UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Universal Monsters Minimates

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hopeful they can get the Dracula and maybe a surprise Invisible Man set out in May. Then they can have Frankenstein and the Mummy out for Halloween. They should spit up the 'heavy hitters' to give the property better longevity, just not a whole year in between.

Has there been any word yet on TRU sets?

I focus on Marvel but I like the black and white versions of these. I can't tell if the Bride in that picture is b&w. I'm hoping they put one out though.

I focus on Marvel but I like the black and white versions of these. I can't tell if the Bride in that picture is b&w. I'm hoping they put one out though.

• 2 months later...

There are a lot of these on clearance at my TRU as well. I just don't know if Universal Monsters have that much mass market Minimate magnetism. Smaller runs and better timing could make a huge difference.

I still think the reason they're on clearance at TRU is because unless you want the black and white ones there's no reason to buy the two packs, because if you want the 'mates the box set is the better deal. Maybe if they'd made one movie TRU exclusive, like a Hunchback wave or Phantom or something.

I still think the reason they're on clearance at TRU is because unless you want the black and white ones there's no reason to buy the two packs, because if you want the 'mates the box set is the better deal. Maybe if they'd made one movie TRU exclusive, like a Hunchback wave or Phantom or something.

At my TRU they only have 1 or 2 Wolf-Man packs left. However, I agree with your point. A TRU exclusive would drive up sales. Or maybe just make all the TRU packs black and white, and have LCS sell the colored versions.

I personally can't wait for these! I saw Omega Red today at TRU, but turned him down. Now I feel foolish.

my TRU has 4 pegs almost completely full of UM1, all the B&W are gone though. i can't believe they got that many of this wave yet never restock the Marvel waves beyond the initial shipment.

• 3 weeks later...

Asked DST on their Facebook page today and they say that the possibility of TRU exclusive sets for Frankenstein and Dracula look good.

I wonder what type of variant we'll see? Black and white versions, obviously. But what else?

Black and white Bride of Frankenstein, hopefully.

Asked DST on their Facebook page today and they say that the possibility of TRU exclusive sets for Frankenstein and Dracula look good.

I wonder what type of variant we'll see? Black and white versions, obviously. But what else?

Black and white Bride of Frankenstein, hopefully.

I'm wondering if the angry villager minimate is still on the table. Remember that one? For sure we will get a B&W pairing of the Monster and Dracula. Not sure if we'll see a B&W Bride, unless DST makes a major change to the TRU line-up.

I think the release of dracula and frankenstein monster will help move wolfman and creature sets. More people will impulse buy a bunch of monsters.

I think this is the main reason for the slow sales of the Monsters last year.

Remember, not everyone who shops at TRU reads the multiverse or the art asylum blog and "minimates.com" they promoted so heavily what was it... 2 years ago? has nothing on it.

So to these customers who don't know about the 2 movies a year plan it looks like they found a picked over case or they found wave 2 and either way missed out on the headliners and are stuck with the c-listers.

There's no way Frank and Drac won't fly off the shelves, they're the big names, the Superman and Batman/Spider-man and Wolverine of the monsters. Gilman and Wolfman are Aquaman and Wonder Woman, a few people like them on their own but don't really have mass appeal without the other two to make a set.

It's also going to help that if the villager is still getting made the TRU sets will have 6 different characters rather then just 3 meaning the casual buyer will want more sets. Last time you could get the Transforming Wolfman/GitD Gilman and get both monsters and skip the other two. Or get the other two and skip the two variant monsters if you needed their default look, this time if you want Frank, Drac, and the Bride you need to pick up 3 different sets (and then you get the Doctor, a villager, and either Harker or Hellsing too. who, with exception of Harker, are pretty visually interesting in their own right)

so yeah, high profile movies plus more characters means this set should sell better and make the peg warmers more appealing to late supporters of the line.

I think the release of dracula and frankenstein monster will help move wolfman and creature sets. More people will impulse buy a bunch of monsters.

It's also going to help that if the villager is still getting made the TRU sets will have 6 different characters rather then just 3 meaning the casual buyer will want more sets. Last time you could get the Transforming Wolfman/GitD Gilman and get both monsters and skip the other two. Or get the other two and skip the two variant monsters if you needed their default look, this time if you want Frank, Drac, and the Bride you need to pick up 3 different sets (and then you get the Doctor, a villager, and either Harker or Hellsing too. who, with exception of Harker, are pretty visually interesting in their own right)

A great line-up would be:

1. Dracula/Van Helsing

2. Frankenstein's Monster/Villager

3. The Bride/Dr. Frankenstein

4. BW Dracula/Renfield

5. BW Frankenstein's Monster/Bride

Then that would leave Mina, Elizabeth, and colored Renfield as the exclusives for the boxset.

• 2 weeks later...

I am all over that angry villager!

It's cool that the LCS Dracula pack has 2 exclusives (Mina & Renfield), wish they had done that with the Frankenstein set too.

Also, it looks like the facial expression on Dracula is different between the LCS and TRU versions, if the pix are correct.

um_minimates_tru2a1.jpg

002_big1.jpg

001_big1.jpg