UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 42

boyd

I'm the same way!

I'd prefer him with the Ebony Blade as well. Y'know, this version: http://www.marveldirectory.com/pictures/individuals/b_3d/blackknightiii.gif

That way I can have an Avenger AND Defender!

And if they'd release his Masters of Evil uncle as the variant, well, I'd be tinkled pink: http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel//universe3zx/images/thumb/e/ed/Garrett.jpg/406px-Garrett.jpg

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for pointing out the packaging error, Minifiend. That Cap bio is actually correct, but the Kirby Thor is certainly mislabeled, and I'm nervous to look at the rest of the boxes now.

And before you guys dismiss Civil War Cap, I'd just like to say that he comes with the standard mask, the WWII-style helmet with mask and an extra pair of non-leather-jacket arms.

And, unfortunately, I don't think we'll have them at NYCC. I was totally misreading a ship date when I said September. I believe November is the most recent ship date.

Eirc Masterson as Thor = Bearded Thor

They're not even trying to hide it now, are they? "Oh, hey, look, a variant re-release! That we clearly labeled as one we've already released. Just warming you guys up for JJJ and yet another Black Spidey that we've so cunningly found a way around. See? He's not wave two. This one has blue on him. Would you like something shiny to play with little boy? Here's a piece of aluminum foil. Go chew on it."

Don't get me wrong, Zach, I'm not dismissing leather jacket Cap, although I imagine you guys settled on Civil War Cap since Leather Jacket Cap doesn't have much punch. If he indeed comes with the WW II helmet, then it sounds like the motorcycle outfit that Cap sports in EMH. Which is cool. No it's more that it's a fairly uninspiring choice when measured again some of the Cap related characters that did not make the cut, like Zemo or especially Sam. So it's not that we dislike this Cap so much as we'd rather have had a Falcon, Baron Zemo, or Winter Soldier in it's place.

Don't get me wrong, Zach, I'm not dismissing leather jacket Cap, although I imagine you guys settled on Civil War Cap since Leather Jacket Cap doesn't have much punch. If he indeed comes with the WW II helmet, then it sounds like the motorcycle outfit that Cap sports in EMH. Which is cool. No it's more that it's a fairly uninspiring choice when measured again some of the Cap related characters that did not make the cut, like Zemo or especially Sam. So it's not that we dislike this Cap so much as we'd rather have had a Falcon, Baron Zemo, or Winter Soldier in it's place.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

They're not even trying to hide it now, are they? "Oh, hey, look, a variant re-release! That we clearly labeled as one we've already released. Just warming you guys up for JJJ and yet another Black Spidey that we've so cunningly found a way around. See? He's not wave two. This one has blue on him. Would you like something shiny to play with little boy? Here's a piece of aluminum foil. Go chew on it."

I don't think DST are trying to be sneaky about -- or "find a way around" -- the fact that they clearly re-release previous variant characters now. There's nothing to hide, they released the new Spider-Woman over two years ago Dino! It may be time to accept that this "policy" has changed.

Out of curiosity, what was the exact wording on this anyway? Because technically they never have re-released a variant itself, just made a new version of that character. And was it mentioned in press releases and stuff, or just something Chuck said on the boards, back when he thought the line wasn't going to last more than a couple of years?

While I have my own counter-arguments to everything that was said here, it's not my job to argue, so I'll just say that every line plan is meticulously crafted, and endlessly thought out.

Point A: then step off the clock, take the company man hat off and make your case fan to fan. Which is my snarky way of saying I understand that as a represenative of the company, you hands are somewhat tied in what you can and can't say. But it you have counter arguments you can make "on your own time" so to speak, I'd like to hear them. If not, I completely understand. And I thank you for being as active around here as you are.

Point B: I don't doubt there's more afternoon killing meetings that go into each wave lineup than we even want to know. And yeah, I get that "fan service" is a factor in those meetings, it's not THE factor. I get it. I do. But as a fan you know what it is to be disappointed a bit in a lineup choice, no matter the amount of unsen work that went into it. Like back in the day, when we realised that while Golden Pharoh and Cyclotron were cool and all, they meant no Black Manta or Sinestro that wave (which sadly turned out to be the last but that's a tale for another time) That's all I'm saying.

I think I can speak for almost everyone here when I say we have tremendous rescept for the work you and the team do on these toys. And without question we believe that you guys are doing such a better job of doing it right than your king sized competitors.

But I would have still rather have had a Falcon / Armin Zola pack. YMMV

Falcon/Zola...mmmmmm.... That would have been nice, but it is what it is. I'm glad to hear that Cap will be coming with spare arms. When I saw his regular mask, that was the first thing I wondered. This sounds lame, but the blue on this one looks nice. All of the modern Cap releases since the Invaders Cap have had some minor problem that prevents them from being perfect. Will his gloves be the new hand-and-cuff or the old school glove?

I plan on giving the Civil War Cap the blonde hairpiece, and using him as a casual 'off duty' (Cap is never off duty, aye? aye!) Steve Rogers. We have plenty of Starks, a Banner and a Blake (sort of).

That or give him the Frontline Cap helmet (I like that better than the Ult WWII Cap one he had in the prototype), and as Miry said, find him a nice old fashioned bike.

Now that I've seen the final versions I'm quite excited about this wave which may go some way to exposing how critical & hypocritical I can sometimes be when proposed Minimates are first pictured/announced. This looks like a pretty strong line-up now I see them in the 'flesh' although I'm not sure if the army builder resembles Jagger or Richards,probably Jagger because Richards is far craggier. The leather jacket look, whether accurate or not, is lost on me but now that I know that they can be dispensed with I'm happy . Happy? Yep,happy....I'm generally more than happy with the majority of Minimates released & they give me a great deal of pleasure .

I needed to say that 'cause I moan too much. :thumbsup:

Edited by buttheadsmate

Yeah, I know where you are coming from Rob. Wishlist characters aside, there is always a renewed interest in a line for me once I see the packaged pix, even if none of my most-desired characters are in the wave. I really have to give DST's marketing more kudos for the new package design, it really helps sell something I was only partially excited about.

That said, I think we have gotten enough Thor & Cap variations now that I will gladly welcome the upcoming Spidey wave, if for no other reason than a break from the Avengers deluge...until next years Avengers deluge.

Yeah, I know where you are coming from Rob. Wishlist characters aside, there is always a renewed interest in a line for me once I see the packaged pix, even if none of my most-desired characters are in the wave. I really have to give DST's marketing more kudos for the new package design, it really helps sell something I was only partially excited about.

That said, I think we have gotten enough Thor & Cap variations now that I will gladly welcome the upcoming Spidey wave, if for no other reason than a break from the Avengers deluge...until next years Avengers deluge.

Funny, now that I think about it, that happens to me too. When waves are first announced, I have a tendency to "yeah but" them, as in "yeah, Crossbones is great, but where's the Falcon?" By the time packaged picks come around, I've accepted the lineup and can judge the figures on their own merits. It's amazing how many times I was dead-set on purchasing a pack, only to feel myself starting to waver when the packaged picks come out. Dismissiveness divided by acceptance equals purchase, I guess.

That said, I still think "Captain America wearing a jacket" is the absolute laziest Minimate I've ever seen. It's like that guy on eBay trying to sell that "Joker Goon" custom, which is a Joker Minimate with a red hairpiece. :rolleyes:

Edited by hellpop

I don't think DST are trying to be sneaky about -- or "find a way around" -- the fact that they clearly re-release previous variant characters now. There's nothing to hide, they released the new Spider-Woman over two years ago Dino! It may be time to accept that this "policy" has changed.

Out of curiosity, what was the exact wording on this anyway? Because technically they never have re-released a variant itself, just made a new version of that character. And was it mentioned in press releases and stuff, or just something Chuck said on the boards, back when he thought the line wasn't going to last more than a couple of years?

Yes. I know. I'm okay with the policy having changed. But they need to SAY so. It wasn't that long ago (when Melee Spidey came out I believe) when I asked and they said "We will never re-release a variant." As I was holding Melee in my hand. Well, Melee, BiB, 43 Spidey, Spiderwoman and JJJ all disagree. Eric Masterson is the exact same character in the exact same costume.

It is not that I don't like the new mates. It is not that I feel the new ones are stealing their due from the old ones (which is partially true but that's another discussion). It is that DST won't change their policy, when the practice of their policy has already changed.

What I would like is for them to make a press release or a Q&A and say "We will make whatever the hell we want, whenever we want to." If they're still a small, family friendly company, that's the honorable and correct thing to do. However, that route does not afford them protection, because when people ask for a 3" Sentinel, their answer can no longer be "We can't do that." it has to be "We don't want to."

I'm arguing semantics here, but the semantics are very important to me. I know things have changed. I just want official acknowledgement of the change.

If he indeed comes with the WW II helmet, then it sounds like the motorcycle outfit that Cap sports in EMH. Which is cool.

You have no idea how awesome this is. If it is than it means Wasp has a chance. Oh man, y'all thought I freaked out over Ultimate Spider Woman? Y'all ain't seen nothin yet. XD

If he indeed comes with the WW II helmet, then it sounds like the motorcycle outfit that Cap sports in EMH. Which is cool.

You have no idea how awesome this is. If it is than it means Wasp has a chance. Oh man, y'all thought I freaked out over Ultimate Spider Woman? Y'all ain't seen nothin yet. XD

I haven't seen the show, but after a quick Google search, I'd say that's exactly the outfit he would be wearing- even down to the shoulder insignia- if Minimates covered the EMH license. It's not much of a stretch to throw a jacket on Cap and call it whatever you will (Civil War?) and get away with it. Wasp's look is pretty specific, and I don't know that a similar look has appeared in the comics.

Nothing like it at all. But really, all someone needs to do is do a comic-style sketch of Wasp, and then DST can call it "Concept Wasp" The thought of EMH figures literally makes me giddy.

As long as they promise to make the Living Laser, I'm in.

I'm with you guys, I have been disappointed in a lineup many times, but by the time they show up for sale I'm usually much more excited for them. I still think we should be averaging more than two new characters a wave at this point, but the appeal of having new mates to pick up is strong.

Yes. I know. I'm okay with the policy having changed. But they need to SAY so. It wasn't that long ago (when Melee Spidey came out I believe) when I asked and they said "We will never re-release a variant." As I was holding Melee in my hand. Well, Melee, BiB, 43 Spidey, Spiderwoman and JJJ all disagree. Eric Masterson is the exact same character in the exact same costume.

It is not that I don't like the new mates. It is not that I feel the new ones are stealing their due from the old ones (which is partially true but that's another discussion). It is that DST won't change their policy, when the practice of their policy has already changed.

What I would like is for them to make a press release or a Q&A and say "We will make whatever the hell we want, whenever we want to." If they're still a small, family friendly company, that's the honorable and correct thing to do. However, that route does not afford them protection, because when people ask for a 3" Sentinel, their answer can no longer be "We can't do that." it has to be "We don't want to."

I'm arguing semantics here, but the semantics are very important to me. I know things have changed. I just want official acknowledgement of the change.

Where did you ask this? I can't find anything in the old Q&As, so without seeing the actual question/answer I can only speculate. But at the time LCS mates were still being re-released at TRU/Target, so he was likely saying that the variants wouldn't ever be among the re-releases. If it was that early in the line, I can't see how he'd have been talking about never releasing new, updated versions of the same characters/costumes, since they didn't really start doing that until Wave 24 a year and half later. Again, those variants you listed weren't re-released, the characters were remade entirely after the whole direction of Minimates shifted towards more detail -- there's a big semantic difference between the two.

Also Chuck's comments in chats/Q&As are pretty off-the-cuff and so occasionally inaccurate or unclear, as we're always quick to point out :whistling:. I mean I also don't think some random Winter Soldier comment means we'll never see a mate of him, or that there's suddenly a new "no dead characters" policy or whatever.

If I'm wrong and he really did say, and mean, that there was an official DST policy that the characters/costumes released as variants would never be re-released as is or remade as new, updated mates -- well then, as we've agreed, that's obviously changed. In fact, as you say yourself it was never in effect in the first place, since you had Melee Spidey before you asked the question. But if you need a statement to that effect, I'd ask for one in a Q&A or chat (and maybe avoid words like corruption, stupidity and lazy, as in the other thread ;)). As a general rule, companies don't make press releases about things they're *not* doing.

• 2 weeks later...

So since the little card for TRU Wave 12 said October, I assume we all know to raise a shout the second they show up on the TRU website, right? right? I mean, 11 never physically showed up here, the first time that's happened in ages, but it's made me really neverous about getting a hold of Balder and Crossbones. The website's spotty history with Marvel waves does not inspire confidence either.

I mean, 11 never physically showed up here, the first time that's happened in ages, but it's made me really neverous about getting a hold of Balder and Crossbones. The website's spotty history with Marvel waves does not inspire confidence either.

Miry - did you check to see if your TRU has a Marvel section setup in the seasonal section toward the front of the store? I was really frustrated that my store never got them weeks after I got them online, and then was browsing the store one day and found a special Marvel section near the seasonal stuff and low and behold there was almost a full case sitting there.

Yep. Some Omega Reds, Blinks and Iron Fists, even some Dark Magnetos and Cannonballs. And the usual movie wave left overs. But no 11.

And for the record, I landed the exclusives through the website this time, so it didn't matter they never showed. But again, with the website inconsistent about listing Marvel waves, and 11 not showing up in person, I am more nervous than I've been in a while about finding them.

Edited by Mirymate