UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Series 34 images...

battlecat

I'm hoping, but the feeling that that ship has sailed is starting to set in. I'm getting the sinking sensation that they're about to kick us all in the balls with an updated Wolverine in his brown costume.

This wave really feels like a kind of companion/sequel to the previous '90s X-Men (plus Deadpool) wave, where we already got Wolverine, plus we only just got Daken in that outfit -- so I'd actually be really surprised to see him in this wave...

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a consideration: Chuck said we could expect "more synergy" between the specialty waves and the TRU waves. Perhaps they're sensitive to the fact that their specialty audience (us) is getting a little "Wolvied-out," and really aren't planning to jam Wolvie in this wave under the stock assumption that he's a requirement for sales.

It's looking like the TRU waves may be moving up to two exclusive sets instead of just one. I wouldn't be surprised to see brown Wolvie show up in one of those two-packs, seeing as he's a more appropriate sales driver for the TRU mass market crowd – which also happens to be a newer Minimate audience who hasn't yet seen twelve variations of him.

Regarding brown Wolvie, yes, we have had about 100 Wolverines released in the last year, and it does get quite tiresome. However, this is one of his two most well known outfits, and the one that he donned for the bulk of the 80s and early part of the 1990s (I don't believe he regressed to the "tiger stripe" version until his guest appearance in McFarlane's Spiderman comic, when the brown one got ripped up or something).

Brown Wolverine is one of my very favorite Marvel costumes, and though we already have a brown Wolverine, as you all know, it could use an update. So, personally, I will be very pleased if we get a brown Wolverine in this wave, as he will likely replace my other brown version on my main Minimate display. However, I will also be happy with Colossus or whomever, since brown Wolvie update is bound to show up eventually, anyway.

Goblin' Queen always reminds me of Elton John for some obscure reason !

:lol: That's awful.

I'm hoping, but the feeling that that ship has sailed is starting to set in. I'm getting the sinking sensation that they're about to kick us all in the balls with an updated Wolverine in his brown costume.

This wave really feels like a kind of companion/sequel to the previous '90s X-Men (plus Deadpool) wave, where we already got Wolverine, plus we only just got Daken in that outfit -- so I'd actually be really surprised to see him in this wave...

Is it assumed that 90s Jean Grey would be the variant? Or might it be Black Queen Selene?

The other could be:

Juggernaut (big chest), Colossus (big chest), Jubilee, Brown Wolverine, Omega Red

They say on Twitter that guessing's done, which would suggest that one of the lineups posited on Facebook was the correct one. So just look at all the guesses that included Black Queen Jean, and narrow down from there. Possibilities as posted:

90s Jean, Jubilee

90s Jean, Omega Red

90s Jean, Selene

90s Jean, Blink

90s Jean, Juggernaut

90s Jean, Colossus

90s Jean, Brown Wolverine

90s Jean, Mr. Sinister

...so I guess that locks in Jim Lee Jean. The other seems likely to be:

Jubilee, Brown Wolverine, or Colossus

Smart money is on Wolverine. :(

Wow, am mildly surprised by this reveal. The Black Queen is smokin' hot (Hellfire Club catfight between Jean and Emma! :P), but I think I agree with boyd in that she seems a tad too racy for TRU.

*blinks* Is she wearing the Moon Knight cape?!

I doubt it'd be too racy for TRU. They were the ones that carried the Black Queen as an exclusive Marvel Legends figure.

For accessories, chances she'll come with a whip and/or a phoenix base?

Edited by Chronotrigger

....... chances she'll come with a whip and/or a phoenix base?

......... if that's what it takes then just give me the whip :D

My money's still on Omega Red. I can't think of a wave that hasn't had a villain in it, and Omega Red was a seminal villain in the Jim Lee run. I wouldn't be unhappy with Sinister, but I just have a feeling...

Comparatively speaking there are a tiny amount of Marvel kubricks compared to Marvel Minimates yet Omega Red was produced years ago. I have little concept of this particular era yet this character must have been important?

Comparatively speaking there are a tiny amount of Marvel kubricks compared to Marvel Minimates yet Omega Red was produced years ago. I have little concept of this particular era yet this character must have been important?

I wouldn't say he was important in the grand scheme of X-men villains – certainly not a Magneto- or Sinister-level existential arch-nemesis. I'd put him at the level of Arcade or maybe the Reavers. He was the focal character during a couple arcs in that era, and pops up now and again to pester the team.

The key point here, I think, is that he was a Jim Lee-designed character that fits right in with the goofy kneepads and redundant pouches and head sheaths and strappy-things that were a hallmark of that time (and, the theme of this wave).

Edited by Lobsterman

Regarding brown Wolvie, yes, we have had about 100 Wolverines released in the last year, and it does get quite tiresome. However, this is one of his two most well known outfits, and the one that he donned for the bulk of the 80s and early part of the 1990s (I don't believe he regressed to the "tiger stripe" version until his guest appearance in McFarlane's Spiderman comic, when the brown one got ripped up or something).

Logan shredded it himself in the midst of one of his first 90's violent flashbacks, then went back to wearing the Tiger-Stripe costume. A BS in story reason was given about getting back to basics or some such, but really that crop of artists just liked it better.

I like the brown costume better too. It seemed to fit his character better than bright yellow and blue. Actually, if there was ever a character where the Quietly makeover made sense, it was Wolverine since he just doesn't seem to be the spandex kinda guy.

Now my FAVORITE version of Wolverine's costume ws the one from the first two seasons of X-Men: Evolution. It's largely the brown costumes design with oragne over black instead of brown over tan. And it lacked the mask matching boots.

And the Black Jean Queen looks good.

Remember earlier this year, when Chuck (or was it Matt) coyly said something about being big fans of 90's X-Men. What if the last two character are 90's Jean and... First Appearance Bishop? (they said at the time Jubilee was a longshot)

This isn't a version of Jean that I know tremendously well, but this mate looks pretty good to me. I did think that the forums would have exploded after this picture went up... but maybe that's still to come...

I agree with boyd in that she seems a tad too racy for TRU.

I can see them putting that on the box now. :blink:

Even if it was the Goblin Queen variant?

Jennifer Connely?

Awww, now you've made me want Labyrinth minimates again. :(

Black Queen looks nice, but I'm going to be peeved if there isn't a more iconic version of Jean in this wave as well.

Even if it was the Goblin Queen variant?

Jennifer Connely?

Awww, now you've made me want Labyrinth minimates again. :(

I bought this soundtrack the other day, and it's even weirder outside of the context of the movie.

Brown Wolverine is one of my very favorite Marvel costumes, and though we already have a brown Wolverine, as you all know, it could use an update. So, personally, I will be very pleased if we get a brown Wolverine in this wave, as he will likely replace my other brown version on my main Minimate display. However, I will also be happy with Colossus or whomever, since brown Wolvie update is bound to show up eventually, anyway.

I agree with this completely. I think it's his best costume and it fits with this wave, so might as well get it out of the way. Not that I'd object to another member of the 90's team showing up.

Weird.

I'm not sure if it would be more of a slap in the face to fans to not include the Jim Lee Jean in this wave, or to make her the chase.

Would they do two standard distribution Jeans in one wave? Maybe she's the "synergy" pick for the TRU wave? Or maybe two 90's X-men waves is a possibility...

Edited by Lobsterman

Maybe it's not an X-Men wave - it's a Jean Grey wave. Jim Lee Jean Grey comes with Cyclops, Black Queen Jean Grey comes with the Hellfire Club Guard, and the variant is 60's green mini-skirt Jean Grey.

Jean Grey is the new Wolverine.

Edited by boyd

Taken shamelessly from Art Asylum's Facebook page:

"I can confirm that Black Queen Jean will NOT be the one-per-case variant. (And we're not doing anything sneaky like making it a two-per-case variant)"

Interesting...

No. SON OF A B!TCH NO. I swear to friggin God, DST. Don't you DARE make Jim Lee Jean friggin Grey the variant. I mean it. :angry:

That being said, i love the figure. It's Jean in one of her worst, weakest moments and history, and is an excellent representation; that's a good thing. It really does look like Jeanie as the Black Queen of Hellfire, and my only gripe is how she'll look next to Emma...that'll be a problem, and i really hope we get a new White Queen eventually. Of course, i still hate that we're getting (most likely) two Jeanies in one wave. Again, it's too many all at once, whice really takes away from other key characters. I already made the rest of this argument a few pages back, so i'll spare you all the reideration.

BUT JIM LEE JEAN BETTER BE A REGULAR RELEASE. DST, i am NOT JOKING. This is one of my favorite costumes (favorite is Here Comes Tomorrow Jeanie) on my FAVORITE CHARACTER. If i have a hard time getting her, i will be pissed. VERY pissed. :angry:

I apoligize for so much anger right now, guys, but this may have just gone too far. I'm mad enough at two Jeanies so close to 3 others and 2 Rachels, but i actually MUST HAVE this one. Sorry about the CAPS Lock, while i'm at it.

Anyway, after reading today's posts, i want to "retract" my guess. I'm thinking, IF this ends up as part of a TRU wave, this will be one of the exclusives:

TRU Exclusive:

Brown/Tan 90s Wolverine

Omega Red

I agree that DST is starting to realize that he sells better at retail than LCSs and specialty shops, and paring him with a high-profile Logan-villain like Omega Red makes sense, IS SMART, and would be delightful for our villain ranks. Plus we'd be closer to getting another X-villain, Mr. Sinister. Hey, APoc needs more attendants. :P

EDIT: Oh, to Boyd and Lobster, GOD NO. I get that Boyd is joking a little (although green-dress 60s variant is HIGH on my list), but i don't want my Jeanie to be so overexposed. It's bad enough she's dead, for God's sake.

Oh, and i'm pretty sure we are getting two X-waves; this and wave 33. ;)

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

With only two spots left and bunches of 90s-related X-Men left, they could easily get another X-Men wave with any of the following:

Jubilee

brown-costume Wolverine (updated)

Bishop (updated)

Omega Red

Mr. Sinister

Forge

Banshee (yellow-and-black outfit)

Professor X (in hover chair)

Stryfe

Not to mention the missing mohawk Storm.