UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Steve Rogers and his comic future

NorthRaider

Well... so much for my theory about his running the Inititive/Academy. And Steve with a 9mm... Gru's chaffing himself spinning in his grave.

We'll look back on this fondly, as just another wacky Marvel gimmick. People will remember this about as well as they remember Cap's time as Nomad or the Captain.

Bucky is not Captain America, and never will be. Figure Rogers will revert back to the role prior to the movie being released.

Yeah, I'm not real thrilled with the gun, either. Or the lack of a shield (that's his trademark, dammit! Even when he was Nomad, he had the little discus to use!) But the worst part is the costume - a bad combination of soldier with super-hero, being both generic and ugly.

I share your concerns, NorthRaider. I'd hate to see that character take a step backwards. But I really like the rest of the roster.

I like the costume, even if it is a little generic, and don't have a problem with a gun. I don't want to see Steve shooting people left and right, but he is a soldier and having a sidearm seems appropriate.

Interesting. I wonder if DC is going to do a similar thing with Batman...

I also wonder how this is going to track with the Captain America movie. It seems pretty much a given that they'll get back to the "Steve Rogers is Captain America" status quo by that time. Perhaps after another year or two as "the" Cap, Bucky will get killed in the line of duty (again), and Steve will take the Cap identity back up to honor him?

As it stands, I do respect Marvel for not just writing Bucky off immediately as a casualty of a publicity stunt. He's been a good, although different, kind of Cap, and I've enjoyed his character development. It's good of them to let him keep the chops he's earned, if only for a while longer. And I think Steve as a super spy character could be fun.

Edited by Lobsterman

Oh, look what else Steve will be doing then.

Personally I am concerned about

how the Secret Avengers reveal might affect Nova's series

You should probably be more concerned with what Loeb will do to Nove once he takes on the writing duties. ;)

As for Cap, I'm sure things will revert to Bucky/Winter Soldier being the spy and Steve being the hero but I'm sure thay'll wait for people to get tired of Brubaker first.

Edited by BudPalmer

Ugh...i really wanted to see Bucky shipped off the title and Steve take his mantle back; hell, them having it out over for a few panels and one storming off would have been fantastic. Ya know, personally i was hoping he'd become some variation of his Winter Soldier identity, obviously for America/SHIELD (once Normie's gone), and work with Black Widow in her newbook. THAT wold have been the bee's knees to me...but this is just...whoooo boy...

I HATE his design...nothing eye-appealling in the slightest, and it looks like a failed 90s Liefeld creation without the pockets...a gun?? Since Steve and Batman are pretty much the same person in both titles nowadays, inluding the Rebirths (and stupid/ironic deaths...), i'll make the comparrisson...there are established REASONS why both characters will NEVER use guns...and now because he's "Secret" it's okay?? Because he isn't Cap it's okay?? Steve isn't the full-on "Ima shoot jer face off now, kthnxbai??" type. He's strategic, and knows how to play his scenarios and defenses...

Speaking of defense.....where the hell is the Shield?!?!?! I am not expecting ANYTHING from Marvel on this one...so many directions that could have been taken, and this is a really bad call...

It is no secret cap is my favorite hero. and for some reason I kind of dig this.

The new costume is kind of a spy / superman / cap throw back....I can see him leaving the shield behind for a while.

I can only hope and pray that they make a minimate of him...can not have enough steve rogers!!

moc847

It is no secret cap is my favorite hero. and for some reason I kind of dig this.

The new costume is kind of a spy / superman / cap throw back....I can see him leaving the shield behind for a while.

I can only hope and pray that they make a minimate of him...can not have enough steve rogers!!

moc847

Yeah, for some strange reason I completly agree, I was pleasantly surprised reading 'who will wield the shield' and despite my original misgivings i can see bucky growing into the cap role, kinda like dick grayson, its something that they've both had to live with, bieng in the shadow of a greater man and with steve off doing his super soldier stuff then game on to Bucky

as for the minimate.....hell yeah and we all seem to be forgetting who cap is ...super SOLDIER, soldiers carry guns, steve rodgers although he is captain america is also a soldier....bring on the new title

I'm not going to delve too deeply into the dangerous realm of politics but Steve Rogers fighting Germans Nazis nearly 70 years ago is one thing but who is he going to be fighting as the Super Soldier these days??? I can guess ......& I'm not sure if that's healthy. Like it or not 'Steve' Captain America's views on America's politics have been somewhat 'confused' over the last few years so ...again....who is he going up against ? .....'terrorists' is the fashionable word ....so perhaps it'll be 'terrorists' from that vague area known as the 'Middle-East' & 'Western Asia' . Steve Rogers- Super Soldier has surely learned something over the years fighting for 'freedom' surely he's not going to be manipulated into fighting covertly ...out of the public-eye......whilst someone else is being Captain America? I love Bucky as Cap but I can't help feeling a tad insecure that he was also a trained killer for the Russians Communists a short while back .

My guess ? This is going to end up with Steve fighting Bucky to the bitter end ....Cap fighting Cap .......America fighting America.

These are comic-books .....just comic-books.....but when the titles are 'Captain America' & 'Steve Rogers-Super Soldier etc. etc.' ....their content takes on a different mantle ...their writers know that......it is intentional & often subliminal. I personally hope that they are very careful with this title.

Edited by buttheadsmate

This report from C2E2 says he will be fighting "foreign powers and international corporations." I don't think, for good or ill, that we'll be seeing Steve taking the fight to any terrorists.

I'd be up for a 'mate of this costume. Heck, I'd buy a Secret Avengers box set.

I'll stick to forum guidelines (re politics) but I'll just add that Mr.Obama now calls Mr.Bush's 'War on Terror' ......the 'Overseas Contingency Operation'.....this entails fighting foreign powers harbouring & promoting terrorism. Any war your country or mine is fighting is fought on this premise.

........ says he will be fighting "foreign powers and international corporations."

Perhaps I might be wrong on the 'terrorist harbouring foreign powers' ........maybe Steve's just going to fight Mc.Donalds , Coca-Cola & Toyota.

Perhaps I might be wrong on the 'terrorist harbouring foreign powers' ........maybe Steve's just going to fight Mc.Donalds , Coca-Cola & Toyota.

Steve Rogers fighting Ronald McDonald - I would pay good cash money to read this comic book.

North Korea is a "rogue" (or "rouge") state he could fight against covertly. Possibly Iran, though that may not sit well with some of our non-U.S.-based members. Not many of those left, I suppose.

As for the MNC's, I guess he's gonna blow up sweatshops hiring underage children and strategically assassinate stock brokers who reinforce bad behavior?

The politics stuff is always ham-fisted and simplistic in funny books, but that doesn't really bother me. If people get offended, then they will, but all I care about is a good story. . .and avoiding stupid gimmicks like "killing" off Batman or trying to make Bucky Captain America.

Edited by karamazov80

Well, aside from Steve's silly new suit (which I predict will have the recently 'rediscovered' energy shield), I actually like the "Secret Avengers" line up. Nova earned a slot on the Avengers a long time ago. I'm curious which Valkerie this will be, Brunhila, or Samm Penington. And hey, Beast back with the A team is always, always welcome.

BHM I really hope you are not right. I think that Brubaker and co has spent way too much time developing Bucky from sidekick to Winter Soldier and now Cap to just throw it away. Cap is my favorite Marvel character and I like the new direction that he is going in not to mention that Brubaker has such a grasp on the character that I can trust that he knows what he is doing.

I'm curious to see how this goes, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. I have no doubt one way or another Steve Rogers will become Captain America again one day, but if they want to get their money's worth out of Bucky as Captain America before they return the status quo I can't blame them for that, it's better than the way they handle each "shocking new revelation or twist!!" in the Spider-man titles, where they don't even have time to let it breathe before they're off to the next moronic idea.

As far as the Secret Avengers go, these lineups are starting to really get weak. There seems to be no reason for some inclusions save for the novelty of it. I'm starting to really suspect that they just draw names out of a hat every year before they do these new teams. The fact that they change the team every year or so is bad enough, because there's so little time to establish the team and why they're all there. I'm not complaining just to complain, they're the writers so they can do whatever they want, I'm just looking at it from a logic standpoint at what is best for the titles in the long run.

I'd definitely buy a 'mate of this look for Steve Rogers though. Package him with Baron von Strucker and we're in business.