UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

1/6 Scale Action Figures

karamazov80

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debatable. If you are comparing relative value to Hot Toys. . .I would say no in most cases. In general, I think $100 or so is a fair price for them. Get over $120 and you're really pushing it. Some are a bit fancier than others though. Zartan seems nearly worth the high price tag.

Edited by karamazov80

Well, Rainman's Bickle went up tonight. It was quite a ride. VIP sets (including the "secret" item of the gun slide with gun) went up at 3 in the morning a few days ago, and the DX set sold out before I woke up. So tonight I was competing with lots of guys for 10 remaining sets that were made available. And I got one. Everything put up sold out within a few minutes. Price. . .is obscene laugh.png Happy days, though.

Here are some screen grabs I pulled.

RMBickle1_zps6286f0aa.png

RMBickle2_zps78e016d7.png

RMBickle3_zps97648b32.png

RMBickle4_zps97010722.png

Wow, I gotta say Sam, I really don't see much De Niro there at, all. The Mohawk head looks better, but there is something really off...I think its the eyes.

The clothing looks great as usual, but the headsculpts, especially for a Rainman release, look more like an amateur attempt at De Niro.

I don't own any Rainman stuff, and I've decided to get out of the high-end 1/6 customs, but from what I've witnessed on SSF there are a lot of people that just blindly worship anything with a certain artists name associated with it (Trevor, Rainman, Beto) and look at a lot of these pieces through rose-colored glasses.

I hope I'm not pissing you off by being negative about these customs, Sam, as that isn't my intent. You've always been one of the most objective and honest posters, both here and at SSF, and I just hope you aren't getting caught up in the hype.

No worries Justin, I don't get upset about criticisms at all (unless they're coming from some of the obvious trolls at SSF like Nam, and really I don't get upset at those, I just get annoyed). I clearly acknowledge that the likeness isn't all there, particularly on the mohawk head. But that's not really unusual for Rainman. He has a style that permeates this figure, his Ra's, his Lecter, his Tony Soprano, his Alex DeLarge, etc. etc.

Taxi Driver is a film I have really grown to love, and I have lusted after a high end Deniro Bickle since we saw a custom sculpt by Kai a few years ago that didn't pan out. Ultimately, I don't always need gritty realism in my high end, 1/6 scale customs. I want something that captures the essence of a character, and is aesthetically pleasing, and with Rainman, is an extremely high quality piece. So for that reason, this likeness being on par with, say, Hot Toys most recent RDj attempt, isn't a deal breaker by any means. I still really dig it. Usually I go head/outfit for Rainman stuff (about $450-500 per figure, though you have to add the body and put it together yourself). That's a little over twice the price of a Hot Toys figure now, for great characters from genuinely good movies I care about, unlike a lot of what HT dishes out.

This will be my second "full" Rainman type piece, after the Dude, and a big part of that is because of my interest in the source material, where I'm willing to splurge on the more "special" release. But really, the price on this is pretty dang reasonable by Rainman standards when you consider what you get--2 heads, 2 chest pieces, 2 complete outfit and accessory sets, plus the full set and DX item, and one figure fully put together, for about 50% more than a regular Rainman full set. Essentially, all it's missing from being 2 full set figures is a body and the figure being assembled.

So, I'm not trying to talk myself into justifying this figure or anything biggrin.png I genuinely love what I've seen with it, and can't wait to have it. But those are my thoughts on it. I know Rainman isn't for everyone. Honestly, I think Rocco nails likenesses a lot more frequently, but he doesn't get nearly Rainman's love. And some of that is hype, but once you've had a Rainman quality figure in-hand. . .you know there's more to it than that, as well.

--edit: one other thing--I doubt we'll ever see a high end Bickle that approaches the quality of this guy. And that's another factor that you consider with something like this.

Edited by karamazov80

• 2 weeks later...

UHHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, apparently, Sideshow has changed their shipping policy so that you can not change how or when a shipment will be delivered. As in, you can no longer have an item delivered at a later date, or ask to pick an item up directly from UPS if you can;t be on hand to sign for the package on the days they attempt. I just discovered this today, because I missed my Captain America being delivered because UPS tried to deliver him 5 hours earlier than they ever have before. Due to my school schedule, I won't be available until after 5 Monday and Tuesday. And now UPS has told me that they can't hold the package for me to pick up or deliver it any later. So, essentially the item won't be delivered...I'm so angry right now!

UHHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, apparently, Sideshow has changed their shipping policy so that you can not change how or when a shipment will be delivered. As in, you can no longer have an item delivered at a later date, or ask to pick an item up directly from UPS if you can;t be on hand to sign for the package on the days they attempt. I just discovered this today, because I missed my Captain America being delivered because UPS tried to deliver him 5 hours earlier than they ever have before. Due to my school schedule, I won't be available until after 5 Monday and Tuesday. And now UPS has told me that they can't hold the package for me to pick up or deliver it any later. So, essentially the item won't be delivered...I'm so angry right now!

You may already know this but, I've had hot toys figures delivered from sideshow before, without being home. What I did was join ups website (free part) , and then did a signature release thing you can do on their website and then they left my package inside my door for me without being there to sign at all.

Bummer. Sideshow's deliveries are weird, in that they aren't supposed to just drop them off without a signature, but here. . .they often do. I hope you can work something out.

On a different note, I got Hulk last night. I knew he was big from pics, but didn't realize how dang big. He's around the size of some of the "regular" characters in 1/4 scale. Bigger than the Wolvie PF.

DSC_0125_zps5c27d14c.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion mav-man. Unfortunately, UPS won't allow me to sign up for their website because I don't have enough information in public records(I've never owned a house, and my car is still in my parents' name for insurance purposes).

The real issue I'm having isn't the signature itself. I've missed being there to sign before. But in the past, I could just call UPS and have them hold the package for me at the sorting facility so that I can pick it up in the evening. The problem now is that Sideshow has apparently changed how they send packages, so now neither I, nor UPS can change the delivery in the slightest bit. I HAVE to be there to sign for it at my house one of the two more times they deliver it.

Could you call and ask them to re-deliver on a day you will be home?

That's the most annoying thing, they won't even let me do that! I've been on the phone with ups on and off for several hours, trying to get it sorted out.

*EDIT: Ok, talked to someone with UPS. They said that they'll hold Cap for me on Monday, and I can go pick it up first thing in the morning. Hopefully it works out.

Edited by Glantern

• 2 weeks later...

I'm offended that no one has posted here in 10 days. And frankly, I'm ashamed of each and everyone of you (you = person who reads this post). Maybe I just expected too much, though. I guess a lesson is learned. You (person reading this) always seem to let me down in ways I could never even anticipate.

Anyways. . .

'66 Batman and Robin are up on Sideshow's site. Use forum links! I forgot to, and am now having a hell of a time canceling Robin for some reason.

CRicMwc.jpg

qHQwcvP.jpg