UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iron Man's New Armor!

NorthRaider

I like it, Extremis was cool BUT IMO to clunky considering how minaturised his tech is these days.

It's been pretty obvious for while that he was getting new armor as he couldn't even pilot the Extremis armor after he lost the virus. In the books he's been wearing older and older armors as he lost his mind & I almost expected a new spin on his classic armor.

I'm just gladto see Tony Stark back and hopefully kicking a certain exgoblins arse soon :)

T.

Meh...I'm getting sick of the whole "looks like Movie Armor" thing. It's annoying and the two should be seperate entities. I miss the days of the classic armors, though i wasn't around for them, like the Classic Red and Gold or the "newer" Silver, harkening back to the first. Hell, my favorite armor was silver Centurion.

I was angry when the comic amor began to look like the Movie, and but now i am just sick of it.

I really like this new armor a lot. I wonder how the minimate version would be designed? Considering it's supposed to be more sleek, do you think that DST would forgo the additional armor pieces that are currently being used on the IM mates, and go with a more old school version with the details painted on?

BS

I love this armor. It feels really 'alien', with all the lights and slim design. It makes sense that he needs a new armor... Extremis is getting old :unsure:

This would be cool in minimate form, and hopefully its a vanilla one, as it doesn't seem like it needs bulk-ups. It would be awesome if it was done in the style of the Modular minimate (Iron Man Through the Ages)!

Well I'm not sold on the odd gold stripes and swoops. Or all the glowing circles. But it's the first armor that orverall I've liked since the Ross inspired went "sentient" and went away. The interim "SKIN" armor was just ugly, and everything since the Grell rework has looked too bukly and overdesgined. From the Mk 1 through the "Modular Armor" the suit was getting sleeker, the "Crossing" suit was a step backward, then there was that brief pause where the armor got reworked for Heroes Reborn into that Manga inspired Promenthius, Duck-faced, cable-covered thing, but we were back into the rythm of the previous models with Heroes Return. And then to my horror, the duck faced look comes back... and pretty much stays for a decade. This new suit is a bit too busy for me, but I like the return to sleeker armor.

As far as it looking like the movie... well... if you'll recall after the first X-movie, the school opened up to actual students again, and all the X-folk abandoned costumes for black leather outfits almost but not quite like the movie. (and made hank into a cat, but thats a rant for another day. beatdeadhorse.gif) So it's not all that surprising that Iron Man's first new suit of post movie armor would have a lot of movie elements. I suppose we should be grateful that 1) Peter's costume wasn't significantly different for the Spider-Movies 2) the Fantastic Four movies weren't that good, else Doom would be sporting that silly looking raincoat hoodie thing.

Edited by Mirymate

I agree with Miry ( who would argue with him on comic stuff anyway ;) ) the suit has always (When he was in recovery and the examples above being the exception.) been getting slimmer.

My take on the light circles are that he is going for a stronger more powerful suit and those "light circles" are either repulsors for manouverability in flight, in the past he's implied he wants to ditch what he has described as "basically rockets strapped to my feet" and repulsor tech would perhaps be the way to go? Or they are simply energy reactors/sources to give the suit more power.

Some folks have complained about the gold, I like it, Iron Man has always been a mixture of Red/Gold and in recent years they've drifted towards more red. With a big push by marvel for the big 3 avengers reuniting it makes sense for them to reinforce the golden avenger nickname.

T.

p.s. Anyone already thinking how sexy it would be to see this one in 'stealth' colors

To be honest, I burst out laughing when I saw this! I understand (to a degree) why Marvel has to change characters to line up more with the movies. Heck, I liked some of the changes (Spidey with organic webbing for example). However this armour just looks... I dunno. I think it's a shame Tony has lost both the Extremis armour and powers as I felt both were a good direction for the character. As for this armour, maybe I'll think differently when I see it in the comics but for now I'm not impressed.

I actually like this but I have to confess that after looking closely at the guy's crotch area it wouldn't leave much room for a 'real man' would it!! Over the years I've always felt a tad inadequate when comparing my 'credentials' with those portrayed in the artwork of many comic superheroes ......this time however I am pleasantly surprised because there is one area of his suit that ol' Tony will always have to go 'stealth' . ;)

Edited by buttheadsmate

p.s. Anyone already thinking how sexy it would be to see this one in 'stealth' colors
Only you TBT! :rolleyes: j/k

Seriously though, I think for some time they've been trying to find a way to make the character more human like than robotic and as you guys have pointed out, they've been slimming him down. He's definitely a more premier mainstream character now with the movies. Somehow this suit is a little like how I imagined the Iron Spidey suit would be. I do think the suit is nice, we'll see how the suit plays out.

btw it sort of reminds me of recent readings and how some cell phones with straight corner edges appeal more to males and phones with curves appeal to females. Maybe they're trying a more uinisex approach. :P

I don't like it much, personally. I like Iron Man to look like a guy wearing an armored shell, but this just looks like he's wearing tights with the Iron Man design painted on.

I also have to agree with BHM on the crotch area. Was Tony castrated in recent comics? Did his labido have to be removed in order for the virus to be completely purged?

Well as a heart patient, Tony was suprised to learn that his medical condition can lead to ED.

Guys, come on. Stark has obviously perfected "removable body parts" and leaves his favorite part at home while out cavorting with the baddies.

I really like it, after reading the Stark dissasembled series, i cannot wait to see more of this armour and hopefully it in minimate form

Mystery solved. Sorry guys, I'm more than a bit behind on current comic storylines.

What a pile of armour shit! for me stark and osborn are as bad as each other and will be partners.

Marvel as much as I love spidey and becausse i am/was a nerd ad at 1 year off 40 the whole idea of comics to me me is to inspire not to be trendy but to have fun.

i go to a comic shop now and it its all tied to every other issue. its all to me what can we sell and smurf the story.

now i'm going to sleep hangover and all!

I kind of dig this new armor. I like that IM is getting sleeker to reflect the cutting edge technology involved. The glowing circles kind of remind me of the old Centurions, and I actually think it would be kind of cool if this were just a base armor and special gadgets and gizmos could be attacked. So, yeah, an updated modular armor with mid-80's toy/cartoon sensibilities.

An interesting new direction they are taking with Iron Man. The only thing i wonder is, why doesn't he have bifurcated feet?!?! I loved that about the Extremis armor. It was the proverbial icing on the cake for me.