UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 9

CortherX

I emailed TRU.com to see if they could give me some information. Their answer was go to the store (even though my email explained I didn't have a TRU near me) and gave me a link to a store locator... or to keep looking online in the hopes that they'd get them in again.

Alas, no help.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can kind of understand the worry people feel when they don't bag a figure as soon as it's released.

I missed out on buying a Marvel Universe Jean Grey when she was first released because i thought it was a bit high in price from an online dealer here. . . now they've sold out & she's going for 3 times that price on eBay. LOL.

Still - i've generally found that patience pays off in the end. . .

Just checked my TRU today....the only thing that had more stock was the Fantastic Four Wave, HALO and Universal Monsters.

I've stopped asking if they have gotten in new waves because, even though I show them what I'm looking for and describe it to them in detail with character names and all......they STILL have no idea what they are looking for.

Well I finally found the "Brown" Wolverine and I mainly wanted him to round out the old school X-Men that I have and especially this team. Since I've been playing the old Konami arcade game On my PS3. I also got Magik and Warlock and I'm just gonna have to get an extra set of New Mutants to make that awesome Doug Ramsey that MsMarvel fan made.

xmen.jpg

xarcade.jpg

Since I've been playing the old Konami arcade game On my PS3.

Another reason why I must have a PS3......I LOVED that game in the arcades!

I still find it funny that everyone is looking for the exclusives and all I'm looking for are the Wolverine and Spiderman packs...lol

Well I finally found the "Brown" Wolverine and I mainly wanted him to round out the old school X-Men that I have and especially this team. Since I've been playing the old Konami arcade game On my PS3.

He he he he - i've been playing it too. I can't beleive how short a game it is though! it used to seem so long and brutal at the arcade.

I guess having unlimited 1-ups on the PS3 helps.

Love your Konami collection :thumbsup:

Hope we get an offical Dazzler as nice as your one with a Disco Dazzler variant (or vice-versa).

Well I finally found the "Brown" Wolverine and I mainly wanted him to round out the old school X-Men that I have and especially this team. Since I've been playing the old Konami arcade game On my PS3.

He he he he - i've been playing it too. I can't beleive how short a game it is though! it used to seem so long and brutal at the arcade.

I guess having unlimited 1-ups on the PS3 helps.

Love your Konami collection :thumbsup:

Hope we get an offical Dazzler as nice as your one with a Disco Dazzler variant (or vice-versa).

It IS a short game isn't it? But it's so much fun online! It was a quarter guzzler back in the days. I could never get to the end with the amount of money I had. I did see a Lizard and Spidey 2 pack but I'm mainly an X-Men fan although the Cannonball and Shatterstar don't interest me as much. I know I'll end up regretting it since I've been reading the complete New Mutants series and I think I might end up reading the complete X-Force series after that. Then I'll be thinking, "That Cannonball and Shatterstar sure looked cool."

Edited by Serge_Havok

Well I finally found the "Brown" Wolverine and I mainly wanted him to round out the old school X-Men that I have and especially this team. Since I've been playing the old Konami arcade game On my PS3. I also got Magik and Warlock and I'm just gonna have to get an extra set of New Mutants to make that awesome Doug Ramsey that MsMarvel fan made.

xmen.jpg

xarcade.jpg

Gosh your Dazzler minimate looks amazing! Hopefully DST decides to make her (in both costumes I might add) and Longshot soon

It IS a short game isn't it? But it's so much fun online! It was a quarter guzzler back in the days. I could never get to the end with the amount of money I had.

The worst part was fighting Magneto. As with most games back then, the end-boss was the seriously cheap quarter muncher. By the time you go to him, you invested so much that you felt compelled to keep putting money in, but it would cost an extra $4-5 just to beat his cheap a$$.

Oh, well. I got this on my PS3, as well, and played it through once. Doesn't hold the same charm it used to, of course.

Bear in mind that my experience of TRU sets is based entirely on what I read here ,ebay & PMs from people giving me help finding them ............

It seems to me that most TRU sets are 'available' during a brief 2 month window ,scarce at first then more plentiful & then the popular sets disappear completely from ebay, except at ridiculous prices*. The HB/LJ sets were slow to show but then they did, in the second month of that window, there was a deluge of them That may not be a lot of comfort for you guys that trawl all your local TRUs but that's the way I see it . With Wave 9 we know they are out there & we know TRU.com have at least some of them, we are therefore in the early days & there ought to be a few weeks left for us all to get our fix.

Leastways I bloody well hope so :(

* Try finding a once plentiful, Logan/Hawkeye set now !

I'd say two months isn't "brief" in the action figure collecting world, though. I think TRU has handled stoking and restocking Minimates a lot better then they have other collector-driven toys, and also better then the other Big Two US toy retailers. I much prefer shopping at TRU then the others.

And, as you say, there's usually an initial allotment, and then a restock. Meaning that there's more of a chance to get the Minimates you want at TRU then at, say, your local comic book store, which most likely orders one case, and doesn't restock. Neither system is perfect, but I think TRU (especially recently) gives you more of a fighting chance to to find what you're looking for then any other Minimate outlet, outside preordering from online retailers, of course.

All I know is that it's a lot easier for me to find new Minimates from one non-specialty retailer then it is DC Universe Classics and Marvel Universe figures from three, so I bristle a bit when people complain. I think we've got it a lot better then people realize.

Sorry to break the chain of woes guys, but guess who just found this wave?

Well most of it anyway. Seems like there's a huge fanbase for Magick and Warlock in Burbank. Meanwhile, I'm SUPER stoked to have Cannonball and Shatterstar.

I also checked the TRU in Glendale, CA to no avail. Just rows and rows of Mr Fantastics.

Sorry to break the chain of woes guys, but guess who just found this wave?

Well most of it anyway. Seems like there's a huge fanbase for Magick and Warlock in Burbank. Meanwhile, I'm SUPER stoked to have Cannonball and Shatterstar.

I also checked the TRU in Glendale, CA to no avail. Just rows and rows of Mr Fantastics.

I'm sure it's the same reason why I want to find 2 of them as most people want to be able to have a Doug to pall around with the team.

I'm being patient and waiting a week to look again at my tru, but I keep checking the web every morning hoping these come back in stock. Thee FF wave was so easy to purchase, I don't know why this one was shorted so much.

There has been very little in the way of rhyme or reason regarding these packs showing up online. Sometimes, entire waves are skipped altogether.

However, the FF wave probably wasn't very popular with more serious collectors, since existing FF figures already existed. More folks could have loaded up on these, since they are new characters we probably aren't gonna see again elsewhere.

Having said that, I've seen plenty of FF figures at TRU during my nightmarish Christmas trips to TRU. So, I'm cautiously optimistic I'll run across these at some point. Assuming I find the time to actually get over there anytime soon.

I'm also wondering if TRU ordered more heavily on the FF Wave 8 because it was their first exclusive "full wave", meaning none of the Minimates showed up in other LCS waves. If they ordered more than usual numbers, that could explain why we are still seeing them everywhere.

Although, if TRU is seeing that Wave 8 didn't sell as many as they thought it would, maybe that also means they cut back on the number of Wave 9 ordered?

Just speculation, does anyone know what the actual case count was on previous TRU waves?

I don't think anyone knows how many of any TRU wave are out there, apart from TRU and DST (all we got was the generic--"there are more TRU chases than comic shop chases" line from DST awhile back).

As for over-ordering the FF wave, I can imagine it, but more because it is a wave that would more strongly appeal to casual shoppers than a New Mutants wave would.

However, I don't get the impression that any of these TRU Marvel waves have been any more common or rare than any other recently.

Edited by karamazov80

I think I was one of the first to see this wave, they hit Philly a few week or two before Christmas. I regularly check 4 TRUs, one everyday that's down the street from my house. One got them before Christmas and I missed the Cannonball and Warlock sets. 2 of them got them right before new years, when I managed to actually get a Cannonball set. The one by me has never stocked these.

I'm wondering if I could have already missed them. I typically have no trouble getting any Minimates with a little diligence, but this wave has been a real pain. I also missed the TRU.com listing by like...an hour. I'm getting really frustrated looking for these.

Oh, first post, so hi.

I'm wondering if I could have already missed them. I typically have no trouble getting any Minimates with a little diligence, but this wave has been a real pain. I also missed the TRU.com listing by like...an hour. I'm getting really frustrated looking for these.

Cut_It_Out.gif