UA-100768763-1 Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Smashmaster12

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Just now, Mattallica said:

Ha ha Ha   good one!

Is this not the first time this's happened?

1 hour ago, Gmonkey2k said:

Is this not the first time this's happened?

Well there was the cancelled Ghost Rider wave. 

And the art shown for King Ghidorah which never... happened... [wild sobbing]

There's also Godfather and Beverly Hills cop. Someone won concept art for Kratos, for a second wave of Sony figures in a DST FB contest. Plus that cancelled Sony 4-Pack. Then we have Calico Jack and Maximum Zombies as well. 

In all fairness, it's not like Minimates were solicited and then canceled due to low sell-in. They were just mentioned in a press release as a potential category. It's not like Minimates is a significant brand for DST. They acquired Art Asylum so they could offer Star Trek pizza cutters, not so they could make block figures.

8 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

They acquired Art Asylum so they could offer Star Trek pizza cutters, not so they could make block figures.

asEFk97.jpg

I do remember from early interviews Chuck saying they were going to focus on select figures first and he still hasn't decided how they were going to do the minimates yet. In terms of all the ideas that have been expressed there are a lot of routes to take.

I can see why they didn't make minimates. The amount of sculpting and one-use parts for each Jaeger and Kaiju must make it cost-prohibitive. Although the introduction of blind-bag chibi figures the same size as minimates does make me concerned.  

MiniViniMates™?

I can see why they didn't make Jaeger Minimates but given that the pilots wear similar uniforms, I was hoping that we'd seen them paired up in 2-packs to complement the assortment of Vinimates Select figures.

maxresdefault.jpg

pacific-rim-imagen-55.jpg

Kaidanovskys_02.png

7da81e93.png

5561771-pacificrimpilots_120713_090909.j

On 2/23/2018 at 10:13 AM, Trekker 42 said:

And the art shown for King Ghidorah which never... happened... [wild sobbing]

Just when it’s scabbed over ya rip it back open!

4 hours ago, Mystery Man said:

Just when it’s scabbed over ya rip it back open!

The Godzilla wound will never heal.

Never.

I miss Godzilla minimates. I miss having an affordable articulated Godzilla collectable. It seems Godzilla merch is just... so damn expensive.

i don't know when the decision to make the D-Formz before Minimates occurred, but Minimates are a standard thing we ask for with any license, if available. Superdeformed figures are a common merch category for Godzilla, so it certainly made sense, while Minimates are a harder nut to crack conceptually, as you can see.

It may have been a TRU preference -- not sure how far back this was planned -- but I know they were also designed by the team that made the action figures, so it may have simply been an expedient way to supplement our figure line. We have a licensing guarantee to meet, and that means selling a certain amount of product.

It's not really a bait and switch, since we didnt sell you anything, or entice you to invest in something else in anticipation of Minimates.

And like I said, these are not meant to be a substitute for Minimates, just a different area we're exploring. They are actually 3-4 inches tall. So they may actually work with human Minimates, like Vinimates, although not with Godzilla. i wonder if some later Halo Mates might work for customs...

That makes sense. I am curious, did you guys ask for the option to make SD Godzilla figures? I know Bandai released some in the states, so maybe you were blocked, but it would have been cool to see what DST did with those.

Man what I would’ve given to get Godzilla Selects. Something less than the absolute insanity that is the Monsterarts price point but with more character diversity than that one line you can find at TRU that only seems to make variations of Godzilla and no other characters. 

On 3/27/2018 at 11:50 AM, SCW said:

That makes sense. I am curious, did you guys ask for the option to make SD Godzilla figures? I know Bandai released some in the states, so maybe you were blocked, but it would have been cool to see what DST did with those.

I imagine SD banks would have been possible if we'd gone that route, but I don't know for sure. I imagine non-blocking action figures of any type were right out.

I didn't see one, but do we have an appropriate thread somewhere for discussing misc Diamond Select lines without having to create a new one just for Pacific Rim?

Since we're not getting Minimates, maybe a moderator could just move this thread to the appropriate forum. 

Either way I took a chance and picked up a select figure (I don't collect select figures) and within a few minutes I needed to find the customer service email address. 

Ouch. That's disappointing. I hope you find satisfaction.

DST's customer service seems to largely depend on who you're dealing with, which I suppose is true with many companies. Mattel is the most positively consistent in my experience. 

The only Select figures I own are The Munsters and Netflix Daredevil. No problems with any of them. 

There is only one customer service rep, and she has other responsibilities as well, so give her some time to respond. Obviously she doesn't work on the weekends. I see all e-mails, so if it's been a while, feel free to follow up and I will check on it. If anyone received poor service when it was just me doing it, I apologize.

For what it's worth, I've dealt with three different CSRs and none were you, Zach.

The first was marvelous. The second seemed confused and after a couple correspondences I gave up. (No hard feelings. It was actually kinda comical in a "bless her heart" kinda way.) The third was responsive but unable to help because stock for replacement parts hadn't come in yet. I was told I'd be put on a waiting list but was never contacted again. I ended up finding another solution so I dropped it.

So between personnel turnover and circumstances beyond the control of CSRs, it's much like companies that do have employees (and entire departments) dedicated to customer service. Well, except we have Zach. :) And that's a good thing.