UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Marvel and DC Big 7

Alright, I am wrestling with myself on which forum to place these particular pictures. On one hand, it is a snapshot of my collection, on the other hand, it is a pseudo-strip. But mostly, it is a sycophantic expression of gratitude to Rob :D, for helping me complete my DC Big 7 collection.

I collect figures of the X-Men 1 cover diorama (13 figures in all) and the Big 7 characters of both DC and Marvel. Whenever a certain toyline appeals to me, I limit myself to these two themes. On the "Big 7" front, I have the 6-7" scale in Marvel Legends and DC Direct. I have the 3.75" scale in Marvel Universe and DC Infinite Heroes (still lacking Wonder Woman and Aquaman). I've got their CMFs, POP! Heroes (no Thor and Mr. Fantastic for Marvel yet), Heroclix and Superhero Squad/Action League. With respect to minimates, my favorite toyline of course, I had a difficult time tracking down the DCs. So, I formed my Marvel version first.

IMG-20121027-00813.jpg

Marvel's Big 3 are Spidey, Wolvy and Hulk. The Avengers Big 3 are Cap, Iron Man and Thor. I decided to make Mr. Fantastic the 7th member as Marvel's first family needed representation.

Slowly, I got several members of the DC Big 7, except for Martian Manhunter. I have been searching for a good deal in ebay and in our local forums to no avail. I just compromised. Since DC rebooted their entire universe and made Cyborg the 7th member of the League and kicked out J'onn J'onzz, I too, have decided to use my Cyborg minimate to complete my lesser version of the DC Seven.

IMG-20121027-00808.jpg

Yup, this is a nod to Justice League 1 DCNU.

Then BHM's Blow-out happened. And this happened.

IMG-20121027-00816.jpg

The one true token member of the Justice League. :whistling:

Which led to this.

IMG-20121027-00822.jpg

Yup, this is JLA 1 by Morrison.

Poor Cyborg.

IMG-20121027-00818.jpg

Combining both Big 7 teams -

IMG-20121027-00836.jpg

So, thank you Rob for this. I am no longer actively backtracking for any minimate (I won't go into protos. :blink: ). Thanks mate! :D

This guy thinks otherwise.

IMG-20121027-00820.jpg

You suck Rob!!! :angry:

Nice displays and good choices. As for personal choice myself on the Marvel one I would have used Torch or The Thing to represent the FF. I agree on the earlier comment on GA instead of Martian Manhunter as I would rank GA higher in the DC lists then MM but thats just me.

I do like the background on the DC images, very nice :thumbsup:

Thanks for the appreciation guys. :D

jcastick & MiniFiend UK, I actually agree that GA is higher in the popularity ladder than the Martian, especially now with his own TV series. But I stuck with what is generally accepted to be DC's seven, as popularized maybe by Morrison's JLA run. Truth be told, DC just might have a Big 6, or even a Big 4 (Trinity + Green Lantern).

With Marvel, it's trickier. They don't actually have any Big 7 or Big 3 labels. I just forced a DC analogue. I think everyone would agree to their major 6 characters. For the seventh, an argument can be made for the Human Torch, since he has been around during the Golden Age (it's not actually Johnny Storm, but still...). The same can be said for Thing, as I think he might actually be more popular than Reed. But I decided to go with the F4's leader. He looks so pretty with his elongated body parts (his head will be updated come Wave 48) while Thing will just be an orange Hulk, or Torch will just be a flamed-on Spider-man. :)

buttheadsmate, I actually got these a week ago, it's only now that I had the time to take pics and all. :)

Oh, I forgot to explain my choice for display bases. I'm dying to get this out of me, so please indulge, disagree if you must.

I see Marvel heroes as "street" heroes, doing the dirty work in order to save people. Further, they have internal turmoils. Hulk's angry, Spidey's guilty, Wolvy's berserk, Cap's out-of-time, Stark's arrogant, etc. They're real characters so I "grounded" them to reality. Pun on the word ground. :)

DC heroes, on the other hand, are like Gods. Perched on their lofty space headquarters, and being practically worshipped by the people of their universe (or multiverse). So, the base is supposed to be part of their JLA watchtower hovering above our planet.

Marvel has characters, while DC has icons.

Yup, heavily influenced by Busiek/Perez's JLA/Avengers mini-series.

Wow, love your displays.:thumbsup:

Those guys are considered DC's Big Seven because that was the original JLA membership. No, J'onn's status doesn't really reflect his popularity all that well, but he's been a vital part of the JL in most incarnations (the most notable being the Satellite era). Honestly, if you were going to make a case for someone to replace him, it's probably Captain Marvel, not Green Arrow. Besides, who would you take in a fight, Martian Manhunter or Green Arrow?:lol:

I would agree that the Thing probably supersedes Mr. Fantastic; after all, he's the only one that's ever proven he can sustain a solo title for any length of time. But Reed does look nice with them.

Yeah, with the exception of the New 52 Justice League, I think Martian has been in every incarnation of the team.

@hellpop, I forgot to consider Thing being able to sustain a solo title. Actually, when I was still forming my Marvel Big 7 in Mighty Muggs, I was so tempted to include Thing since the line didn't have Reed, and he just looks so darn cute. Perhaps, that was a sign, no? But like you said, Reed's elastic body looks good with the rest of the gang. :D

• 2 weeks later...