UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

"Sin City" Minimates

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't hate Alan Moore as much as I hate his attitude. As for Miller, I didn't care for All Star Goddamn Batman, but I don't hate his previous work that I've enjoyed.

But Alan Moore needs an editor who's unafraid to tell him that all of his genius ideas are still getting stuck in his head and not translating to the page as well as his holiness seems to think they are when he writes them. His recent work just oozes pompousness, as if it doesn't "click" for you it's the readers fault not the writers. Grant Morrison needs the same editor too, BTW.

Can someone explain to me the Frank Miller hate?

For me it was the unreadable "Dark Knight Strikes Back." His treatment for the Batman: Year One movie was also garbage. I didn't even bother with his work on All-Star based on all the negativity surrounding it, from the content to the blown deadlines. (Which Jim Lee takes a lot of credit for but Miller was blowing deadlines with "The Dark Knight Returns.")

Has it been stated whether these will be black and white like the movie was, or if they'll have normal color too? I know NECA did both with their line a while back.

That hadn't yet been decided when I asked Chuck at SDCC. Full-color, spot-color, or B/W, it was still up in the air. I think he mentioned they'd be a both TRU and Specialty.

No black and white!!!!!!!!! I dont care about keeping the look of the source material, these are minimates and the glorious thing about minimates is that their parts are compatible with each other across 10 different licenses. I would be so irritated if they made a Brittany Murphy Shelley in the same outfit as her NECA figure and it was black and white, or anything but full color. The Walking Dead minimates are in color despite the comics being black and white, and they are BETTER because of it. Again, black and white = boring and incompatible.

• 3 weeks later...

sad.png

I just meant about the debate over color vs. black-and-white. I think we've gotten questions about the action figures we showed at SDCC (which was Hartigan in color AND black-and-white), and I'm sure we'll get more Minimates questions once we do more than hang a banner on the back of the booth and show some control art in a panel. We haven't even showed a protoype yet!

I'm just encouraging people to share their thoughts with people who are in a position to do something about it. I know people are sad when Chuck won't commit to making X character, or gives a vague response, but he reads every single letter, and he notes
if a question has been asked before. So if people have opinions about how a line should be done, a letter to the president of DST BEFORE prototypes are shown and solicited in one format or the other might not be the worst idea, especially when arguments could be made for both sides.

That said, I believe we've already decided how to go forward with color and black-and-white, and hopefully it makes everyone happy. (It won't.)

Sorry to intrude.

No black and white!!!!!!!!! I dont care about keeping the look of the source material, these are minimates and the glorious thing about minimates is that their parts are compatible with each other across 10 different licenses. I would be so irritated if they made a Brittany Murphy Shelley in the same outfit as her NECA figure and it was black and white, or anything but full color. The Walking Dead minimates are in color despite the comics being black and white, and they are BETTER because of it. Again, black and white = boring and incompatible.

Well, they'd be compatible with Lost in Space, Clerks, and Universal monsters! biggrin.png

And don't forget that the movie was entirely in black-and-white (with the spot colors from the comic), and even the comic was largely printed with black-and-white covers. (Big Fat Kill and Hell and Back had color covers on the issues, as did the Family Values book, but the newer collection covers are black-and-white.)

Meanwhile, the covers to the Walking Dead comics are all in color, as is the TV show that helped make the TWD Minimates line a reality and undoubtedly helps its sales. So it's not exactly apples and apples. BUT we will definitely be making both color and black-and-white. Not sure if Shelley will make it in to either format, but Ask DST!

Sorry to intrude.