UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

CustomCon 30

boyd

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to have some nice lookin' mates to represent among the sea of ML.

And there's day three of CustomCon.

And it brings us another two great Minimate Sets.

First of all Luke's second set of the season, the highly anticipated ('cause he alreday had the Factory teaser) Pirates of the Caribbean set. Very cool! That Captain Sparrow mate is just great! :pirate:

And something I didn't expect at all: Nervous brings us a whole truckload of G.I. Joe mates! Lots of sculpting and great details! Man, how did you do Cobra Commander's shiny head? I guess my favorit here is the Cobra Trooper/Pilot with the Halo vehicle. :thumbsup:

Two wonderful sets of Minimates today.

Luke's Pirates are fantastic. You really nailed the likeness of Jack Sparrow and Barbossa.

And as a kid who grew up playing with GI Joes, Nervous' customs are great and nostalgic. Your customs make me glad that Diamond doesn't have the license, because I would be buying them all.

Nice work you two!

Luke, had you been thinking about doing POTC for a while, or was it inspired by the Pirates line?

Nervous, your customs have been making me nostalgic for the toys of my youth! More Joes on the horizon? I'd love to see Barbecue, a B.A.T., Storm Shadow, Dr Mindbender... I'm sure you're already on it. :) And that chromed Cobra Commander... yeah... :whistling:

Edited by Lobsterman

Thanks guys! The POTC customs were actually commission pieces, although I would have made an extra set for myself if I had the parts. It was a sad day when I had to put them in the mail.

Luke, I have plenty of extra pirate pieces if you wish to trade for 'em. Let me know.

Nervous: your GI Joes look great and make me long for an official wave. How did you do Flint's hat? It doesn't look sculpted, but if it is, nice job. :thumbsup:

Hey, Hey, Thanks gang! I'm glad you dig them.For some time, I have wanted to experiment with sculpting just little parts like collars, and beards, and stuff like that. I think they fit in a bit better now with all of the sculpted parts we have. didn't want to take the minimate essence out of them. Thanks again for all the kind words. I'm back, and wanted to come back with a bang! (or whatever red and blue lasers sound like :rolleyes:)

Nervous: your GI Joes look great and make me long for an official wave. How did you do Flint's hat? It doesn't look sculpted, but if it is, nice job. :thumbsup:

This might be the biggest compliment I ever got... I actually sculpted it using green stuff, as well as CC's collar, vipers vest, shipwreck's hat/collar, and a ton of stuff on the dreadnoks.

more coming soon!

Thanks everyone for the Crayonmate love.

Did you sculpt each crayon head individually, or did you cast them in different colored resin?

I sculpted one crayon tip out of Sculpey, then made a quick silicon mold out of it. Then I stuffed the mold with Magic Sculpt and made dozens of crayon tips that I glued to Minimate heads. Then I just painted them.

The tips all came out a little differently because of my inexperience with working with molds, and Magic Sculpt is not the best compound to use with molds, but I was OK with it. It gave them all a unique feel, like someone had colored with them already.

The tips all came out a little differently because of my inexperience with working with molds, and Magic Sculpt is not the best compound to use with molds, but I was OK with it. It gave them all a unique feel, like someone had colored with them already.

Oh, I think the irregularity of them is really great. I figured you cast the same piece and glued it on at different angles, but I love that each one is a little different.

Yo Boyd... I love these mates! and Lobsterman was right, the simplest designs really are the best ... and work with minimates so well!

I could not figure out for the life of me what you were working on when you showed the workbench with all of the tips on it... Bravo!

ps. Way to think outside the box!<_<:thumbsup:

Edited by Nervous