UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if wave 4 had been wave 3, and wave 5 had been wave 4, they might have continued. Wave 3 was just all around bad (buy the set, and get TWO Sareks? How can I LOSE?), and you can still get a set from some sites for $10. I liked the TOS mix in wave 4 and 5 (except for the Kirk in wave 5). I would have even been okay with subsequent waves including TOS as long as it was one pack per wave and paired an alien with a character from the TOS movies. The next couple of waves could have been TNG heavy, crossing over to DS9 with O'Brien and a new Worf (becasue the regualr version would have already been released). Get into DS( and then tie it back to TOS with a Trials and Tribblations set...

Oh, what could have been....

I think if wave 4 had been wave 3, and wave 5 had been wave 4, they might have continued. Wave 3 was just all around bad (buy the set, and get TWO Sareks? How can I LOSE?), and you can still get a set from some sites for $10. I liked the TOS mix in wave 4 and 5 (except for the Kirk in wave 5). I would have even been okay with subsequent waves including TOS as long as it was one pack per wave and paired an alien with a character from the TOS movies. The next couple of waves could have been TNG heavy, crossing over to DS9 with O'Brien and a new Worf (becasue the regualr version would have already been released). Get into DS( and then tie it back to TOS with a Trials and Tribblations set...

Oh, what could have been....

I agree with HRGMann. I think if they would have made Wave 3 of Star Trek minimates three packs of TNG and one Pack of TOS and then done same with Wave 4, then Wave 5 could have been DS9 and with one of TOS and so forth.

I am attempting a customizing of one Sarek to a Romulan since Mark Leonard did protray both Sarek and a Romulan on the TOS.

I would have loved to see Wave 3 be Picard and Data, Variant Picard in Capt.'s Jacket and Data, Will and Worf and then the TOS pack could have been Gladiator Kirk and Kor. The Wave 4 could have been LaForge and Troi, Dr. Crusher and Wesley, Yar and Guinan and the TOS pack could have been Chapel and Rand. Wave 5 could have been Yesterday's Enterprise Yar & Red uniformed LaForge, Red uniformed Data & LT JG Worf in red uniform, Cadet Wesley & Dr Pulaski, and a TOS pack could have been Decker and Ilia from TMP.

and so on and so on.

I always wonder about this. It seems like a no-brainer that a) people got burnt out on constant rehashes of TOS characters and B) greater inclusion of TNG and DS9 could have kept the line going.

Is it possible, though, that TOS merch is really all there is a huge demand for? I know there are hojillions of rabid TOS fans out there; maybe they were all that kept the line going in the first place, and after they got their original crew, there just wasn't any demand for more Trek mates.

I find this line of reasoning hard to believe, and might be convinced if there had been a whole wave of TNG or DS9 stuff that didn't sell, but who knows?

I applaud any Minimate fan who specifically defends his particular favourite license , so forgive my apparent attack on Star Trek Minimates in general. The truth is however that they were the most mundane bunch of Minimates yet seen. As for customising them ......blimey guvnor you're 'aving a laugh......five waves of guys in black trousers (pants) & shoes with red ,blue,yellow & green shirts aren't exactly a customiser's dream . Pull the head off of most of them & you would be lost as to whom they are. Bit harsh? Probably but DST gave it a go with 5 waves & if they can't get TRU to bite (when they managed it with BSG) it ain't 'appenin is it ?!

Some lines work ,some don't & it does nobody any good hanging on .

One thing that could have boosted the Picard/Borg pack was if the variant had been Locutus. I think the two variants from 3, 4 & 5 were just kind of 'meh'.

The Series One Mc.Coy variant of course was sensational , I still marvel at how different he looks in his change of blue shirt :rolleyes:

Sorry ....every time I see the thread title "Star Trek Mates on Hold " I visualise the words 'Thank God' in my mind. I don't deny that perhaps a few vehicles would possibly sell quite well but another wave ?

I'm the same way. I like Star Trek. I bought the minimates. But at this point, it's dead space and a waste of money to keep working on it. I'm not saying that some sets won't sell. I'm saying they won't guarantee make their money back and they could be working on other stuff that's a better investment of time, money, and resources.

DSTChuck: I do not think that’s something we would consider. The swastika symbol itself creates advertising and distribution issues we’d have trouble working around.

So there is your reasoning for sans symbol Red Skull.

Sorry Brian but we I always knew that but I'll give Chuck extra respect for actually saying so. Despite my somewhat aggressive stance on Red Skull & the swastika issue (Minimates issue elsewhere) I accept that it is perhaps correct that he doesn't depict one. 'Correct' however equates to 'diluted' equates to 'weakened' equates to 'defeated'.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Sorry Brian but we I always knew that but I'll give Chuck extra respect for actually saying so. Despite my somewhat aggressive stance on Red Skull & the swastika issue (Minimates issue elsewhere) I accept that it is perhaps correct that he doesn't depict one. 'Correct' however equates to 'diluted' equates to 'weakened' equates to 'defeated'.

But 'Correct' could also lead to 'approved' which leads to 'distribution' which leads to 'fans'.

I see where you're going, and I agree, but it is a path I understand them being weary to tread. Let me put it like this: I'm MUCH more willing to forgive a 2" parody Red Skull (especially when he rarely wears a swastika in the comics any more) than I would be a 1/6th scale Hot Toys Nazi soldier or especially Adolf Hitler. There's a time when smudging is okay (even if it's not fun) and others where a hard line needs to be drawn. This is an old argument that both of us have made before.

Unfortunately, considering the timing and all, most of the questions we really wanted to see answered from Toy Fair haven't had time to be reveiwed. Ah well. Maybe next Q&A.

A few pearls. Possibility of Robocop- that was an unexpected answer. Sounds like we'll be seeing X-Force Angel and Warpath. I hope that more BTTF sets means more than just the DeLorean. And it's good to know that Minimates are doing fine despite the economy.

I do wonder about those banks, though. . .

2 comments that make me sad:

Can we get a bunch of crap that no one cares about and SILVER AGE MIMIC??

(note: the above is a paraphrase)

We’ve looked at that a few times but for now none are on the schedule.

:(

Answer to a different question:

Sorry Pete right now we have no plans to move back into the music category.

:( :( :(

Can we get a bunch of crap that no one cares about and SILVER AGE MIMIC??

(note: the above is a paraphrase)

We've looked at that a few times but for now none are on the schedule.

:(

Mimic would be such an easy parts re-use with maybe new sculpted goggles I find it odd that they're not considering him. He'd be perfect for a TRU wave.

Sigh, guess it's time I started figuring out how to build a Minimate-scale Mark II Viper from scratch.

Maybe instead of a generic lab playset they should've started with a generic, 2-story firehouse playset instead.

Gee, I wonder who the firehouse playset can come with? ;)

Maybe instead of a generic lab playset they should've started with a generic, 2-story firehouse playset instead.

And it could come with a generic mousy secretary, since apparently we're not getting GB1 Janine anytime soon/ever...

NR, good to know I wasn't the only one still pretending we might see a MKII pop up. :(