UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Huge Surprise planned for ToyFair 2011 - What is it?

ToyFair 2011 Huge Surprise  

61 members have voted

1. 1. So what will be the minimate related surprise?

• DC
    • Disney (including PotC, Muppets, etc)
    • Video Game lines
    • Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit
    • Old Movies (like Godfather, Western Trilogy, etc)
    • New Movies (Cowboys and Aliens, etc)
    • Cartoon Shows (Thundercats, Smurfs, etc)
    • Star Wars
    • Sports (NFL, NHL, NBA, WWE)
    • Large Size Minimates
    • New Comic Book lines (not Marvel or DC)
    • James Bond
    • New M.A.X. line
    • TV Show (Buffy, X-Files, Golden Girls, etc)
    • Food related line
    • Something totally different

No, I'm just saying that won't be it.

Not that I don't want it to be. I loved C3. I bought every DCD mate they made. But within all the realm of possibilities, DST getting the DC license is right up there in the impossible range.

And even if DST somehow by some miracle does get the DC license, y'all will still be crushed, because DST will say no to 2.5" bodies. So, seriously, careful what you wish for.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And even if DST somehow by some miracle does get the DC license, y'all will still be crushed, because DST will say no to 2.5" bodies. So, seriously, careful what you wish for.

Personally, I'd be the opposite of crushed. I actually prefer all my mates to be 2" ... since Marvel will never be bigger, it would be nice to have Killer Crock or Bane standing next to Hulk without making him look like a homunculus <_<

That being said, I'm not getting my hopes up for more DC mates. With our luck, it'll be Pac Man

As much as I would LOVE if it was Star Wars, I can't see it happening as long as Lego is around.

Another I'd wish for would be Doctor Who, but I doubt that's it either.

My choice and hope would be a return of Star Trek minimates. There is still so much that could be done, including the Shuttlecraft. It would be a great license to expand into playsets as well, with a bridge for each crew as well as transporter rooms, sick bays, even environments like the Guardian of Forever or Vulcan arena from Amok Time.

Toys R Us wants exclusive lines and this could be a great one for them. They've gotten rid of the movie merchandise and the next movie is a couple years away (2012). Now is the time to resurrect Star Trek Minimates!

I was just thinking of licenses with large stables of characters and though, how about Hanna Barbara, or at the very least Scooby Doo? I wont be surprised at all when the Spiderman: The Musical mates get released. You know its gotta happen.

Edited by Rheul

I have longed for Hannah Barbera Minimates since I started collecting them & since the RGB announcement maybe they're closer? Flintstones Minimates would bloody well fly off the shelves :D

-barneyheadsmate

Edit: I guess we need to keep this 'other than a wish-list' & I was going to delete my post however....Hannah Barbera would be huge wouldn't it :yes:

Edited by buttheadsmate

Some ideas that I have been having about this, do you think they might be going for a young girl market and do something like Barbie. I could see these packed as a single figure with maybe 2 or 3 interchangeable outfits. Also if they were aiming a little younger maybe something like the wiggles, or as an outside chance maybe Lockjaw was a test run for one of those pocket pet type franchises you see about. Another girl idea is Twilight which might have some monster crossover appeal.

other random ideas

Hannah Barbera (I know I was piped at the post but things like wave one with a scooby two pack (shaggy and monster) a Josie and the pussycat two pack (Josie and monster) and an El Kabong two pack (El Kabong and BubaLooie). Wave two a Flintstones two pack (Fred and Dino) a Jetsons 2 pack (Jane and Mr Spacley) and a Huckleberry Hound pack (Huckleberry with some other solo character like Snagglepuss or Wally Gator). If done right this series could do a good 15 waves with out trying if they hold back characters like Barney and Scooby till wave 8 or so.

He-Man

South Park

Lady Gaga

Rakin Bass

Futurama

Buffy

Sesame Street

Austin Powers

Narnia

Alice in Wonderland

Sailor Moon

Ben 10

The last airbender

One of the 25 vampire tv shows currently around

The X-Files

I was going to delete my post however....Hannah Barbera would be huge wouldn't it :yes:

Thats what I was trying to come up with. Last thing we need is another wish list. Something truly HUGE... There really aren't many things that would really fit. Star Wars, Hanna Barbara, Disney, DC... I would say any of those would be in the category of huge. Many of the properties mentioned on this thread are FAR from huge. I don't what to sight specifics because I don't want to offend and we all have our favorites. I was trying to be objective.

quick question: can you buy stuff at Toy Fair?

I know its for dealers to show off new products for the year....but didnt know if they sell exclusives and stuff there? I have a friend thats going to be there for work and didnt know if they would be able to get me anything?

I know its for dealers to show off new products for the year....but didnt know if they sell exclusives and stuff there? I have a friend thats going to be there for work and didnt know if they would be able to get me anything?

No you can't. It's strictly for toy companies to showcase their wares to potential distributors. The odd exclusives are handed out by certain companies for those in attendance of the TF.

I don't want to get my hopes up, especially since I bet Rocky 3, Beverly Hills Cop, and the Godfather count as "BIG" licenses and this announcement will probably fall in line with those...

but there's a lot of talk (all rumors as of now) that DC Direct is going to be dramatically reduced in DC's move to LA with Mattel taking over as the main producer of DC action figures and DCD mainly making statues and videogame figures (so basically the same thing Toy-Biz did when Hasbro took over the Marvel license, before deciding to just quit altogether which I'm sure DCD will do when Sideshow offers them a crapton of cash to take over the statue making.)

So everyone guessing DC might not be too far off (yes they said it was a "new" license, but technically they never licensed DC before, Play-Along did for C3 and DCD subcontracted them for their line... this would probably be the first time DST was the official holder of the license), but I'm not going to be surprised more surprised if it's this year's big announcement.

so I guess what I'm saying is: I'm going to say "The films of the Coen Brothers" will be the huge announcement.

Sure seems like a sweet deal, you could get a George Clooney, a Matt Damon, a Brad Pitt, a Bruce Campbell all sorts of fun fodder, plus "The Big Leobowski" and "Fargo" would make fun sets... which would ultimately not pre-order well enough and be quietly canceled, the item remaining on the BBTS pre-order page for the next 5 years until they finally decide to take it down, sending you a cancelation e-mail long after you already knew it was canceled to just sort of rub it in.

No you can't. It's strictly for toy companies to showcase their wares to potential distributors. The odd exclusives are handed out by certain companies for those in attendance of the TF.

thanks thats what I thought, just making sure. So I guess I should have my friend go harass the diamond booth. LOL