UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

It's the frakking Oscars again!!!

NorthRaider

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker (AGH!!! Should have been Avatar or Basterds!!!)

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow The Hurt Locker. (I'd rather it went to Tarantino honestly...)

BOO! Hurt Locker is a such a better movie.

It's on the list now. But I swear the Academy hates big movies everyone cares about. >:(

I don't think that you can say that seeing as you have not seen The Hurt Locker.?!!?

I can say whatever the hell I want. (Sorry if I'm snappy. Bad weekend.) I'm just tired of seeing movies only the Academy and the rare viewer see! It just kind of annoys me... It's almost like popularity automatically makes you ineligible for Best Picture. And something is wrong with that. After all, if you are the biggest movie ever made, you're doing SOMETHING right!!!

It's on the list now. But I swear the Academy hates big movies everyone cares about. >:(

I'd say they got it right.

I have to say that I really didn't care for either Avatar or Basterds as they underwhelmed once you took away the gimmicks.

I literally just watched Hurt Locker and IMO it's a tense powerful movie that drives home how certain people put their life on the line and made me really appreciate how alien that life is to most of us.

T.

I don't think that you can say that seeing as you have not seen The Hurt Locker.?!!?

I can say whatever the hell I want. (Sorry if I'm snappy. Bad weekend.) I'm just tired of seeing movies only the Academy and the rare viewer see! It just kind of annoys me... It's almost like popularity automatically makes you ineligible for Best Picture. And something is wrong with that. After all, if you are the biggest movie ever made, you're doing SOMETHING right!!!

You live very close to a MAJOR US city I don't think that there is a Best Picture nominee that did not play within driving distance of you. TBT! is spot on about the Hurt Locker. I liked Avatar alot but it was not a better film than Hurt Locker.

Yeah I do. And yeah, I could see them. however quite a few I chose not to for various reasons:

Precious because it's insanely outside my genre. And because one facet of its premise made me very angry. However to avoid a firestorm I won't say here. If you want to know, PM me. I'm sure it can be a measured and very calm conversation.

The Hurt Locker because i had no idea what the hell it was about and the theaters near me gave it a VERY limited run. And with the kind of TV I watched and the kind of movies I saw, I never even saw an advertisement for it while there was a chance. I tell you guys that I want to see it. Not very badly, it's not at the top of The List. But I do want to see it.

The Blind Side because I had enough cash for it or D9 and D9 won.

A Serious Man because I kidna didn't realize it existed.

Up in the Air: see A Serious Man.

An Education: An even bigger case of the same problem that plagued Serious Man and Up in the Air.

And really though, just because I profess to love movies, does that mean I have to see every single Academy Award nominee?

Also I will say this one last thing. I reserve the right to say anything I want to say. You reserve the right to prove me wrong. I reserve the right to ignore you.

(Again a apologize. for the fact I'm snippy. But it has been a horrid weekend and I can't form non-snippy phrases right now.)

Edited by Trekker 42

I really enjoyed Avatar a lot, but mainly because of it's visuals and effects. That said I'm really glad they got the well deserved Oscars in those categories and I'm also glad they didn't get the major Oscars, since I think the movie and the story itself was pretty random, predictable and by far not good enough to earn an award. (No offense T42... :( )

I haven't seen the Hurt Locker since I missed it when in NY and I guess it hasn't been screened here in Germany yet, so I can't comment on it or on it's wins.

Best supporting actor for Christoph Waltz is awesome! He really grew in the last six or seven years. When he was younger he did some very cheesy movies here in Germany, but since he's in his early fifties, he started to play some really cool characters mostly in TV series and a few movies where he showed off a very wide repertoire. I'm really happy for him!

The original screenplay for Hurt Locker, again, I don't know that movie, but if that one didn't win it, I was really hoping for A Serious Man to get it.

And I was really surpised that Up In The Air was nominated for so many awards, since I thought it's a really nice movie, but not original and impressive enough to win anything.

And I haven't seen Up yet, and now I have to watch it, since it did beat Fantastic Mr. fox as best animated, and that one was, well, fantastic!

I actually got to watch Hurt locker on DVD last week and I'm so glad that won out over Avatar, don't get me wrong I liked Avatar but once you get past all the flash of it its not a strong film or nothing I haven't seen told before.

Hurt Locker just had me gripping my seat it was that tense. may not have all the bells and whistles but it's to me a better film story wise.

I didn't realize until now that Bigalow directed Near Dark. That's pretty dang cool! A very neat movie to check out if any of you haven't. Has Paxton, Lance Henriksen, and er, Vasquez from Aliens in it, as well as the politician guy from Heroes. And they are all vampires.

I haven't seen the Hurt Locker since I missed it when in NY and I guess it hasn't been screened here in Germany yet, so I can't comment on it or on it's wins.

I am wrong. The movie was released in Germany in August 2009. So why didn't I watch it? Well, of course that was the time when I moved to NY, but I never heared of the movie before. Why? Because in Germany, foreign movies get a "proper" German title. No, not just the translation, I am talking about giving the movie the title it should have had from the beginning! For example, you've heared about Lumet's "Before the Devil Knows you're Dead?" with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke? The title refers to the (I guess it's an) Irish saying "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead". That would be easy to translate into German since we, too, got all those fancy words in our language. You know what it was called here? "Tödliche Entscheidung". You know what it means? "Deadly Decision". :ermm: You seriously want to watch a movie that sounds like the newest van Damme? No, thank you. You know what "The Hurt Locker" is called here? "Tödliches Kommando". :confused: You know what that means? "Deadly Commando". See a pattern? <_<

Edited by Bob Harris

Only having read this thred after ppl smarter then then me have posted. I didnt know the woman from Hurt locker was the was same person from some of my fav movies.

The Loveless (I love bike moves)

Near Dark (Fuck Twilight this is modern vamps as they are too me)

Strange Days (Cyber punk reality that to me can come very close to blade runner)

So... Articles are filtering in about the "real" reason Avatar lost. As you know the most of the Academy voters are actors and the majority of them still don't consider performances done in motion capture and greenscreen completely re-rendered as computer generated characters are legitimate performances. Most put Avatar and UP in the same mental category- nice VO work on a computerized cartoon no matter what James and Co. try to sell them on the future of film. History as always will decide who's right, and the pioneers always take the arrows, but nobody likes to think they can be "replaced by a machine". (a quote from the AP story I read on the Avatar loss) But until the voting actors change their thinking don't look for any effects fests to win an Oscar anytime soon.

I figured it was more because Cameron already had an Oscar for Titanic. The Academy awards are very rarely given based on merit, and a woman directed what was (supposedly) an exceptional film, so now they gave a woman director the award for the first time. Within the next couple years, I'm sure it will be a non-white director winning.

Hey, I'm just passing along the hearsay being passed around the Hollywood "insider" colunmist who in turn are passing along what was allegedly being spouted at after parties. Apparently people were feeling the need to justify voting against Avatar more than spouting the mertis of Hurt Locker.

I have not seen either movie, and thus have no horse in this race.