UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 11

Lurch77

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. It seemed like a simpler procedure before I really thought about it, because it looked like I could just attach a flesh-colored upper arm to the fuschia puffy part – then I obviously realized I was trying to connect two of the same half of the hinge joint.

Thus, there is some drilling and gluing involved. First, I dremelled out the shoulder holes on the puffy sleeves enough to fit some regular wrist holes in them. Because the upper arm is slightly longer than the lower arm, you'll need to drill into the puffy part pretty deep (but make sure not to drill out the other side!) Then, I cut down some flesh-colored lower arms to be just long enough to fit hand pegs in, and glued them into the puffy sleeve holes. So that's the easy part.

Next, I cut off the fuschia lower arm (now the top) as close to the hinge joint as possible, while still leaving an intact transverse surface to glue the new upper arm to. Then, I cut the upper shoulder section of a flesh-colored arm to an appropriate length – you'll need to eyeball both pieces together next to a regular arm so you don't make the composite too long – and glued it to the hinged fuschia arm section. Finally, I sanded the bonded area down so the seam doesn't show as much, and painted it. Being a perfectionist, I'm thinking about going back in and sanding the seam down some more and covering it with some epoxy putty and repainting, just to hide the joined area as much as possible. Also, I hand-painted it on the last go-around, thinking the area was so small that brush strokes wouldn't really show, but they do, so I'm going to do it properly this time and mask and airbrush for a smooth finish.

Thanks. It seemed like a simpler procedure before I really thought about it, because it looked like I could just attach a flesh-colored upper arm to the fuschia puffy part – then I obviously realized I was trying to connect two of the same half of the hinge joint.

My take-away. Great custom, and the final product really does look simple and effortless, but hearing the amount of work you put into it... I think I'll just make do with the stock version. It's a shame DST fell short on this one.

My take-away. Great custom, and the final product really does look simple and effortless, but hearing the amount of work you put into it... I think I'll just make do with the stock version. It's a shame DST fell short on this one.

In fairness, asking for newly sculpted arms for circa 1987 Betsy Braddock might have been pushing it a bit. If we were ever going to get a figure of this, I don't reckon I would have expected DST to go beyond existing parts.

Um... yeah, okay... so much for the "maybe I'll try that" notion. I'm still on the paint-and-part-swap phase of the custom game. It's moments like this I wish there were someone doing 3rd party minimate parts. (Course they'd be like $10 an arm to cover costs, but hey...) Really nice work though.

Here's my updated Betsy:

Betsy1jpg.jpg

Hairpiece is a modified Wonder Woman hairpiece with the tiara sanded off and repainted.

For the arms, I had started a similar mod as Lobsterman, but I messed up one of the arms and scrapped it, and sculpted them up from Fixit sculpt.

I also gave her a butterfly power effect:

Betsy2jpg.jpg

A couple more pix are available on my customs page.

I also gave her a butterfly power effect:

Points for trying harder than DST did on that.

Good work.

Just wondering if any of the board's customizers going to take a stab and try to make a correct pair of puffy cuffed arms for Miss Braddock?
Fixed.

betsy.jpg

Damn - i missed this. Very fine work Lobsterman. I'd much rather be paying for that than what dst gave us. A+