UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

All those extra parts?

Curious how you guys who display your minimates deal with all the extra parts that come with them?

Do you have a system, just throw them all in a bin and not worry about it, or know minimates inside and out so well you could pick out an extra Black foot from the IM Hostile Takeover boxed set from a pile of parts.

I don't display mine (I keep them in accessory boxes that function as carrying cases), but I usually keep unique parts with a particular 'mate, and throw extra generic parts into my custom bin. For example, extra arms (like the set that came with Titanium Man), hairpieces for unmasking someone, that kind of thing. Were I to display them, I'd probably only put out parts essential to the character (like Hawkeye's bow) and put the rest aside. That's what I do with my other figures that I do display.

They get divided out with the mate they came with. Except MAX. They get dumped in together.

I actually ran into a real problem where I ran out of storage and started throwing mates in the same bags, and all the parts got mixed up. I still have accessories that i don't know who they go to.

i'm one of the twisted individuals who keeps the packaging . . . so the spare parts that aren't on display are actually in their little plastic trays, in the packaging.

Don't judge me :P

i'm one of the twisted individuals who keeps the packaging . . . so the spare parts that aren't on display are actually in their little plastic trays, in the packaging.

This would be best, if not for storage issues, as far as myself and my room is concerned. :D

Initially, when I was just starting out, I didn't foresee minimate accessories as a problem. But when my collection started to grow, and I kept on purchasing and purchasing, I suddenly found myself in a minimate accessory deluge. :(

I fold the boxes and throw the plastic holders so I can't do Nessex' method.

Youbastard's method is nice. I'm now torn between it and dividing the accessories per character or theme (e.g. All Iron Man accessories go together, or all Avenger accessories for that matter). I wonder what's more manageable.

All my mates are still in storage right now, but in case I ever display them I think I'll just include the "essential" accessories so to speak. Wave 28 Deadpool and movie Punisher both have piles of weapons, so I'd probably just display them with guns akimbo and then safely stow away everything else. The Green Lanterns (or at least just Hal) will be displayed with their power batteries, the BSG Viper pilots keep their guns in their holsters, etc.

As far as organizing accessories go, my current system separates them by license (Marvel, DC, moviemates, etc.), then by wave. Mostly, anyway, I'd probably need a much bigger tackle box if I was serious about separating every single wave/boxset.

Me? I use a combination of bins and bags. I have smaller properties (DC, Batman, Terminator, Ghostbusters, etc.) in quart sized Ziploc bags. I have BSG and now the MAX line in bins. I also keep all my duplicates in a few customizing bins.

Marvel is a different matter. They take up multiple bags and bins. In fact, I just spent a week going through all my Marvel mates and organizing them; with the help of the Minimate Database, of course. I keep all my Spiderman and X-men mates in two separate bins. The rest of my Marvel mates go into a third bin. I keep the Marvel Movie Mates in Ziplocs, organized by movie, generally by year (X3 with Spiderman 3, Wolverine with Punisher, etc.). I recently realized I needed to further separate the bulk Marvel mates. As such, all Iron Man related mates are now in there own bag. I have also decided to start a new bin for my Fantastic Four (including Inhumans, Skrulls and Atlantians) minimates. All accessories get put in with the characters' bins. In the case of minimates like Louis Tully and Movie IM mk1 who have two VERY different looks, I have both versions of the character stored as if they were two different characters.

New mates get displayed for a while, then put into their respective bins/bags to make room for newer mates.

I have a plastic pencil box where all "special" parts go that I want to save, but are not currently displayed with the character, like Taskmaster's sword for example. Any parts that I don't feel are special get recycled into the great customizing machine. :)

I also use small ziploc bags. If a wave only has a few extra parts I put all the wave's stuff in one bag. If one character has large extra parts or a lot of them then I use one bag for that character. Then all thos ebags go in a box where I keep all my extra minimates that I trade.

Why did I never think of this? I've got every package from every minimate I've ever owned! Well, Marvel a least. They store nicely.

I'll one up you and raise the brown cardboard box the minimates are shipped in to stores. So I keep them in their packaging which then kept in the box that they are shipped in. So 3 full waves of mates and parts are kept in each box.

Don't judge me either please. :P

Ooh, ooh. What about the army builder counter dumps? I keep the plastic tray inside the little 1.5 sq. in. box, of which twelve are inside the counter display, which is itself inside the original brown cardboard shipping box. :D (Which is inside a nice BBTS box, but I digress.) Alas my accessories are kept elsewhere, cataloged but disorganized.

Judge all you like, I've done worse things. :P

I'll one up you and raise the brown cardboard box the minimates are shipped in to stores. So I keep them in their packaging which then kept in the box that they are shipped in. So 3 full waves of mates and parts are kept in each box.

Don't judge me either please. :P

LOL - no judgement. Every time i get an order from Luke's in one of those boxes, i keep it to put the packages in too :P

Well, Ivan has me beat. I typically get my mates locally so I don't have the extra store shipping box that holds the minimate shipping box that holds the packaging box that holds the plastic tray that holds the minimates and accessories.

I love how we all understand each other. :highfive2:

I invoke the Fifth Amendment , I do so to protect myself from being declared completely insane.

I have extras . Some extras.

BTW each dumpcase of 12 Minimates is packed within its own brown cardboard box ........& consequently packed with another similar box in a further,larger,factory-sealed brown cardboard box.

LOL - no judgement. Every time i get an order from Luke's in one of those boxes, i keep it to put the packages in too :P

I want to tell my story but I can't I just can't :(

You are in a safe place, BHM. There is no judgement here. . . . only tolerance & acceptance.

Repeat after me:

My Name is Buttheadsmate . . . . and i'm a collectorholic.

My Name is BeavisButtheadsmate ........and I'm a collectorholic.

I have been 4 hours without buying a Minimate & I must not be tempted by the cheap GB sets.

Didn't know about the extra layer on the counterdumps BHM, how many sets of 12 come per outer-case? :)

I must say I'm getting better though. I haven't kept any of the opened two-pack or box set packaging for quite a few waves now. Yet despite a massive closet reorganization last week, I still couldn't bring myself to toss out the older boxes. It's history! Well, that's my excuse anyway. :)

I keep mine in the plastic tray, which is in the box, which is in the case, which is in the box that my online retailer placed said case in, which is in the mail truck that delivered it to my house. Hoarder that I am, I even keep the mailman in the driver's seat (I feed him and walk him twice a day). My goal is to one day keep them all in the factory that made the Minimates, but I don't have enough resources to take on the Chinese army at the moment.