UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Guardians of the Galaxy

Valo487

Doesnt DST have to get the approval of the studio for their figures? pretty sure they wouldnt have okay'd a bigger Rocket as every other toyline is doing a smaller less posable version (you could tell me that the lego one isnt smaller, but thats 1. because lego's CANT get smaller, even if he was a one piece animal he'd probably still be the size of a hobbit and 2. because (i could be wrong but) he comes with a very VERY large built Groot so he is in scale still)

so i'd rather get an accurately scaled Rocket than see this assortment get nixed

Edited by undeadpool

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, wouldn't the bummed ones be buzzkills, not enjoying any Rocket Raccoon at all? Devil's advocate.

It's not that i don't get the disappointment, i don't see why an articulated Rocket was an expectation. Not even Legends Rocket is articulated below the waist.

Like it or not, Rocket is the same size as Snarf and Lockheed. To the the Thundercats, Snarf is a pretty key member of the team too, and he went articulated. Rocket has two distinct poses i can think of, standing and shooting. Rocket is not Lockjaw, or ANY of the examples above. Lockjaw, Slimer, MODOK, Battle-Beasts, all full-human sized. There are more options to be inventive with. Rocket is tiny. REALLY tiny. Smaller than Carl, smaller than Tyrion.

The Carl argument is just silly. Yondu and Nebula don't equate to generic zombies. It'd be more like never getting, say, Axel.

We're getting a Rocket Raccoon who can still do what Rocket has to do.

EDIT: Regardless, yea, it doesn't really matter, nor is it that serious of an issue. I just wanna see the wave already!! :lol:

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Uh, wouldn't the bummed ones be buzzkills, not enjoying any Rocket Raccoon at all? Devil's advocate.

It's not that i don't get the disappointment, i don't see why an articulated Rocket was an expectation. Not even Legends Rocket is articulated below the waist.

Like it or not, Rocket is the same size as Snarf and Lockheed. To the the Thundercats, Snarf is a pretty key member of the team too, and he went articulated. Rocket has two distinct poses i can think of, standing and shooting. Rocket is not Lockjaw, or ANY of the examples above. Lockjaw, Slimer, MODOK, Battle-Beasts, all full-human sized. There are more options to be inventive with. Rocket is tiny. REALLY tiny. Smaller than Carl, smaller than Tyrion.

The Carl argument is just silly. Yondu and Nebula don't equate to generic zombies. It'd be more like never getting, say, Axel.

We're getting a Rocket Raccoon who can still do what Rocket has to do.

EDIT: Regardless, yea, it doesn't really matter, nor is it that serious of an issue. I just wanna see the wave already!! laugh.png

I know you're playing devils advocate here so...

I still don't get the issues with scale, the Avengers movie wave had Loki and the Hulk use the same body type. Which is fine as Chuck has argued consistently that marvel minimates will always have a 2" body on his watch. So Rocket should be based off a 2" body.

If we want to get really silly about the scale thing then lets talk about Minimates in general... How much shorter is say wolverine to the statue of liberty?

Carl or Axel, If you could have only one proper minimate who would you pick?

"Getting a Rocket who can still do what Rocket has to do" - Neither of us has seem the movie but as a comic character he goes way beyond big guns, that's like saying lets make wolverine one piece but have two, one with claws and one without, that way he can do what he has to do, it's a terrible oversimplification.

I guess what I'm feeling when it really comes down to it is how much I like the character (from the comic books) and knowing that this was the best chance to get a Rocket minimate. If we cannot get him now then we never will.

T.

Guys... this is not anger. If you want to see anger, head over to the Fwoosh and take a look at the thread discussing Mattel's DC Universe Classics goodbye. No one's calling Chuck, Zach, or anyone else nasty names, no one is wishing DST goes out of business. It's disappointment. TBT just summed it up pretty well by saying that those of us that really like Rocket Raccoon want a full Rocket Raccoon Minimate. That's all.

Also, I think a lot of us were thrown because we've been told for so long not to expect scale with Minimates. Obviously, that's changed with the introduction of the kid arms and legs and the small pack in figures. And that's fine, but I don't think we expected that to apply to Rocket Raccoon.

The small blurry pic we've seen of rocket looks promising. Now its out there any chance of a better one?

How is rocket going to be packed?

Is he going to be short packed one per case with the variant? wink.png

I am not sure of the assortment breakdown yet. No pictures until they are approved, sorry.

They're called "Koala Bears" by people who don't know any better (probably the same people who call whales & dolphins "fish"), but it's incorrect.

I learned they weren't bears a long time ago, too. I just thought it was funnier to call them by what I called them when I was 8. Sorry if I offended you.

I think it's ridiculous that DST is making an exception to keep the smaller characters in scale and not the larger ones. I'm fine with Groot being the same size as Star-Lord, just as I would have been fine with Rocket being the same size. Minimates are not an in-scale line, and never have been.

Well, we can't do anything about the larger ones. Because we can't make Minimates bigger. But we can make them smaller. Savvy?

So for those that say they don't understand why some of us are Dissapointed that we are not getting a proper Rocket minimate...

It would be like saying if they made a game of thrones minimates that Tyrion should be a single piece plastic accessory, because it would be silly making him the same size as Hodor.

To be fair, Peter Dinklage is much bigger than a raccoon.

Please don't fight over whether we were right or wrong,the line is what it is, whether we made the correct decision or not. I hope once people see a clear shot of the RR figurine, they appreciate it for what it is.

We're cool, it's what we do here, discuss minimates past, present and future in stupidly painful detail.

We all know what we are getting, like it or not it's not going to change at this point.

I feel it's more of a discussion on where we as collectors and owners of many ( in some cases thousands of) minimates feel the boundries should be for this sort of thing.

T.

So for those that say they don't understand why some of us are Dissapointed that we are not getting a proper Rocket minimate...

It would be like saying if they made a game of thrones minimates that Tyrion should be a single piece plastic accessory, because it would be silly making him the same size as Hodor.

To be fair, Peter Dinklage is much bigger than a raccoon.
Two points.

1) It was more a comment that he's an important character that shouldn't be sold short(no pun intended) because of his physical size in a toy line that has always played fast and loose with relative scale.

2) I think you just gave me a new Sig quote to use smile.png

T.

If the movie generates as much interest as Mini vs Micro Rocket then a Guardian of the Galaxy 2 should be likely. Perhaps everyone should stop arguing which version is better and instead start the petitions for a full size Minimate Rocket in the GotG II assortment. While I'm firmly in the full minimate treatment camp on this one from what we have seen, for now, I can live with the micro version but it would be nice if he was a hybrid of micro and mini like the plants in Plants vs Zombies and have articulation at the neck and shoulders.

As for Lego making Rocket a full size mini fig I'm betting that he gets the unarticulated half size lower leg brick. Meaning that all Rockets will be non or only partially articulated.

Also I love how individuals keep pointing out that raccoons are small. They may seem small but having faced off with one that was rather ticked off let me tell you they are a lot bigger than you might expect. Still I've had a lot of fun reading this discussion especially in light of Rocket's latest appearance where he stated "... they should stop calling me a krutacking raccoon!"

I hope at next year's Toy Fair there's a lot less "Pending licensor approval" action. It kind of takes the excitement out of the reveals a bit when we're posting stuff like "Look closer, behind the ice cube trays, on the bottom left."

correct me if I'm wrong, because I really don't know.

I had always looked at Toy Fair as a peak behind the curtain. It seems to have become bigger event, but isn't it more of a huge business/sales conference? And they really technically aren't reveals, but us just getting a sneak peak of what the companies are trying to sell? I think we are lucky to see this stuff. I'm sure many of you older guys like me remember seeing new stuff once a year, in the Sears and JCPenney's Christmas wish books.... or on the backs of GI Joe cards. If you ask me, we are lucky to see anything.

like I said, I really don't know, and have only been aware of Toy Fair since I've been collecting minimates. I don't remember all the same buzz for it, when i was younger, collecting GI Joes. But times have changed, I blame the internet, lol

New 15 second teaser trailer!

Again, I don't have a problem with the size, I just don't see what the big deal is in making a smaller model of Minimate with limited articulation, but again...Chuck has stated time and time again that Marvel Minimates will remain 2". People were happy with the Snarf/Berbil/Wolf-Rat/Ma-Mutt solutions because we knew that DST wasn't the license holder and that the window for production was limited. All of those Thundercats ministatues were a nice bonus to the line, but if none of them were produced, it wouldn't have affected the line.

I would even be happy with losing much of the standard Minimate articulation and going to 5 points of articulation - all ball joints: Head, Shoulders, Thighs. I understand the costs involved in tooling that would be considerably more than producing a mini-statue, but again, I collect Minimates - not capsule toys. Rocket would have been the perfect place to introduce a "build-a-figure" system to Minimates, something that many people have been wanting and asking DST about for years. Release the Mini-statue as an attachable pack in with Groot, but then distribute the pieces to build a full-size pose-able Rocket Minimate in all of the packs of the wave. Remember how we all felt when we finally saw the MODOK Minimate? Rocket should have been then same type of "You can do that with a Minimate?" revelation.

Sometimes it feels like instead of trying to push the boundaries of the line to support the license, Chuck is content with forcing the license to fit the boundaries of the line. If it is all due to existing licensing agreements with Marvel, then fine, I accept that as a reason.

Edited by youbastards

You're right, it's not "for us" but at the same time, the reason we haven't gotten any news recently is because they save it for Toy Fair, so even if it's not a fan event, the companies who show product there are very aware that fans are watching just as closely, and several of them release official shots the same day, so it's definitely used as a tool for companies to show product to fans, if not in the actual room.

I think the reason it irritated me this year is because GotG and X-Men hit theaters in just a few months, and the licensor still hasn't signed off on the 'mates? It's not DST's fault, but it's kind of a lackluster reveal.

"We have 'mates for Guardians and X-Men!"

"Can we see them?"

"....no."

I have no idea what the deal is with Aliens, the franchise is decades old and it seems to take the parent company ages to sign off on anything.

It is weird, since we know that Minimates aren't usually held to the actor likeness standards of action figures. That's why DST was able to make Minimates of Clint Eastwood and Tom Cruise, whom are notorious for not allowing toys in their image.

Get off my lawn you kids! ;)

Yeah, I remember those days well, Nervous. Man, going to the store and seeing a new package design for Joes and knowing it meant like 15 new guys to find! Then taking the cardback to school to drool over all of the new figures with your friends.

Edited by Lobsterman

Anybody else remember the pre internet days when the ToyFair coverage would show up in magazines in the spring? I remember looking forward to that issue every year and spending hours looking over upcoming stuff. I also remember before I was old enough to even buy those magazines just parking at the magazine stand while my mom did her grocery shopping. Good times!