UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Goth Girl Minimate Promo

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, this one is out of left field. Think I'll ask a question to this person myself.

Regarding "why the Minimate," from Wikipedia:

Barry Lyga, nicknamed Barry "Radical" Lyga, is an American young adult novelist and short story writer. He lives in the desert southwest. Lyga (born September 11, 1971 (1971-09-11) (age 37)) majored in English at Yale receiving his BA in 1993. He then spent ten years working at Diamond Comic Distributors after having spent his teenage years immersed in comic books. During this period, Lyga had seen his short stories published.

--edit: question submitted! C'mon Minimate!! :D --

Edited by karamazov80

Wow!! I gotta say, i LOVE Goths. Just the very nature of them appeals to me, so this is a MUST. And by the looks of the Minimate, i know i want to win one. A LOT. That just looks like tons of fun to have in any collection.

Question submitted. :)

Wait, just city?? No zip code or State??

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Where'd you guys submit your questions? Mine is the last one showing up where I posted mine...

Rather than flood his questions section with a bunch of minimate geeks I thought I'd use the contact section & go straight to the horses mouth.

I will admit I'm a little worried we will flood the site with minimate geekery if everyone runs there to post something.

T.

p.s. it looks like TTF just commented right in that thread rather than asking a question.

I asked a question for the blog or whatever to be answered on the guy's video, so that I could try and win a Minimate. I honestly don't care that much about how the Minimate came to be, etc.

--edit: and now that I read the other questions, of course it was already asked. What a dumbass I am. :D I deserve no Minimate :( --

Edited by karamazov80

I have been known to be wrong :ohmy: but I've been hanging around here long enough to detect & recognize a certain member's polished style when I see it .....& it oozes from this little 'baby'. ;)

That was actually my original thought. But the website author has more than 20 of these to give away. That seems a little too high of an amount for a customizer (even if he is a pro ;)), but yet, maybe too low for DST?

I have been known to be wrong :ohmy: but I've been hanging around here long enough to detect & recognize a certain member's polished style when I see it .....& it oozes from this little 'baby'. ;)

That was actually my original thought. But the website author has more than 20 of these to give away. That seems a little too high of an amount for a customizer (even if he is a pro ;)), but yet, maybe too low for DST?

Who's to say that 20 is all that he has. If he has a book coming out he is likely to be going on some sort of book tour to promote it. A minimate would be a good promo item wouldn't you agree?

Where'd you guys submit your questions? Mine is the last one showing up where I posted mine...

Rather than flood his questions section with a bunch of minimate geeks I thought I'd use the contact section & go straight to the horses mouth.

I will admit I'm a little worried we will flood the site with minimate geekery if everyone runs there to post something.

T.

p.s. it looks like TTF just commented right in that thread rather than asking a question.

Whoops!! thanks for that notice, Tim; i just sent him an e-mail with my question, and also said "i first asked this in your comments section by accident; i hope that's alright." hopefully it doesn't ruin my chances... :(

So here's the scoop on these... This is the reply I got from Barry after asking a for a little info on them!

Hi, Tim,

Glad you like the Goth Girl Minimate! I'd be happy to tell you how it came about.

GOTH GIRL RISING is the sequel to my first book, THE ASTONISHING ADVENTURES OF FANBOY & GOTH GIRL. Both books deal with not only the coming-of-age trials of teenagedom, but also various aspects of geek culture, especially comic books. For the sequel, I knew that I wanted to do something fun and different as a promotion, something that no one else had done. I spent a lot of time thinking about exactly what that might be, but I couldn't really come up with anything unique.

As it turns out, my brother runs a company called Stupid Kat, which does marketing and promotions, so I decided to tap his expertise. We talked it over and out of those conversations, the idea of a Kyra minimate came up.

I worked at Diamond Comic Distributors several years and still know people there. Stupid Kat has good contacts at Diamond Select Toys. So we asked some questions, got some information, and the next thing you knew, the Goth Girl Minimate was for real!

In the end, it's just one of those situations where everything came together perfectly. Like I said before, I really wanted to do something special and unique as a reward to the fans of the first book who waited so long for a sequel and for the newcomers who are coming on board with the second book. I don't think any other authors have ever done this before. It should be a lot of fun.

Since we made such a limited quantity, we're only giving the minimates away as rewards for contests and the like. So, the people who entered the GOTH GIRL RISING Trailer Contest will be getting one. And right now we're accepting submissions for questions for a special video we're making -- anyone whose question is chosen will get one. And there will be some other contests and giveaways in the next weeks and months where people will have a chance to win a minimate.

I hope that helps! LMK if you have any other questions.

Barry

Hope this helps to give some background.

T.

That is very cool B)

The numbers on this Minimate do sound a bit low for it to be official, but it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility. After Chef Duff came out I'd always wondered who'd be the next to bite the "DST-commissioned personalized 'mate" bullet. Goth Girl appears to be a relatively simple design, but still fantastic to see in official form.

Hopefully this 'mate finds a really good audience... and I want one :sweat:

EDIT: Here's the Goth Girl minimate packaging

package.jpg

Edited by NorthRaider

I like it. Although I fear it will take me a while to get this one for the DB. I'm not versed in that subculture, so it's hard to come up with a relevant question. Thankfully I've got until the end of the month to do some research. :)

Edited by Ivan

I used to listen to the Misfits and Depeche Mode when I was in middle school. Therefore, I am the most Goth member, and deserve this Minimate more than the rest of you. You must sent it to me if you win.

Edited by karamazov80

He also mentions the book publisher may be giving these away? That would make sense that this wouldn't be quite a limited as just the 20 or so minimates.

That is a seriously cool promo mate. I do want one.

That comment scares me enough I'll have to obey if I win.

k80, I'll never look at you the same again.

Don't tell me you're not a fan of "

"?

I guess that is what "goth" is?

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds are awesome! :buttrock:

And im pretty sure "Goth Girl" is just a companion for your Luke MiniMate. :P