UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

1/6 Scale Action Figures

karamazov80

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably gonna upgrade to that new Cap from my First Avenger one, but I doubt I'll get anyone else from that film, no matter how much I love it. Winter Soldier is too minor of a comic character in the great scheme of things, stealth variants aren't appealing to me at this price point, and I never could get into the rooted hair.

What is it about rooted hair?! It just screams, "dollie", to me. I had flocked hair GI Joes during the Adventure team era and they did not offend me, but this seems wrong. Double standard or discrimination?

Double standard or discrimination?

Neither! That's just good sense!* biggrin.png

I think we each have a point past which we won't collect something, because it just makes us uncomfortable. Maybe it's anatomical correctness, a character wearing "sexy" lingerie, an apparent pre-teen animated character in a risque pose, toys with "real" clothes (some are definitely put off by this), or dolls with "real" hair. There isn't necessarily anything logical about it, though it probably has to do with how far removed a figure is from what interests you in figures to begin with. Maybe the rooted hair skirts too closely into Barbie territory. Maybe imagining yourself styling "real" hair on a doll isn't far removed from imagining yourself in a dress putting on a tea party with your Minimates. Whatever it is, I think it's totally legit. Folks can collect as they please, and there's not much in the way of right and wrong there IMO.

*says the guy who put together a Beetlejuice with "real" hair once

Rooted hair is interesting to me. The Winter Soldier Widow's hair isn't something i'd want to deal with, like Iron Man 2's Widow. I guess the longer the hair, the bigger the risk of it getting messed up and difficult to keep looking right, or even just "good." The longer the hair does make it seem more Barbie-like too, but I'm the kid who used to ask for the mini Barbie in the Happy Meal instead of the Hot Wheels when he was a kid because his action figures had no girls, anyway (i bet mom was thrilled with that one).

I barely even notice that the Avengers Widow (wow, are there really 3 already?) has rooted hair. It's so heavily styled and gel'd or whatever they did to it that it doesn't move and feels solid. It also look REALLY nice on the shelf. I mean, i don't understand why they even bothered with rooted hair when even Thor has longer sculpted hair, but the Avengers one doesn't look bad or seem too "dolly."

Regardless, it's the face and the hair together on this one that's really throwing it off for me. Even the Hasbro figure looks better, i feel.

Hot Toys seems to have made a decision that almost all males will have sculpted hair, and many females will have rooted hair. I think that decision alone suggests that they see a double standard among collectors as to what they will accept from male vs. female figures. Winter Soldier has longer hair than Widow in this movie, but I would bet my savings the figure will have sculpted hair.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep you were correct about Winter Soldier having sculpted hair. I do think it would be pretty much impossible to capture the greasy hair look he is sporting with rooted hair. With the extra head sculpt I'm guessing he'll go for about $219 to $229.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people on the Sideshow forums seem to be annoyed that you can only get the Steve head if you buy the two pack. I agree with them, but selfishly, I'm hoping that leads to an abundance of Steve Rodgers bodies/clothes on ebay, as I want one for a custom....my first ever.

If anyone here is buying the 2 pack and wants rid of the Steve body then let me know and we can do a deal. I'll even give you the money now towards your preorder (depending on who you are and if I trust you ;) ).

I really wanted to want this figure, because the design is aces. But that vinyl type material has got to go. The MMS 143 used cloth, and is a fantastic, high quality figure because of it. And I guess I'll be sticking with that one at this point. In the custom world, Iminime is putting Breaking Bad guys up for order soon.

g3f9d08b8.jpg

I think the new spidey costume is the closest to comic accurate but for that price tag with no parker sculpt and the material used for the costume I am passing. I am fine with my Toby spidey on my shelf.

I think the new spidey costume is the closest to comic accurate but for that price tag with no parker sculpt and the material used for the costume I am passing. I am fine with my Toby spidey on my shelf.

My thoughts exactly. Plus the poseability problems with the ASM 1 Spidey makes me wary of this one.