UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Does the Minimates logo need a retool?

30 members have voted

1. 1. The Minimates logo...

• ...is fine, leave it alone.
    • ...could use an update.

This is something I've been thinking about for a while, but it really struck me when I was unboxing the Age of X set yesterday. Against the pastel yellow of that box, the Minimates logo seemed really... juvenile.

The logo is ten years old now (more?), and while its multicolor, crayon-drawn character has its own charm, I often wonder if it isn't aiming a little low. I know younger kids are an important audience for these, but if you look at other toys targeted to that age group, they manage to say "fun" with a level of refinement and polish.

I would guess when AA was first launching the line, they didn't have a ton of time or money to spend on logo development, so (as I know happens in these cases) they probably knocked it together real quick to have something on the package, and it's stuck. Or, maybe I'm wrong, and it was calculated to have a hand-done, "graffiti" aesthetic to emphasize Digger's original vision of them being a primarily customizable platform. Either way, with the maturing of the line, especially over the last few years, I feel like it could use maybe not a complete overhaul, but a sprucing up.

Do any of you feel the same way?

Edited by Lobsterman

I think its fine; bold, colourful and shouldn't be taken too seriously. That's what makes the product itself work for me.

I think something called minimates... yes, mini mates, would look far sillier with a grim and gritty logo.

Perhaps if DC mates come back, the 'new 52' mates can have a flashy metallic and soulless logo to match.

I haven't seen the other packaging for the Age of X set so i can't really comment on that, i do like the Minimates Logo as it is.

Or, maybe I'm wrong, and it was calculated to have a hand-done, "graffiti" aesthetic to emphasize Digger's original vision of them being a primarily customizable platform.

^I think the fun and bold design points certainly towards the minimates versatility and easy customizable figure. I think this is spot on. I wonder how many fans of Minimates feel the logo needs updating?

Rich

I would agree that it does need an update. But this has more to do with me never really liking it in the first place. Also, the customizer in me, and the creative part of me is always looking to other ways of doing things and changing them. The logo (to me anyway) reminds me of stuff you see on tv and in movies, where it is a childs drawing, but so totally obvious it was done by someone on the crew. It is something silly that has always bugged me. for example, the perfectly placed backwards letter, or cute way Kat is spelled wrong. Hogwash I tell ya'!

we should do a (just for fun) logo contest, to see how each of us would alter the logo.:biggrin:

Seeing as they have been around this long, the current logo is kind of a trademark for minimates.

I wouldn't mind seeing an update but I think it should still kind of look similar to the original.

Like youbastards GI Joe example....take the logo itself, it is basically the same logo but has a few tweeks here and there and it looks a bit better.

Maybe with each wave that comes out, change the colors of the letters to match the "Theme" (as best as possible)......Captain America wave use red, white and blue. A hulk wave, make the letters all Green...I dunno, just some thoughts.

Personally I think the logo seems really childish,crayon styling and all,but then again thats what line is trying to appeal to (for the most part)

Though the logo is a bit outdated now,personally I think they could retain the same colour full scheme so it can appeal to the younger audiences,and include a new steel like font(like the gi joe logo)

As with many nerds, i don't like change for the sake of change (Mr Sinister is a woman now? . . . Uncanny X-Men is starting over @ #1???).

I kind of like the minimates logo. It may have seemed a bit slap-dash to start with, but it really has become the recognisable face of the Brand.

I'd be open to seeing potential updates, but overall i'm pretty happy with the current design.

The trick to good design is making the old feel new and the new seem familiar. When I brought it up, I hadn't really imagined the logo going in a totally different direction with some kind of chromed-out Mountain Dew XXXTREEME!!!! overhaul, just some refining and polishing.

You know, if Zach were reading, I'd love to hear his input... <_<

Edited by Lobsterman

Graphic designers always want change. :rolleyes:

I was just a lowly printer (did I mention that before :whistling: ) I therefore....obviously.... know little of design & merely ate the crumbs from the table of the Design Gods. That said,a good logo may not stand the test of time & in the case of the Minimate logo it sometimes shows its age, never more so than when it is 'blown up'....the Minimate collectors case 'design' is perhaps the most dreadful example of how bad things can get if a logo can't take the heat. I like the Minimates logo ,perhaps I've just gotten used to it? For the reasons I mentioned it may not be perfect but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Maybe with each wave that comes out, change the colors of the letters to match the "Theme" (as best as possible)......Captain America wave use red, white and blue. A hulk wave, make the letters all Green...I dunno, just some thoughts.

This is exactly how I feel. I think the logo is fine as is, especially the newer version with the white glow, but I think the colors could be changed at times without hurting the brand. Other companies change their logo colors for special events and products, and I think certain minimate lines would benefit from a subtle change. For example, I would like to see the Maximum Zombies line get a red or black minimates logo. I have tried to do this with some of my customizing projects when the colored logo looked out of place (examples here and here).

While working on a school project a year or so ago, one of my professors asked of that was the official logo and when I said yes her response was "that's unfortunate." I don't know if it needs a complete redo, I do like the idea of making it different colors depending on the package/line it's being used on. It would be nice to come up with some new versions though, just to get an new perspective. Maybe I'll have to tackle this if I get some spare time.

You know, if Zach were reading, I'd love to hear his input... <_<

The only thing that ever bugged me was the drastic change in letter size, but the new tweak evens that out, and makes it more legible. I don't think we'll be changing it again any time soon. Although once we get our 10th anniversary logo on the packaging, you guys might dig it.