UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dilemma . . .

Nessex

Arhg! Decisions, Decisions. . .

I have just very recently (after a short stint of being unemployed) started working in the Book Shop of the National Library of Australia. It's not the most challenging job in the world, but i am a part of a great institution. The people i work with are wonderful and the hours suit me. The NLA collects every single item published in Australia. Magazines, Books, Periodicals etc . . . It's a really fantastic job with the potential to lead me into better paying and more interesting jobs within the Library itself, or even with it's sister institutions such as the National Portrait Gallery, The National Gallery or the National Film and Sound Archive.

Today i took a meeting with a recruitment agency who are trying to fill a position. The only information i was given before taking the meeting was that a keen interest in comics would be a bonus. It turns out that a Comic shop not too far from me is looking for a new assistant manager. It's a dream job; Working with people who love the stories i love and sharing what i consider to be modern myths and folklore with the public. I'd be with 'my people'.

The recruitment agency seems to think i'd be perfect for the position. The problem is that there isn't much room for upward movement. Once i'm there - my pay would stay the same and the only chance for promotion would be if one of the managers left (which i think is unlikely).

I'm fast approaching 30 and need to be on a career path soonish that allows for all the things i want in my adult life (Travel, home ownership, children, etc . . . )

What do i do?

Do i stay in a good job with the promise of a future career or leave it and follow my dream for a year or two? :confused:

Stick with the Library, trust me. Our love for all that is geek can sometimes blind us to adulthood and making the right decisions. Especially since it sounds like you enjoy the job you currently have, and there is potential to move on to bigger and better. Just think of all the cool new stuff you could buy when you get that really great paying job, instead of just selling it.

BS

The cliche' answer is "follow your dreams." But really, it depends on your personality, and what you really want to do with your life. You only live once, so if you think you will hate the library job, you might want to go the other route. On the other hand, your true dream may end up similar to what I think mine is--getting a house (which we just closed on last month), starting a family (my daughter was just born in April), having real responsibilities, etc. In which case, you might have to make some concessions with your career. My current career isn't ideal, but it pays pretty well, has good benefits, and allows me to provide for my family while allowing money for myself to do what I want. I don't know if the job will get better or not (it is a government position, with lots of potential upward mobility--sounds a bit like your description working for the NLA--but lots of constraints and it is literally a bureaucracy), but for now, I wouldn't feel comfortable working in a less stable job with less pay just because I liked it better. In fact, I had that opportunity to stay on with my previous job, but I just couldn't allow myself to be selfish. But I'm content with my choice for now.

I'm not saying that this is the route you should take, mind you. I'm not even sure if it is the right decision for me, but I do think we have to compromise sometimes in life. Particularly if you do decide that you want the extra responsibilities of a child or children.

Edited by karamazov80

I'd suggest you stay in the library. blacksun and karamazov said all the reasons better than I could have. As much as I myself would like to believe that people who follow their dreams against all odds are richly rewarded...in this world, more often than not, that isn't the case.

My best friend from high school spent 7 1/2 years in college and then dropped out (without a degree-it's a longer story) to work at a comic shop. He's worked there for years making a modest income. He'll turn 36 this next month, has a stay-at-home wife with 3 children. They struggle to get by, but are some of the happiest people you'll meet. I foresee him being there for the rest of his life if he can. If you're one of those special individuals that can be content working in comic shop making a modest living for the rest of your life, then I say go for it. Otherwise, keep moving on.

Nessex

Stick with the future job. use your potential for raises to continue your hobby, and hang out at the store to talk about comics on your down time. A friend of mine works at the local comic book store, assistant manager, nice guy. Barely eeks out a living... 34 lives with his mom. doesnt own a car, but talks comics all day long and is happy, but really has no other opportunities of the LCS closes down...

food for thought

moc847

My inner geek would say go with the comic shop, but my more rational side would say stay where you are. I think I had to make that choice with both options open to me I would stick with the library for the stability. You could always save what you earn and open your own store at a future date if you find that is what you want.

It's a tough decision, no question. All I can offer are more thoughts.

<another personal story>

In my case, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't believe in doing one job for the rest of my life. That's something my parents' generation grew up with. Maybe an ideal, maybe doom. I don't think that it's necessary and I don't think that it's even possible at all regarding the given economic situation. (This by the way is something you should have in mind reading all these thoughts in here: different countries and therefore different social, financial, economic, etc. systems offer/allow different perspectives.) For me, I had a job at a hospital for three years, working as a male nurse (?) in an operating room and later on at a nursing unit (?). It was a good job, I was paid well enough and I had the possibilities to get better paid jobs there. But I also wanted to do something else, wanted to learn, do something more intellectual, to study at a university. So after half a year of thinking about it, I quit my job and enrolled at a university. That ment, no salary at all. In Germany you get about 500 Euro per month as an interest-free loan from our government and studying is free. (One of those moments I'm really glad to live in Germany!) That's still my status and it was the best decision I ever made job/career wise. I don't know what'll happen after finishing my studies, get my degree, start a Ph.D. or whatever. I don't study subjects that'll offer me awesome jobs with huge salaries afterwards. But it still feels right and I'm very pleased with what I have and what I do.

</another personal story>

It's like our wise brother Karamazov said: 'you only live once'. If you feel like the comic shop IS IT and you can also imagine yourself being able to live with the money you earn there, do it. (Maybe a partner with another income will provide enough money so you can afford a house and kids and everything else together.) It's not like you have to do it untill you're 89. There will be possibilities to get a different job later on, just as it happens right now. And maybe after two, three or four years as the residential comic book guy, you feel like you had what you always wanted and reach a certain point in your life where you're satisfied and ready to quit it, start something new again, without the feeling to have missed a chance. Maybe a really good memory of that time will be worth it. (That's pretty idealistic/romantic/misty-eyed/, but what the hell?) If you think, that things beside the job are way more important for you, and the job is more a means to an end, stay with the library job!

(By the way: any chance to open up a comic department in that library?)

Many thanks for all your replies. You've given me a lot to think about.

The pay at the comic shop looks like it would actually be a bit more than i'm earning now at the Library. So right now - it's more about happiness within the job vs future prospects.

I've decided that i'll at least take the final interview and see how i feel about the place once i meet with the staff. I think gut feelings play a big part in knowing what the right path to take is.

I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes.

Thanks again for giving me so much to consider. I really do appreciate the input everyone has given :)

Nessex, as someone who is in a similar situation, let me give you my thoughts.

I'm 34 and have been working at my current job for 7 years. When I started, we were owned by ADP, one of the largest payroll processing companies, if not the largest. I loved the company and saw myself retiring from ADP. It was full of opportunites for advancement and was a stability that I had never experienced before. The only time in my IT-based career that I've ever been given a legitimate "Christmas Bonus", it was with ADP.

3 years later, my division was sold. I am now in a dead-end job with no possibility for advancement. Our company is very successful (45 cents of every dollar is profit) and our stock value continues to increase, but in the 4 years I've been with this new regime, not once have they given anything back to the people. In fact, we are told to work harder and expect additional responsibilites while positions continue to be eliminated. When our division was sold, we had around 2000 employees in North America, I think we are somewhere around 800 now. Meanwhile, our CEO continues to cash out millions of dollars of stock every month! Even though our company is successful, due to the current US economy, mgmt tells us to "be happy we still have a job". It's frustrating to see how such a great organization with a future has turned into something like this.

My dilemma is that while I am unhappy, I am still making good money, and my wife and I just had our first child. There is nothing I would love more than to quit this job and work somewhere doing something I would enjoy for a company I would enjoy working for. At this point, stocking shelves at a grocery store would be enjoyable, maybe not forever, but just for a few years to clear my head.

I say you're young, you've got plenty of time correct your career path mistakes. If you are in a situtation where you can work at a job you enjoy, even if just for a few years, jump at the opportunity. You never know when that 'stable job with a future' could change at a moment's notice. And who knows, that 'fun job' may turn out to be something more or could lead to another job, you never know what kinds of friends and contacts you may make.

That's my 2 cents. B)

Tough choice and all good advice from the previous comments! Only suggestion I would give is don't choose on the spot; take a little bit of time before you choose. Think some more on your pros & cons for both paths, from that you might be able to determine which direction will suit you better for now and the future. Good luck!

I would for the most part agree with youbastards. In my experience, once the economy falls, corporations dont give a half a shit about employees. I was also in a position where a company was doing well, 2-3 raises per year, christmas bonuses, etc...it was great. although no room for advancment. but I didnt really care at that point with all the other added bonuses. but once the economy fell, our company killed all that and laid off 2/3 of the workforce. I managed to stay until the 3rd rounds of cuts. but the year prior to my terminiation was pure hell. way to many closed door meeting, too many layoffs, to much secret crap going on. all to preserve the company and nothing for the employee. I have gone though this situation a few times with different companies. so basically what I am saying is that your employment and career will change multiple times throughout your life. its a rarityyou will stay with a company for an extended period of time. The 50's are gone and so is employee loyalty. fend for yourself. I say go do something you'll like and are interested in. who knows where it will take you later in life. after all there is no garuntee the library job wont fall flat.

good luck.

I'll give you my experience in this type of matter.

I was working as a supervisor at a coffee shop. I had the chance to work at my dream job. A game tester for Square-Enix. I took the job. It was absolute hell. COmpletely NOT what I envisioned it to be. I was in the video game business for about 5 years, and now I'm laid off. So I would stick with the job that has a future in it.

just my experience.

I'll just say that I settled for the company I'm in and have been here for 12 years. We have some of (if not the best) benefits of any company in Indiana, great bonuses, great working conditions and I've advanced my career to a nice position. Plus, we just started distributing Marvel books, which is just the cherry on top of it all. I say this not to rub it in anyone's faces, but to say that my job didn't start out at all like it is now (quite the opposite in many facets), but has come to be one of the greatest opportunities I could ever have. So, sometimes choosing the wiser choice can end far, far better than you can imagine it could be right now. Or it can totally suck.

Man, I'd hate to be in your shoes right now.

OK, everybody's been commenting with some pretty good advice. Here's another bit from me:

Go with what makes you happy. :) Sure, you could be making more somewhere else, but if you're miserable who really cares how much you make/have/can afford to spend?

The boyfriend works long hours, has major responsibility & makes pretty good money -- but doesn't like his job (tho he is very, very good at it). He comes home unhappy & some weeks we see each other very little. But he's an oldskool "man" (meaning it's his deal to take care of me/us & "bring home the bacon") & believes this is what he must do.

Me on the other hand, I pick jobs doing things I like. The money may not be the best, but it pays the bills & it makes me happy. Life is short & it's silly to be unhappy if you can help it. :)

• 1 month later...

Well - the decision has been made.

I'm staying with the Library. Recently, the award (our payment agreement in the Oz Government) went up. . . . quite significantly. It's not like i'm rolling in it, but it's enough to keep me off the streets. It was also enough to make me want to not give up my stable job here for a dream job that probably didn't have much room for upward movement.

It was a tough choice. I would always love to be able to say i worked in a Comic Book Shop. . . But i think the cultural institutions of Australia are where i want my future to lead.

Thankyou for sharing your personal stories and advice with me. It really helped me to make up my mind in the end. :thumbsup: