UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New SDCC Set - 90's X-Men!

boyd

That was a letdown!

Magneto: a fresh take, but let's be honest- it wasn't his finest fashion moment!

Bishop: I'm confused by all the Bishop love. I've been re-watching the old 90s series (on volume 2) with my daughter and Bishop was a pretty lame character IMO.

Jubilee: the outfit just looks bland and the tampo'd sunglasses are the nail in the coffin. Those glasses are her trademark and deserved more attention. She rarely wore them over her eyes anyway!

...and Wolverine? :sick:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to say, I'm kind of surprised at the lack of interest here. I really like the set, personally. I don't think we need all kinds of newly sculpted pieces to make a good Minimate. Colorful, cool-looking characters (minus Wolvie), and the much begged for Jubilee. Honestly, I think this is the best SDCC set announced thus far this year.

I've got to say, I'm kind of surprised at the lack of interest here. I really like the set, personally. I don't think we need all kinds of newly sculpted pieces to make a good Minimate. Colorful, cool-looking characters (minus Wolvie), and the much begged for Jubilee. Honestly, I think this is the best SDCC set announced thus far this year.

I'm right there with you, 'Zov. :) 90s X-men are my heritage and the cartoon is what got me into superheros in the first place. I LOVE this set. It just lacks a bit like with Jubilee's glasses and a few reuses that could be better.

Is it just me or do we think there may be a few cut costs for some really kick-ass accessories??? Jubes' fireworks, Bishop's guns/psyonic blasts, Magneto's shackles, MAYBE another torso for Logan...i hope...I don't think we've seen it all yet.

But i do love this set; it's the best so far.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Mixed bag.

Bishop and Jubilee are welcome additions. Proto pics usually aren't as good as the actual product so there is still hope for improvement.

I've never seen that Magneto costume before and into the parts box he will go with wolverine.

I can see why they aren't putting a new Brown Costume Wolverine in a SDCC exclusive. It should be a good seller and makes more sense to be released in a standard wave.

So after this we'll have almost all the 90's X-Men can we get some X-Men Villains???

I must say im pretty excited after begging fo jubilee for so long and being shot down so much over and over we got her and Bishop in one pack that is awsome and Bishop looks pretty good overall, Im hoping theres going to be a couple tweeks before the end with the two but overall we got them and that means somthin within itself so im excited!

removable glasses for jubilee that fit on a hair piece would be over the top and a scarf being removable on Bishop would just be killer -so these being early shots ill hope this will happen for the two, but overall im going to have to get a few of these sets for sure

think i'll skip this set, and wait until we get a Jubilee that isn't rubbish

same for Bishop

good luck on your wait...it is going to be a while

moc847

you have called my bluff... indeed i do intend to get this set

as has been pointed out, these will certainly look a lot better for the final product, the Bishop scarf is a real cop-out, but i can't believe for one second we won't get a non-shades Jubilee face as well. If not, theres plenty of existing faces that could be a passable replacement.

no interest in the other two

This whole set is bland.

Magneto- That M stands for meh.

Bishop- His handkerchief should have been an actual removable neck piece. He should have his large rifle holstered on his back.

Wolverine- Shirtless Logan... why? to recreate love scenes with 90s Jean Grey.

Jubilee- Her glasses should be attached to the hair (Cyclops style) with an alternate hair piece which shows off her face not some painted on glasses. Her shirt needs more detail (shading, wrinkles).

That Wolverine drives me up the blankety-blank wall.

GAH! I think I'd prefer an empty slot where a 4th figure should go and them just leave that figure out all together.

Seriously... a non battle damaged update of the tan costume would've been so much better.

The other figures look pretty good. I'm quite pleased with the selections... but don't know how I feel about all the painted-on stuff/re-used hair for Jubilee and Bishop.

Edited by Mystery Man

I am all in for this one....they all come from my glory days of reading x-men 200-300ish and that wolvy can recreate the nailed to the X scene perfectly...which is also in the first appearance of Jubilee too

Jeff of the Miniacs

D@mn. I'm two for two:

DSCN3599.jpgDSCN2542.jpg

I usually like retiring my customs in favor of the official releases. However, these are staying right where they are on my shelf. undecided.gif

Your Domino is sickness, leaps & bounds better than what DST has shown. And I wanted this set until I saw your Jubilee custom.

BS

I'm happy to see a 90s Jubilee and Bishop as it brings us two more steps closer to a complete 90s X-Men (though a 90s Colossus, Forge, and 90s Banshee would fully complete it I feel)

I do hope these proto-type pictures are just that...prototypes.

As I recall the X-Force Cable shown in prototype form was missing it's chest details as well before the actual version we all got had the tampos actually on him. So for Jubillee, hopefully that will be the same.

I also do agree that Jubilee and Bishop deserve their own unique hairstyles rather then reuses. Jubilee most of the time seemed to have her glasses atop her head. Bishop of course needs a mullet, but also it would look much better if he had a sculpted handkerchief.

I mean come on DST/AA, you gave Cable sculpted gear up the butt (the first 90s X-Force one), a handkerchief can't possibly break the bank for you can it? I'm sure you could get some reuse out of it somewhere down the line again too.

As far as the other two mates... I agree that we should have gotten an updated brown costume WOlverine instead of a battle-damaged one since he did wear the brown costume briefly in the 90s Jim Lee X-Men comics before they switched it back to the yellow.

Magneto is from the 80s...so calling this a 90s X-Men boxset is a bit odd if that's it's offical title or anything. A Forge, Banshee, or new Colossus would make more sense and save Mags for an 80s X-Men set or something.

Edited by MST3KFan

well said

I'm happy to see a 90s Jubilee and Bishop as it brings us two more steps closer to a complete 90s X-Men (though a 90s Colossus, Forge, and 90s Banshee would fully complete it I feel)

I do hope these proto-type pictures are just that...prototypes.

As I recall the X-Force Cable shown in prototype form was missing it's chest details as well before the actual version we all got had the tampos actually on him. So for Jubillee, hopefully that will be the same.

I also do agree that Jubilee and Bishop deserve their own unique hairstyles rather then reuses. Jubilee most of the time seemed to have her glasses atop her head. Bishop of course needs a mullet, but also it would look much better if he had a sculpted handkerchief.

I mean come on DST/AA, you gave Cable sculpted gear up the butt (the first 90s X-Force one), a handkerchief can't possibly break the bank for you can it? I'm sure you could get some reuse out of it somewhere down the line again too.

As far as the other two mates... I agree that we should have gotten an updated brown costume WOlverine instead of a battle-damaged one since he did wear the brown costume briefly in the 90s Jim Lee X-Men comics before they switched it back to the yellow.

Magneto is from the 80s...so calling this a 90s X-Men boxset is a bit odd if that's it's offical title or anything. A Forge, Banshee, or new Colossus would make more sense and save Mags for an 80s X-Men set or something.

I think this is a pretty cool set. I might buy the Bishop off eBay after the set has been out for a while as I don't like to double up on characters.

I like this a ton better than the Liefeld set.

I hope there is more to come, maybe a current set.

Bishop: I'm confused by all the Bishop love. I've been re-watching the old 90s series (on volume 2) with my daughter and Bishop was a pretty lame character IMO.

As a fairly huge X-Men fan, who like many, was introduced to them during the 90s, I'd like to comment on this...

Bishop has been very hit and miss for me over the years... there have been times when I'd completely agree with you... other times I've really liked him. It's actually kind of vexing. I wish his personality was a little more consistant.

During the 90s (cartoon or comics) I never really liked him. He always seemed like a douche. Never quite trusted anyone, always giving Gambit the stinkeye... same shtick as Cable, time traveler with big guns...

I really liked him while Chris Claremont was writing him for a few years, during Xtreme X-Men, when he was using his expertise and training from the future to find solutions for any given situation, and when he and Sage had a buddy-buddy partner thing going on.

More recently however, I'm back to hating him... Marvel has more or less been completely F'ing him up again ever since Messiah Complex started and he went all crazy "blah, I gotta kill Hope" I really liked those years when he finally wasn't a crazy guy from the future who didn't trust the other X-Men, but apparently Marvel wanted to pull his character back there, in some attempt to return him to his roots...

In any event yeah, I find him hit and miss. Sometimes I like him, sometims I don't. Right now I don't.

I'm still glad to get his 90s look though, since its the first look I ever saw him in, and thus, stands out as most definative in my mind.

D@mn. I'm two for two:

DSCN3599.jpgDSCN2542.jpg

I usually like retiring my customs in favor of the official releases. However, these are staying right where they are on my shelf. undecided.gif

Your Domino is sickness, leaps & bounds better than what DST has shown. And I wanted this set until I saw your Jubilee custom.

BS

I agree. That Jubilee, especially, is fantastic!

I guess everything I was gonna say about this set (Bishop's neckerchief, Jubilee's shades) has been said already.

On the one hand, I am somewhat disappointed in this new Bishop. Here I was hoping to be able to replace my wave 11 Bishop with hopefully a more detailed update, and it turns out the update is practically as conservative on detail as the old one was.

Just my two cents guys, but do you think this skimping out on the detail may have something to do with DST paying attention to our complaints about how "over-detailed" recent Minimate releases (i.e. the Iron Man 2 armors) have been lately? Sure, they may have over-compensated on the detail restraint but I think this may have been no coincidence given all that bitching and whining we've made about excessive sculpting and detail lately.

On the other hand, I love how much DST "denied" the possibility of releasing Jubilee in the Q&As only for them to drop this happy little bombshell on us in an SDCC exclusive reveal :D At least they still haven't completely lost the ability to mess with their fandom's heads.

I guess everything I was gonna say about this set (Bishop's neckerchief, Jubilee's shades) has been said already.

On the one hand, I am somewhat disappointed in this new Bishop. Here I was hoping to be able to replace my wave 11 Bishop with hopefully a more detailed update, and it turns out the update is practically as conservative on detail as the old one was.

Just my two cents guys, but do you think this skimping out on the detail may have something to do with DST paying attention to our complaints about how "over-detailed" recent Minimate releases (i.e. the Iron Man 2 armors) have been lately? Sure, they may have over-compensated on the detail restraint but I think this may have been no coincidence given all that bitching and whining we've made about excessive sculpting and detail lately.

On the other hand, I love how much DST "denied" the possibility of releasing Jubilee in the Q&As only for them to drop this happy little bombshell on us in an SDCC exclusive reveal :D At least they still haven't completely lost the ability to mess with their fandom's heads.

I'm excited to complete the rest of the 90s X-Men. I like your theory. Another possibility is that they put all their "unique" parts budget into Iron Man 2 stuff and so everything else suffers and have to be cheapened like Jubilee's glasses or Bishop's scarf...or the details on Captain Britain, the lack of quality control on the Spider-Man Friends and Foes, etc etc. It looks like certain waves like the Iron Man 2 stuff get more attention and $$$ then everything else, which is a shame.

Edited by Chronotrigger

I'm excited to complete the rest of the 90s X-Men. I like your theory. Another possibility is that they put all their "unique" parts budget into Iron Man 2 stuff and so everything else suffers and have to be cheapened like Jubilee's glasses or Bishop's scarf...or the details on Captain Britain, the lack of quality control on the Spider-Man Friends and Foes, etc etc. It looks like certain waves like the Iron Man 2 stuff get more attention and $$$ then everything else, which is a shame.

If it is because of the Iron Man 2 minimates that the others have to suffer, I'd rather not have Marvel movie minimates as aside from a few of the Iron Man mates, I've avoided the movie related stuff whenever released.

I'm sure there's reasoning behind them, more money maybe being given by the higher ups to make these or something, but really... I actually was liking the insane amounts of stuff we were getting in Marvel Minimates with details. I look back on the older minimates and just think they look too plain now... Comparing Ultimate Wolverine to one of the more modern ones for example, or the first yellow costume Wolvy to the most recent made one...

I know there's the arguement of having less detailing versus having all sorts, but to me, less detailing makes them almost just pumped up LEGOs. I like that Cable has his huge shoulderpads or Deadpool comes with a ton of weapons, and even the way more detailed hairpieces being given to the characters now. It makes these things look way more awesome and 'pop' more to the eye unlike something like Mighty Muggs or Mez-its...or worse Blammoids...