UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What packaging do you keep?

TM2 Dinobot

So, I am officially OUT OF ROOM. It's gotten way bad. And I've been thinking about getting rid of some of my empty boxes. Now, understand, I've been saving Cardbacks and boxes for the past 15+ years. Some boxes haven't fared so well, where as others, like my Zbots, are in better shape than the figures themselves. So the question is, what do I get rid of? Obviously not the ones with stuff in them, right? What about Microman, which is storing my hands? things like my Hot Toys should stay, especially since they're keeping my figures safe, right? Unicron and Primus can go though, because they haven't seen their toys since the day they were parted. What about all my cardbacks and paperwork? It's like an archeological dig dating through collecting history. Here's the kicker: Minimates. They stack neatly, but the newer boxes still take up a killer amount of room.

Thoughts, comments, snide remarks?

I keep minimate boxes such as those that the Marvel figs come in. However, I don't keep carded figures backings such as the DC minimates packaging or the Marvel Universe line action figures. I used to, and I'm sure there are some hidden somewhere that I've forgotten to throw out from years ago from previous toy lines. I'm about to clean out my room because of the same lack of room you're complaining about. I think a lot of issues of "Wizard" are about to be thrown away! :lol:

Edited by Chazwinski

I would keep packaging for 3 main reasons:

1) nostalgia for older stuff

2) higher resale value if you have to get rid of something and can repackage things well enough with the package (Hot Toys is a good example)

3) aesthetic purposes--if the box itself, or figure in the box looks good enough to display

I used to hoard all kinds of packaging that I've since (mostly) gotten rid of, with the exception of the above. No reason to keep something you're not gonna use for any reason, I say. The one exception for me beyond that is Minimate packaging that I've been trying to keep recently for potential MMC reviews. But I have had to throw out even many of those for the purposes of space, unfortunately. Bastards take up lots of space fast if you want to keep the plastic inserts and can't flatten them.

Edited by karamazov80

I usually only keep the packaging for 1:6 scale figures or various statues. I'm also very fond of Mighty Muggs and their packaging, so I generally keep their boxes in a safe place.<3

The only minimate packaging I have kept has been the BullsEye and Moonstone one-- but that's only because it still has the minimates in it. :)

I would keep packaging for 3 main reasons:

1) nostalgia for older stuff

2) higher resale value if you have to get rid of something and can repackage things well enough with the package (Hot Toys is a good example)

3) aesthetic purposes--if the box itself, or figure in the box looks good enough to display

I was about to post something very close to this. The only thing I would add is that I keep some minimate packages for customizing.

I only keep packaging for easy-to-damage things like statues and vinyl figurines, and only because I will eventually have to move again and this is the simplest way to keep them in one piece during the trip.

I also got an old Chameleon/Ult. Spidey set recently and couldn't bring myself to throw out the box :huh: -- nostalgia for the old smaller packaging I guess.

Unfortunately I keep damn near everything. <_< Stupid OCD!

Mostly though I try to hold on to boxes in the event that I'll need to sell stuff, anything I intend to keep I either try to find room for, flatten for easy storage (bye-bye plastic trays!) or try to recycle and convert into a giant cardboard box fort or something.

Unfortunately I keep damn near everything. <_< Stupid OCD!

Mostly though I try to hold on to boxes in the event that I'll need to sell stuff, anything I intend to keep I either try to find room for, flatten for easy storage (bye-bye plastic trays!) or try to recycle and convert into a giant cardboard box fort or something.

Yeah, see, this is me.

I just threw out my Titanium boxes and the dang things took up 2 whole garbage bags. Same with animated. I'm down to Minimates and signed boxes are the only things left that are empty. Finally, I can store my figmas! As for the full stuff, well, I declare this GI Joe Opening Day! I'll put them in pags under my bed. Good 'nuff.

Off the main topic here, but I've got a big box of unopened 25th Anniversary GI Joes in storage. I probably should have sold them when they were hot, because now they're just taking up space in storage, and probably aren't worth half what I paid for them.

Take the plastic inserts out, and collapse the boxes down. You can still be OCD about the keeping the boxes, yet take up a fraction of the space.

Not that I have any experience in this area.

The only packaging that I keep that doesn't have figures still in them are my variant packages and a very few others that have some other meaning (like gifts from others) I recently went through my boxes of packages and threw out a ton. It was liberating, once you get rid of a few it becomes so much easier to get rid of a ton.

I usually throw away the packages after I open the toy. The exceptions are mini busts, Revoltech, and the rare few that can look sealed even after they're opened.

Off the main topic here, but I've got a big box of unopened 25th Anniversary GI Joes in storage. I probably should have sold them when they were hot, because now they're just taking up space in storage, and probably aren't worth half what I paid for them.

Let me know when you're ready to unload them. My daughters are big into GI Joe (again) since they just saw the movie. My older daughter is a purist and longs for the return of the 25th/Modern Era figures because they look more like the cartoon.

• 3 weeks later...

well before i start,i would say,i DONT NOT KEEP FIGURES IN BOX.I dont this because when you put the accesosories on them they look better{my opinion}also i keep box's when its the first figure i got in the whole line,but i still take the figs out,also if i where you i would keep the valubale box's and only keep the boxes you enjoy looking at.

• 1 month later...

I keep the packaging whenever there is a figure give-away or when I may need to return it (Mattel WWE figures with their broken ankles and bent sideways knees). Other than that, I just keep the Minimate boxes. I do this because most have extra accessories that I'd like to keep in with the ones they came with so I don't mix them up. I'm OCD like that. I hate when I mix up weapons or spare parts.

I only collect 'mates and usually only keep packaging if it's a "rare" promo (santa mate) OR the single packed figures, cylons, Terminator. I just think they look super cool! Plus I keep the box for my Maxi Mate Sentinel as they seem pretty fragile nd don't want to damage it.