UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

youbastards' customs - ALIEN Ripley & EFNY Snake Plissken [01-21-2015]

With the new baby, I haven't had much time to work on my customs.

However, I saw the MU Iron Spider today at TRU and immediately decided to update the Minimate!

As useless as this costume was, one of the coolest things about it was the mechanical arms, why DST left those off the Minimate, we'll never know. Maybe they were classified as a "vehicle"???

Anyway, the MU figure comes with 4 arms, but I only remember 3 in the comics. Here is a pic with 3 arms:

ironspider1.jpg

Here is a pic with all 4 arms:

ironspider2.jpg

Here is a pic of the back of the Minimate:

ironspider3.jpg

The base is fairly easy to pry off of the MU figure, there are 2 bars that hold it in place. Once off, all you need to do is cut off the bars. I also shaved the sides of the base down slightly, as they hang over the Minimate body just slightly.

A little super glue, and you have a comic accurate Iron Spider! (well, except for the missing paint detail on the tampo...)

I thought about trying to paint an Angel 'wing holder' the same shade of red and attaching the arm base to that instead, but decided it wasn't worth that extra effort.

Edited by youbastards

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shang-Chi, the Master of Kung Fu!

I was able to grab 2 pix before my camera battery died. I'm not 100% happy with the face decal, but this was the first face decal I've drawn from scratch (using GIMP), so I'm not entirely unhappy with it either. I'm guessing that I'll just keep the face the way it is, and hopefully if my ability improves, I'll be able to look back at it one day and compare.

shangchi2.jpg

shangchi1.jpg

Here's the decal I created using Luke's blank template. If anyone feels like making any modifications to it, please share. :)

shangchi2.jpg

Edited by youbastards

I have always liked white tiger as a character from when I first saw him in an old spider man comic as a kid, so great to see a custom of him.

I would be surprised to see an official minimate of him as he is a little on the obscure side of Marvel characters but anything's possible seeing as he could be produced with no extra tooling and is just tampo's over a blank white base. (Are you reading AA/DST!)

If I had one little quibble it is the amulet I know its jade and that's the colour scheme you have gone for but I always seem to remember it as a yellow colour but that is prob down to the old style printing styles of comics.

Cool to see one of my fave obscure characters made and I'm a big fan of obscure characters. Thanks.

I would be surprised to see an official minimate of him as he is a little on the obscure side of Marvel characters but anything's possible seeing as he could be produced with no extra tooling and is just tampo's over a blank white base. (Are you reading AA/DST!)

They would probably do one of his niece, Angela, instead. The new White Tiger has been getting a lot of development in Daredevil's comic, recently.

Thanks Minifiend, as you can tell, I'm a fan of obscure characters too! :)

As for the amulet, when I was making the decal I looked online and found both instances of a yellowish-gold and green. I went with the green amulet as a better contrast.

I may still revise the decals a little, maybe I'll print up a yellow amulet to see how it looks.

That was my thought too, the new White Tiger has a better chance of a 'mate than old Hector. She would be great in a Shadowland theme wave. :thumbsup:

Just a quick one tonight.

A revised Frank Miller's Wolverine:

millerwolverine.jpg

I've always loved the Miller Wolverine mini, and the brown suit is my favorite. I've never been happy with the official brown suit Wolvie 'mate, so like many others, decided to take advantage of the great TRU price on the Dark Avengers set to get a couple extra Dakens for custom fodder.

98% Daken (I used 2 Daken non-tattoo arms, and modified the elbow joint so it can rotate the other direction)

1% Wave 28 Wolverine

1% paint

With the Battle Damaged Brown suit Wolvie from the recent 90's X-Men boxset, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing an official DST reissue, but I decided not to wait.