UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Go Saints!!!

Shanester

^^ What he said.

Nah, I'm still too traumatized from 25 years of being a Saints fan than to get overly optimistic. I do predict the Saints will win at least 6 games this year, however. :buttrock:

Edited by karamazov80

Minnesota really has the look of a team so desperate to win they're liable to fall apart. I do think the Saints will struggle a bit relative to last year (I just can't imagine that they'll be as hungry as last year, and I think Atlanta's going to make a leap up), but they're still a strong team. Neither team was great tonight, though.

If anyone's interested in wading through my blatant Eagles bias, you can read my NFL predictions at my blog:

http://dinosaursinf14s.blogspot.com/2010/0...-could-not.html

I know that the consensus view was that last night was a sloppy, inconsistently played game--and it was--but one thing that might get lost in the shuffle is that the Saints held a very good, albeit sloppy offense, to 9 points. It didn't take Brett Favre to find a new go-to receiver, and Adrian Peterson was playing as solid as could be expected (with no fumbles!). Plus, keep in mind that Hartley missed 2 field goals, one of which very makable, which would have put the Saints score at 20.

Despite the fact that I don't build up crazy expectations for my team, I do think that the Saints offense has all the parts it had last year. The major problem in the first half was Payton's play-calling. I think there were 2 runs? What the hell? That was the kind of thing that got us into trouble in the 2007 and 2008 seasons--freaking out and getting away from a balanced offensive game plan. Hopefully this won't persist and the Saints will play like they did last year. Like I said before, our special teams needs work, particularly Hartley, but I think the defense was the nicest thing about last night. Unlike last year where we had to put up lots of points and cause turnovers to usually win, we played solid defense, only really playing completely shoddy defense on one drive. This gives me great hope for my team, despite the lack-luster offensive and special teams performances.

Edited by karamazov80

Another issue with the "new NFL" is that nobody is real loyal to a team anymore. Once a team wins a Super Bowl, they tend to get carved up by free agency and contract lapses.

The Saints still have the majority of their stars and even have a few new ones that I am excited about.

The run game was non-existent last night, but I think it was a strategic choice. Minnesota's rushing defense is much better than their passing defense.

The run game was non-existent last night, but I think it was a strategic choice. Minnesota's rushing defense is much better than their passing defense.

I heard Brees talk about it after the game, and he said that they felt so good after the first drive that they wanted to stay with it, etc., so it may have been an on-the-fly type thing. But their first few run attempts weren't very successful because, as you say, Minnesota's rushing defense is so good. And I can understand a gameplan that stresses the pass vs. the run. But to have, like 2 rushes out of the first 25 plays or whatever it was. Unacceptable, IMO. I felt like I was playing my old roommate in Madden. He never ran the ball, and I usually beat him because of it.

As for loyalty, only the fans are loyal. Players and coaches go where the money is because management aren't loyal to them unless they can bring in the fans and the money. And Benson, of course, is only loyal to his own pocketbook, basically blackmailing the state with threats to leave, etc. I don't have a problem with people going where they are most wanted, but the short-sightedness of management in the professional and collegiate sports ranks is very disconcerting to me (if you don't win in 3 years, you're out, etc.).

• 3 weeks later...
I know Hartley was a hero in the playoffs last year, but that miss was inexcusable. Might as well keep John Carney if you're gonna hold on to a guy who can't make a glorified extra point to win the game.

^Yepp :angry:

• 2 months later...

Well, Saints are still in it! If they win one of the next two games, they should be in the playoffs. Not a foregone conclusion, but I think it is gonna happen.

Someone on the SSF boards made me a very cool Saints signature. Don't know all the details re: signature rules, and I don't want TBT! to come after me for being 3 pixels too large or something :lol: , so I'll just post it here:

post-1827-1292872832_thumb.jpg

Don't know all the details re: signature rules, and I don't want TBT! to come after me for being 3 pixels too large or something :lol:

How about I come after you off for not reading the guidelines where the "details" are instead then.

:teehee:

-The maximum size of images allowed in a signature is 600x150 pixels, 50kb.

Actually that image breaks the Guidelines (More than 50kb) but I can't imagine we'd pull you up for going over the limit by 14kb, feel free to go ahead and add it if you want.

I think the usual rule of thumb is that we let most stuff slide but if someone's sig is glaringly large or annoying we ask people to fix them.

T.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that they're just trying to give good TV....... or the Seahawks got tired of hearing how fast they were going to be put out of the Playoffs.

EDIT: I guess it turns out to be the latter.

Edited by minimadman

Too many injuries (Hargrove and Jenkins were 2 of the very best defenders we had, and both were out--bigger blow than our 2 top RBs being out, IMO), and a failure to tackle on the Saints' part.

Oh, well. Seahawks did what good teams do, and that's attack the weaknesses of the other team. Which today meant playing aggressively against a very inept Saints defense. Oh, well. Good luck to the respective teams of other forum members out there that might still be in the playoffs :)

Caught the highlights of the game and it looked like a pretty intense game. Hopefully if the Hawks make it to the Bowl they don't choke again.