UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beast promo gators...my grail...I never thought it would turn into this...

fatcow

I feel like I haven't had the chance to talk about gators enough and how desperately I want them now. After receiving the red Vorin from a very enthusiastic Zach at c2e2, reading the ashcan comic and reading an interview on comicbookresources with the writes behind the BB comic...I have to say I AM HOOKED. I love my DC minimates which is still my core collection, but BB are taking over. I am in the process of trying to acquire a gray vorin without breaking the bank and now am obsessed with the promo gators from the past few years.

I've managed to track down a red one and a golden one but haven't confirmed a purchase yet so still nervous. Is anyone else as obsessed with these as I am? Anyone have extras? What should I do...have you ever been obsessed with a minimate this disturbingly much...I feel ashamed.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only minimates I own are a few of the universal monster ones.

I've been curious about the gators for a while, but I've never actually bought one. I just can't pay that kind of price. I do find myself looking at picture of them from time to time.

I remember when I first saw the silver gator guard I started drawing pictures of gatormen, so it was inspiring.

The only minimates I own are a few of the universal monster ones.

I've been curious about the gators for a while, but I've never actually bought one. I just can't pay that kind of price. I do find myself looking at picture of them from time to time.

I remember when I first saw the silver gator guard I started drawing pictures of gatormen, so it was inspiring.

Are you only interested in the Universal line or are you waiting for a new line to launch like Walking Dead or BB?

And yes the gators are just awesome. I'm dying trying to find all four.

I'm really only interested in the universal lien and the battle beasts.

Waiting on the mummy, and the other BB to come out.

Found a red gator and a gold gator for 35 each with shipping...GRR. So much money...:(

Years back, I was fairly obsessed with getting a wave 2 Symbiote Spidey variant and Nightcrawler Minimate. At the time, both were rare as all hell on eBay, and you had to pay $30-40 to get either one when they did show up. Now, Chinese factory reject Spideys can be had for a couple bucks, and that Nightcrawler's value has fallen through the floor with the re-release.

Thankfully, I was there when the DCD Minimates first came out (they actually got me into Minimates in the first place). Otherwise, I would probably be feeling the same way right now about Batman, Green Lantern, Deathstroke, etc.

Ouch :pinch: That's gotta hurt. I'm looking for a Black and Red Gator myself, not to interested in the silver. I have a gold already. Still looking... :wacko:

The guy I'm getting the Red from may have two, as soon as I find out I'll let you know.

:whistling:

Whistling?

Also just ordered the gold gator guys, pretty excited. Now to get the other three and a gray Vorin...I MUST.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look for the silver and black gators? Are local comic book stores a good idea? I'm not much of a comic book frequenter, I usually shop online.

Good luck with the silver. It RARELY shows up. Unless someone wants to trade it. Your best bet for him or any of them is eBay. I am still looking for a reasonably priced gray it red vorin. Or trade.

What is reasonably priced to you? There is a gray Vorin for 40 bin on Ebay. Not bad considering the other prices. I have a red one but like it way too much to trade. Where should I look for someone to trade with? Do I just keep reminding people here? Haha. Are other toy forums are good bet?

Before you break the bank, fatcow, or sell your soul to minijeff, keep in mind that there will likely be another Gator made made at some point, one that fits in a little better with the current look of the line. I'm not saying he'll be in Wave 1, but I've seen the comic design, and it's pretty dope. And there will be multiple painted Vorins.

And screamfleet, I have to say I read your first comment and had to double-check what board I was on. I feel like I have never met a casual collector here.

Before you break the bank, fatcow, or sell your soul to minijeff, keep in mind that there will likely be another Gator made made at some point, one that fits in a little better with the current look of the line. I'm not saying he'll be in Wave 1, but I've seen the comic design, and it's pretty dope. And there will be multiple painted Vorins.

And screamfleet, I have to say I read your first comment and had to double-check what board I was on. I feel like I have never met a casual collector here.

*sigh* Why can't you just let me have the gators...I will consider controlling myself...hopefully minijeff doesn't ask for my soul. Already sold it for tickets to c2e2 last minute so I could come see you guys!

Also Zach, have you read about my new business venture? A gym with a collectibles/video games/retro pop culture theme? We are doing a minimate display case! :)

What is reasonably priced to you?

$100 is standard. Anything below that is reasonable. Now go get a job and stop bugging me. Between you and the greek kid, I don't want to come here any more.

Sorry Dinobot, will get a job asap. The question wasn't directed at you if that makes it any less annoying.

And Minijeff I sent you a pm.

Casual on mini-figures, fairly full on with transformers.

As for mini-figures, the universal minimates, some marvel mega bloks, and a few 80's battle beasts, and just all kind of assorted making up my little collection.

This is a really nice board to just lurk and post every now and then though. It's really just about the toys, not so much about the various things the toys are based on. It's good to be casual at times.

It's extremely frustrating keeping quiet about how many Minimates I have but I came to the decision ,years ago, that actually declaring how many of this or that might be counterproductive . I'm still defensive about it but in this instance I'm going to answer Fatcow's question . A couple of points you should consider before judging me harshly ,everything I buy costs me a cross-Atlantic shipping charge & invariably a customs charge.I have travelled twice to SDCC from the UK purely/specifically to go to the Minimates booth ,meet MMMVers,Chuck & the gang .....although it cost me big bucks it was worth it . I also get tons of help from fellow-members & I hope I do fairly well in giving others help . Whilst I'm not poor, I'm buttheadsmate not billgatesheadmate.

Bear all that in mind when I say that it is incomprehensible why everybody here who has been here since the Battle Beast announcement years ago hasn't got at least one 'gator ......WTF didn't you buy the carry case containing the 'red' one ? Those cases have been consistently available online & ebay for years & it is only this week that they've become 'interesting' & flown ...just $20 for the case & the 'gator. The promos are a different matter,the 'silver' is a 'retailer give-away' & like rocking horse-shit ......I'll take the opportunity to say that this type of promo is a kick in the bollocks to ordinary collectors (me & you).

C2E2 2010 brought us the 'black' which seemed plentiful (on ebay) & remained so for a long time . Then came SDCC2010,in due course I lined up for my 'gold' ,subsequently in conversation with Chuck he personally gave a 'silver' each to Cappy & I ...just gave them,no pressure no cookie :lol: I'm actually embarrassed to say that I nearly succeeded in unloading a rubber,imitation cookie onto Chuck the previous day....he twigged it just in time :blush:

Go to the Con get a promo ...that seems fair to me ,get more than one ....that's a bonus & you'll either spread the karma or find ebay . I have yet to sell any of mine ......work it out. How much are they worth? Now is a seller's market rather than a buyer's market but there are few Minimates that have consistently held up at over $40 over the years ....'silver gator' might be one of those for a long time yet.

So how many have I got ? Still not saying :no:

Edited by buttheadsmate

So how many have I got ? Still not saying

So, for all we know, it could be none. :P

I think it's weird you keep it secret though. I'd like to see pictures of your collection. I wouldn't ask you to part with any of your figures for any amount of money, it's your collection, I get that. People see my stuff and make offers, and I turn them down, it's not why I posting the pics. Seeing a big collection is always impressive though. I love seeing those mass armies of storm troopers or something. I'd never spend that much on all them, but it's really cool when someone else does and shows it off. I want to try to respect your position, I don't understand it, and that's certainly no reason to disrespect it. Still, if you have a nice army going, it'd be great if you could share pictures.

So how many have I got ? Still not saying

So, for all we know, it could be none. :P

I think it's weird you keep it secret though. I'd like to see pictures of your collection. I wouldn't ask you to part with any of your figures for any amount of money, it's your collection, I get that. People see my stuff and make offers, and I turn them down, it's not why I posting the pics. Seeing a big collection is always impressive though. I love seeing those mass armies of storm troopers or something. I'd never spend that much on all them, but it's really cool when someone else does and shows it off. I want to try to respect your position, I don't understand it, and that's certainly no reason to disrespect it. Still, if you have a nice army going, it'd be great if you could share pictures.

Like you I really love seeing pictures of mass armies & the collection thread pictures are my favourites .

Some of my Phoenix army ....

post-638-0-79983400-1335611016_thumb.jpg

In this particular instance the majority of my 'gators are bagged ,does this really make a good picture ?

post-638-0-95680400-1335610940_thumb.jpg

This picture on ebay has been haunting me for months post-638-0-20833900-1335611298_thumb.jpg

18 Dead Sixes ....who would want them ? There are some very odd people here.

In this particular instance the majority of my 'gators are bagged ,does this really make a good picture ?

It's not bad. It could be cooler if they were out and about. What's cool though is you don't have equal amounts. That actually makes the reds like grunts, or pawns, and the silver like, a general or something. Get enough you might be able to make a chess set out of them!

I really need to get on top of photographing my starscream army. I don't have a good camera at all.

http://imgur.com/0wey7

I have some odd 25 of those guys, the other 20 or so are in storage.

It's extremely frustrating keeping quiet about how many Minimates I have but I came to the decision ,years ago, that actually declaring how many of this or that might be counterproductive . I'm still defensive about it but in this instance I'm going to answer Fatcow's question . A couple of points you should consider before judging me harshly ,everything I buy costs me a cross-Atlantic shipping charge & invariably a customs charge.I have travelled twice to SDCC from the UK purely/specifically to go to the Minimates booth ,meet MMMVers,Chuck & the gang .....although it cost me big bucks it was worth it . I also get tons of help from fellow-members & I hope I do fairly well in giving others help . Whilst I'm not poor, I'm buttheadsmate not billgatesheadmate.

Bear all that in mind when I say that it is incomprehensible why everybody here who has been here since the Battle Beast announcement years ago hasn't got at least one 'gator ......WTF didn't you buy the carry case containing the 'red' one ? Those cases have been consistently available online & ebay for years & it is only this week that they've become 'interesting' & flown ...just $20 for the case & the 'gator. The promos are a different matter,the 'silver' is a 'retailer give-away' & like rocking horse-shit ......I'll take the opportunity to say that this type of promo is a kick in the bollocks to ordinary collectors (me & you).

C2E2 2010 brought us the 'black' which seemed plentiful (on ebay) & remained so for a long time . Then came SDCC2010,in due course I lined up for my 'gold' ,subsequently in conversation with Chuck he personally gave a 'silver' each to Cappy & I ...just gave them,no pressure no cookie :lol: I'm actually embarrassed to say that I nearly succeeded in unloading a rubber,imitation cookie onto Chuck the previous day....he twigged it just in time :blush:

Go to the Con get a promo ...that seems fair to me ,get more than one ....that's a bonus & you'll either spread the karma or find ebay . I have yet to sell any of mine ......work it out. How much are they worth? Now is a seller's market rather than a buyer's market but there are few Minimates that have consistently held up at over $40 over the years ....'silver gator' might be one of those for a long time yet.

So how many have I got ? Still not saying :no:

I understand what you're saying in its entirety but am curious to why you think I would judge you? You're awesome! Travelling across the world to get minimates, despite the word being severely misused now is EPIC to say the least! I can't say I've ever experienced toy envy like I did after seeing your gator pics but along with the envy is a massive sense of admiration and I do appreciate your post.

This is a website full of collectors and people who have been involved with them for many years, for you not to snap or poorly use sarcasm to "e-intimidate" a newbie is very refreshing.

Thanks buttheadsmate! And if you do ever decided to part with one of those gators I'll be waiting, if not, I'll still be lurking in the dark shadows of the multiverse...waiting. :P

If it makes anyone feel any better, I have no gators. I got one shortly after I came on board last year, and gave it away to a contest winner. I'm not sad about it, because I know the regular line will give me more Beasts than I know what to do with. (And I'm an old school Beasts fan.)

That said, as former press I have certainly gotten my share of Toy Fair exclusives over the years. And while it was a nice perk for me, I can see the value of giving a retailer something special. Many of them are fans themselves -- the ultimate fans, because they buy all of these toys to sell them to other fans. I have never met a specialty toy retailer who didn't like toys. If not for them liking and buying our products, we would have far fewer avenues to bring these items to you guys. So consider the retailer promo a necessary rarity.

Between you and the greek kid, I don't want to come here any more.

Man, we keep inviting people here that will annoy you, yet you still hang around. Seriously, what do we have to do to get rid of you? Maybe it'll take something drastic to get the message across, like maybe when you wake up one morning and find a My Little Pony head in your bed. Or would that just be like any other day? :unsure:

I also get tons of help from fellow-members & I hope I do fairly well in giving others help .

My favorite part of the MMMV group discussion at the con this year was when we all came to the conclusion that we've all been picking stuff up for you without realizing the others were doing it also. One day, when someone chronicles the history of Minimates, I'm positive that your name will be included somehow.

And if it makes anyone feel better, I have all of the different gators. I'm sure it just makes me feel better, but I still wanted to state that.