UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Mattel's got Attitubes

MisterPL

The Leech one looks kinda cool, but i definitely wont be buying these . . . even if they DO make marvel ones. I'm a bit sick of 'designer vinyl'.

I'm sure someone would like these - but they aren't for me.

Hey, don't hate on the designer toy world because of this stuff, that's like blaming Minimates for Shockinis! :P

I like Muggs, but all this stuff is trying to capitalize on a trend that is kind of inherently incompatible with mass market toy sales. What makes real designer toys so great is that, a) the designer has no need to secure more than a handful of customers, and b ) they have no corporation or license owner to answer to -- so he/she is freed up to do whatever he/she wants, and can produce some crazy cool toys. (It also means if they produce something crap, they can probably still sell it to enough people that it won't bankrupt them.) Mass market, licensed toys, on the other hand, need to appeal to thousands of people to make back production/licensing costs and turn enough profit to please the company. If they're trying to tap into the designer toy market with these "designer" lines, they're going to find a large portion of it uninterested in buying "toys" instead of "art"; and if they're trying get hipster cred within the mass market, they're going to find a large portion of it uninterested in "weird" looking toy platforms (even Minimates still get this reaction from plenty of collectors on other toy websites). So it's always seemed a bit unlikely to me that they'd be able to sustain sales, beyond the initial novelty bump, with any of these lines in the long run, although I have liked the short-term benefit of getting some cool Muggs and a Hellboy Mez-it to hang out with the Dunnys on my shelf, so...

This rambling rant was brought to you by: insomnia :thumbsup:

Edited by battlecat