UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

C2E2 2012 - Pictures and info

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I might describe the picture and experience for those not in attendance:

It's sunset, with the sky filled with oranges and darkening shades of purple. In the background are trees, poorly lit by the setting sun. And dominating in the center of the shot is the silhouette of a Minimate, dark and mysterious. Details are hard to make out, except for the large gun he's carrying - is that the same one the Stone Man came with? As you stare at the figure, you notice the irregular upper arms, like the Minimate comes with puffy sleves. But is that a ridge on his head? And that strange edge on the top of his torso - possibly some sort of collar piece? And what about the bulge around the waist - is that a belt with some sort of skirt or shirt tails attached to it?

Just as the details come into view, the picture is gone. Zach is talking about how the figure will be revealed this week on Marvel.com, but you are still trying to understand who or what you have just saw. In your head, you know you can't be sure. But in your heart - your heart knows who it was. The long wait is almost over.

After looking through my notes from the panel, I have to say that youbastards has done a wonderful job reporting the news. I can only add a few things and thoughts:

- From the artwork we saw, it looks like the Battle Beasts use a lot of sculpted pieces. A lot. If you don't like sculpted figures, these will not be for you. But if you do, you're in for a treat. The designs Zach showed for the scorpion and tarantula are bulky, massive figures. Each comes with four legs thanks to a brand new hip piece. The scorpion comes with a tail and big detailed claws. The rattlesnake comes with a lower coiled snake body that plugs into a standard Minimate torso. I can't wait to see actual figures of the designs.

- Another interesting fact about the Battle Beasts - they will be released in waves based on location - for example, most of the animals shown were desert animals. So in the future expect forest sets, water sets, etc.

- If you like guns for your Minimates, pick up the Expendables box set. The first set comes with 12 guns and some knives. The second planned set will come with more.

- Hulk box set is scheduled for 2013 right now, and will an unnamed retailer exclusive.

- The first wave of Battle Beasts are scheduled for October just as the comic mini-series wraps up. Zach hopes to have the comic become ongoing.

- My favorite Zach quote explaining Battle Beasts - "They're beasts, and they battle".

- Also, Chuck wasn't in attendance, so Zach presented the panel by himself. And did a wonderful job, too.

- And how come no one is talking about the fact that the Santa Pirate ship has a release date - October 2012?

BTW, Boyd, I'm curios: is your wife a fan, or was she just along for the ride? Has she been to a con before? Anyway, I think you should now convince her to join as Mrs. Boyd. :thumbsup:

Mrs. Boyd has been to many conventions with me, including San Diego. While she doesn't enjoy everything, there's a lot of stuff at conventions she does like. And no, she says she's not joining the forum, because you'd all get sick of her asking when we're going to get Disco Dazzler.

Also, it's really weird calling her Mrs. Boyd.

- From the artwork we saw, it looks like the Battle Beasts use a lot of sculpted pieces. A lot. If you don't like sculpted figures, these will not be for you. But if you do, you're in for a treat. The designs Zach showed for the scorpion and tarantula are bulky, massive figures. Each comes with four legs thanks to a brand new hip piece. The scorpion comes with a tail and big detailed claws. The rattlesnake comes with a lower coiled snake body that plugs into a standard Minimate torso. I can't wait to see actual figures of the designs.

This just made the Battle Beasts go from an interesting curiousity I'll probably pick up to "Must Have"! :D

I don't know if it was brought up yet, but at the panel there was discussion as to whether the Walrus BB even had a Minimate head underneath all of the sculpting. I saythat just to reiterate that the BB line is very, very different than normal Minimates. But they look awesome nonetheless.

And again, this may have been brought up (and I'm too tired to look), but it was made very clear that the only thing these Battle Beasts share with any other toy line is just in name only. I would go so far to say that Zach came across aggressive when making this point. I think DST is trying to put distance between the original line and this from the start and that may be a hard pill to swallow for harcore fans. Frankly, what was shown was way better than anything with a rub sign and, to me, has shown it already has enough groundwork to be an amazing line with some serious longevity. I listened at the booth to Zach explain the line to a couple guys from a site that seemed very excited about the return of Battle Beast ('Man, I had a bunch of those as a kid'). There was the initial confusion ('Do they still have the rub signs?'), then some obvious disappointment. But as Zach showed them the comic and explained the story, they seemed more excited. Actually, I think the one guy could care less about any of it, but the other guy seemed to be sold after a one minute discussion. Maybe not for all old shcool fans, but it will definitely draw in new fans.

And if boyd's wife gets Disco Dazzler (who Zach thought was already made) before I get Squirrel Girl, there will be a bake off. Yes, I will find a way to get revenge.

Mirymate, you just have to face the facts...its time to change your signature! :thumbsup:

I hope so. But I'm a big believer in the old policy of "Trust but verify."

Just as the details come into view, the picture is gone. Zach is talking about how the figure will be revealed this week on Marvel.com, but you are still trying to understand who or what you have just saw. In your head, you know you can't be sure. But in your heart - your heart knows who it was.

Except for Dino, who admitted later he thought it was a new War Machine. I only say this because I wonder how many people in the panel actually recognized it or if you needed to really have Kang in mind to see it with that quick of a peek.

just got a chance to reread all the reports and take a better look at the photo's taken, i want to thank you all (YB, Boyd, GH)for taking the time to give us all the info, and being so detailed at that :D

now onto the next con meeting, SDCC!

Man, y'alls voices changed on the boards now. It's a bit odd. I'm back in St Louis, still 800 miles from home. Fly out tomorrow. YB, That Flint just fit in my suitcase. :P Good hanging out with y'all. I will attest to my amazement that I got to meet these guys I've known for years, and when you see them in person, they're exactly like you knew they'd be. We talked about events and people like they are real on a communal level, not just a creepy personal lever where you wonder if its all in your head.

I did think the photo was War Machine, but only because the ridges on the helmet looked so similar. I agree that Kang makes much more sense. Fortunately I have a photographic memory. Utilizing my art skills, I have replicated an exact duplicate of the photo:

player_m16_shooting.jpg

Okay. photographic memory? Yes. Art skills? No. :P

I got the impression talking to Zach that he doesn't ant Pirates to go on hiatus because that's his pet, but his hands are so full with Battle Beasts it isn't even funny. But he's a really nice guy and incredibly professional and calm under fire. I know there's no way I could do his job. Amazing guy and I love having him around. Great job, Zach!

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Haven't bought any of the pirate mates so far, but will get the Santa ship! Glad to hear we're getting Kang too. I don't care all that much for him, but it's nice to see some persistence from a few of you guys finally pay off.

Great coverage and photos, thanks all of you. Im just gutted I wasn't there. I dream of the day that UK cons are as big as the US ones.

The design sheets we saw were very impressive, but as Zach mentioned, there is a LOT of sculpting on these, so fans of the classic design may be disappointed. These are by far the biggest departure I've seen from the classic Minimate design, but it works and they still retain the charm of the simple Minimate.

- From the artwork we saw, it looks like the Battle Beasts use a lot of sculpted pieces. A lot. If you don't like sculpted figures, these will not be for you. But if you do, you're in for a treat. The designs Zach showed for the scorpion and tarantula are bulky, massive figures.

I don't know if it was brought up yet, but at the panel there was discussion as to whether the Walrus BB even had a Minimate head underneath all of the sculpting. I saythat just to reiterate that the BB line is very, very different than normal Minimates. But they look awesome nonetheless.

Okay, so everyone is clear that these are bulky, bulkier than any other Minimate line released so far, right? Please, no bi+ching about how bulky they are and "they don't look like Minimate" or "Meh, too much sculpting" when the full designs or finished product for these are shown! Set your expectations now! :tongue:

At this point, Zach's gotta be really worried if it's not Kang they're teasing.

BTW, Boyd, I'm curios: is your wife a fan, or was she just along for the ride? Has she been to a con before? Anyway, I think you should now convince her to join as Mrs. Boyd. :thumbsup:

Mrs. Boyd has been to many conventions with me, including San Diego. While she doesn't enjoy everything, there's a lot of stuff at conventions she does like. And no, she says she's not joining the forum, because you'd all get sick of her asking when we're going to get Disco Dazzler.

Also, it's really weird calling her Mrs. Boyd.

Hey, if it helps, I'm totally on board with a disco Dazzler campaign. :thumbsup:

My wife's been to several small regional cons, but never one of the big ones, mostly because it's just too expensive if you're just a casual fan. And, frankly, I don't need her to see how much money I spend at NYCC every year. :unsure:

Edited by hellpop

Aw, I'm blushing you guys. it was good to talk to all of you and put faces with avatars (names will fade from my mind as they usually do.) both sets of cookies were delicious, and got us through teardown. I saved a giant BB poster, but folded it to fit in my suitcase. We'll see how it travels. one thing: the wseries will not be grouped by region, but the characters will. Series 1 will have a mix of characters from the first issue. Also, I will gladly judge any cookie bakee-off. We should start a cookie thread.

Also, I will gladly judge any cookie bakee-off. We should start a cookie thread.

I'll talk to my wife about a bake-off. Think you can schedule time in next year's panel for it? :)

Haven't bought any of the pirate mates so far, but will get the Santa ship!

Yeah! Great to see someone else excited by Pirate Santa!

That settles it, the cookie bake off is on. Also, it's obvious that Zach is hinting about a Pillsbury Doughboy Minimate and I'll speculate now he'll be packed with Ernie the Keebler Elf.

Return of the Kellog's Mates!!!!! You heard it hear first!! :whistling:

Would have been nice to go. It would have been very cool to meet some other boardies. I did meet Zach and Uriel at NYCC (dream come true, really, they're both great guys and i'm jealous of Uriel's art.) and Zach, you really have a good handle on everything. We might not say it much, but we really are extremely glad and grateful to have on the brand and the forum!! :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the news everyone!