UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Is everyone here completists?

magicmilner

I started in again with Deadpool... and then it became Deadpool and everyone he's ever had a buddy comic with. After that I got into the Thunderbolts comics pretty heavy so I went after those... That being said, I am like Joe Hill in that I don't like to have more than one version of the same character.

And just out of curiousity... for those of you missing very little... which are you missing?

Edited by Killek

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This question can be tricky though. I like to think I am a thorough completist, while others I think are partial completists. Let me ask you some questions to explain my point.

If you have the Giant-size box set Classic Colossus, do you also have the Target wave D variation with C3 feet?

If you have the wave 28 Wolverine, do you also have the TRU wave 3 variation with a different colored belt?

If you have the AFX web armor Spider-Man, do you have the TRU wave 3 variation with a complete silver paint job?

If you have the wave 6 New X-Men Wolverine, do you have the Darktide box set version with different face and C3 feet?

If you have the wave 10 Spider-Woman, do you have the Target wave E version with the different face?

If you have the wave 6 Ghost Rider, do you have the TRU box set variation with different colored flame hair?

If you have the wave 25 AIM agent, do you have the TRU wave version with the blue blaster?

These are just some of the figures in the Marvel minimates universe that have slight variations and versions. IMO if you collect all of the variations and versions then you are a thorough completist, if not you are a partial completist.

I'm almost a completist when it comes to Marvel and DC I guess you would say. I am not into slight variations. I have almost all the Marvel mates with the exception of the movie stuff and ultimate X-Men. I'm also missing a few exclusives and for some reason I never got either Electra (reg or exc) or Kingpin. I have all the DC Direct mates and some C3 but not all. The other mates really don't interest me that much. I have Slimer and Stay Puft and I have a few cylons and terminators.....thats pretty much it.

I know what you are getting at, but "partial completist" just sounds so stupidly funny :)

lol…I agree it sounds funny Danny, but instead of just flat out saying, “if you don’t get all of the versions and variations you are not a completist,” I wanted to give credit to those collectors that get the majority of these, but do not worry about the many side variations. Hence, I don’t offend anyone or ruffle their feathers because they think they are completists. (when really they are not ;) )

This question can be tricky though. I like to think I am a thorough completist, while others I think are partial completists. Let me ask you some questions to explain my point.

If you have the Giant-size box set Classic Colossus, do you also have the Target wave D variation with C3 feet?

If you have the wave 28 Wolverine, do you also have the TRU wave 3 variation with a different colored belt?

If you have the AFX web armor Spider-Man, do you have the TRU wave 3 variation with a complete silver paint job?

If you have the wave 6 New X-Men Wolverine, do you have the Darktide box set version with different face and C3 feet?

If you have the wave 10 Spider-Woman, do you have the Target wave E version with the different face?

If you have the wave 6 Ghost Rider, do you have the TRU box set variation with different colored flame hair?

If you have the wave 25 AIM agent, do you have the TRU wave version with the blue blaster?

These are just some of the figures in the Marvel minimates universe that have slight variations and versions. IMO if you collect all of the variations and versions then you are a thorough completist, if not you are a partial completist.

Please recall that I didn't start this.

Yes to all the above &....

Do you have both Batcaves?

Do you have all the C3 Flyers & Mini Javelin in Spanish Packaging?

Do you have both Darktide sets?

Do you have all the TRU Canadian Variant packaging sets?

Do you have all the Street Fighter Japanese blind box variants?

Do you have Rocky hairpieces? :D

Every promo?

Madness :woot:

Touché BHM.

However, I thought we were only talking about minimates, not sets, and since this was posted in the marvel section, I thought we were only referring to marvel minimates.

With that said, what is this about different C3 batcaves?

What about the different Darktide sets? (are they in Spanish packaging?)

Educate me about this madness!! :D

(as soon as you think you have a clue about the different minimates out there something new always comes up that you did not know)

lol…I agree it sounds funny Danny, but instead of just flat out saying, “if you don’t get all of the versions and variations you are not a completist,” I wanted to give credit to those collectors that get the majority of these, but do not worry about the many side variations. Hence, I don’t offend anyone or ruffle their feathers because they think they are completists. (when really they are not ;) )

But where do you stop? I guess a true completest would have every single gold spidey because they all have different numbers on the bags...

How about "completist" for those who have one of every figure and "extremist" for those who have all the variations of those those mates and packaging ;)

T.

But where do you stop? I guess a true completest would have every single gold spidey because they all have different numbers on the bags...

How about "completist" for those who have one of every figure and "extremist" for those who have all the variations of those those mates and packaging ;)

T.

Ahhh, I like that, extremist!

However, in the end I do not think I will ever "technically" be a either a completist or an extremist, considering if I do ever see a gold or silver Spider-Man on e-bay I will not have the cojones to spend $600 dollars on one. :(

i buy almost all of the marvel 'mates except for the movie related ones, and i have a complete set of dc minimates. i don't have any of the other 'mates, though...

I'm not a completist myself as I have not bought minimates I definitely don't want (Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men), but I do like to fill out teams I like. The 90s X-Men, Avengers, Spidey villains, Fantastic Four...

I'll call myself a Marvel 616 character completist. I don't do movie figures, Marvel or otherwise. That has more to do with finances than anything else. I want one of each character first and foremost, then the costume variations. I could care less whether I have the pre-C3 and/or C3 feet.

I may go completist on the DC stuff someday, when I can better afford it.

I only wish I could be, but where I don't collect any blanks or retailer promos, and I won't ever get some of the holiday mates or a bunch of the old 3" mates and with the buttload of upcoming mates I am gonna have to pick and choose going into the future of my collection. When I have tried to be a completist with other collections it always ends up being an insane frustration or way more than I bargained for so I don't think I will ever call myself that again.

I've given myself a few days off to catch up with my Minimate collection hence my overwhelming load of posts just lately. Today I've been trying to get my head around Ghostbusters TRU waves 1 & 2 were straightforward but Wave 2A created a nightmare of bar code numbers ,name-tag changes ,Slimer variants & dog tags . Yesterday was 'trying to figure out the Wolverine Wave which I've muddled up with the two Wolverine TRU releases ....this isn't easy & is driving me (further) nuts. Another thing I noticed today was the BSG TRU packs don't have anything behind the 'mates inside the box except bare cardboard .....it looked odd until I realised that all Minimates packs would look like this if they didn't have the little leaflet/poster from their respective theme behind them......never really noticed that before.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I am not a completist, and don't want to be. I'll gladly buy the Marvel & Ghostbuster Minimates, but won't really buy anything else unless it really catches my eye or I can use it for customs.

Another thing I noticed today was the BSG TRU packs don't have anything behind the 'mates inside the box except bare cadboard .....it looked odd until I realised that all Minimates packs would look like this if they didn't have the little leaflet/poster from their respective theme behind them......never really noticed that before.

You're not the only one bothered by the bare cardboard behind the BSG packs. Makes them feel cheap to me.

I am not a completist, and don't want to be. I'll gladly buy the Marvel & Ghostbuster Minimates, but won't really buy anything else unless it really catches my eye or I can use it for customs.

Another thing I noticed today was the BSG TRU packs don't have anything behind the 'mates inside the box except bare cadboard .....it looked odd until I realised that all Minimates packs would look like this if they didn't have the little leaflet/poster from their respective theme behind them......never really noticed that before.

You're not the only one bothered by the bare cardboard behind the BSG packs. Makes them feel cheap to me.

I'm glad you can spell cardboard :blush: I thought at first that they were factory faults.

I'm not a completist, my parents would kill me, I only collect the characters that i like, lately not so much, since none of the new marvel really interest me, only a few,like that new spiderman boxset. But also I have to take in consideration money(thanks dcuc), since well life ain't all about toys right?

With Marvel Minimates, I am a completist, although there are a few I have not picked up yet from recent waves. I also have all the DCD Minimates released. Other lines, I have a few, and some lines I have none of.

.......... since well life ain't all about toys right?

No it's not. I just hope that the 'passing reader' doesn't actually take my comments too seriously because although I do try to keep up appearances with my collection I despise elitism & all its paraphernalia. I see pictures of collections here which are posted by their proud owners & just smile from ear to ear...I just love it. Newbies with their 'couple o'dozen ' give me far more pleasure than prattling on about Shopkos ,TRU variants & Wal-Marts. Enjoy the bloody things & leave the completism to the extremists who would dearly love to have..... what you still have :thumbsup:

I am not a completist. I started out just buying characters I liked or knew something about.. Then for about 14 waves I was a completist and needed at least one of everything.. but now with the economy dip I am back to purchasing just the most interesting. :)