UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

It's the frakking Oscars again!!!

NorthRaider

Avatar is nominated for Best Picture. Whoop de doo.

So are District 9 and Up. HOLY COW!

(Sorry for the full copy-paste. I always get overexcited when other people are :P)

BEST PICTURE

The Blind Side

District 9

An Education

The Hurt Locker

Inglourious Basterds

Precious

A Serious Man

Up

Up in the Air

BEST DIRECTOR

James Cameron, Avatar

Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker

Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

Lee Daniels, Precious

Jason Reitman, Up in the Air

BEST ACTOR

Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

George Clooney, Up in the Air

Colin Firth, A Single Man

Morgan Freeman, Invictus

Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker

BEST ACTRESS

Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side

Helen Mirren, The Last Station

Carey Mulligan, An Education

Gabourey Sidibe, Precious

Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Matt Damon, Invictus

Woody Harrelson, The Messenger

Christopher Plummer, The Last Station

Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones

Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Penelope Cruz, Nine

Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air

Maggie Gyllenhaal, Crazy Heart

Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air

Mo'nique, Precious

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Mark Boal, The Hurt Locker

Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

Alessandro Camon & Oren Moverman, The Messenger

Joel & Ethan Coen, A Serious Man

Pete Docter, Bob Peterson, & Thomas McCarthy, Up

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Neil Blomkamp & Terri Tatchell, District 9

Nick Hornby, An Education

Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Ianucci, & Tony Roche, In the Loop

Geoffrey Fletcher, Precious

Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner, Up in the Air

ANIMATED FILM

Coraline

Fantastic Mr. Fox

The Princess and the Frog

The Secret of Kells

Up

I just realized I haven't seen a single one of the Best Animated Film nominees yet. No, not even Up. Shocking.

Edited by NorthRaider

Sorry... Up for best picture? Really?

Don't know why the rest are showing up anyway, the "story" of Cameron returning to conquor all has already been written. It's all just going through the motions at this point.

Sorry... Up for best picture? Really?

Don't know why the rest are showing up anyway, the "story" of Cameron returning to conquor all has already been written. It's all just going through the motions at this point.

Up is an extremely well crafted movie and is well deserving of a best picture nod. My money is on The Hurt Locker for best picture.

I think that's my problem with Avatar and why I refuse to go see it. It just seems like smoke and mirrors to me. Folks are distracted on how beautiful it is, they forget about the story. Which is just a retread of movies that probable did it better :huh: I'm really hoping that the Oscars humble him a bit. As much as I've loved his movies in the past, his head seems to have exploded over this movie :down:

Up is an extremely well crafted movie and is well deserving of a best picture nod.

See I thought they made a really big deal several years ago about not wanting animated films "taking spots" from "real" films and created the animated movie category. I want to say this was over Shrek, but it may have been another of the Pixar films that caused the stink. In my opinion, Star Trek, or the Hangover should have gotten the spot. YMMV

As much as I've loved his movies in the past, his head seems to have exploded over this movie :down:

Oh I think Titanic did that. :rolleyes:

I think that's my problem with Avatar and why I refuse to go see it. It just seems like smoke and mirrors to me. Folks are distracted on how beautiful it is, they forget about the story. Which is just a retread of movies that probable did it better :huh: I'm really hoping that the Oscars humble him a bit. As much as I've loved his movies in the past, his head seems to have exploded over this movie :down:

Avatar is really good movie and I don't think that the story was forgotten. The movie was written over a decade ago but Cameron knew that the current technology would not lend itself to the movie that he wanted to make so he waited. Is the story 100% original? No but what is. If James Cameron has a big head about it, it is probably because he made a movie that is going to change the industry. Avatar will likely win all effects categories and it's justified. I've seen it in 2d and 3d and it is beautiful. Go see the movie and make up your own mind.

Best Picture: Absolutely the best Best Picture lineup I've seen in years. For once there's a chance that a movie I like will win. Of all of those thogh (Up discounted as there's no way it'll win. It's just a formality) my favorite is Inglorious Basterds easily. Now Up better win Best Animated, Waltz for Best Supporting, Screenplay to either Basterds or Up. D9 for Adapted Screeplay. Cameron has Director in the bag. For Actor and Actress, I didn't see those so I have no opinion.

Knowing the Oscars, Precious wil probably get an acting award.

Best Picture: Absolutely the best Best Picture lineup I've seen in years. For once there's a chance that a movie I like will win. Of all of those thogh (Up discounted as there's no way it'll win. It's just a formality) my favorite is Inglorious Basterds easily. Now Up better win Best Animated, Waltz for Best Supporting, Screenplay to either Basterds or Up. D9 for Adapted Screeplay. Cameron has Director in the bag. For Actor and Actress, I didn't see those so I have no opinion.

Knowing the Oscars, Precious wil probably get an acting award.

Wow, I really disliked Inglorious Basterds. I was hoping it would be good, but I was bored with most of it. The part with Brad Pity's character trying to talk in a French accent was great though, otherwise I was underwhelmed. Then again I was bored to death while watching Deathproof too. I think the best movie that Tarantino has been involved with was True Romance (my favorite movie of all time). He wrote the screenplay for it, but I think that was all the involvement he had with it. I thought Jackie Brown was crap too, and that Pulp Fiction was way overated too. It was decent, but not great. Oh well, enough ranting for now.

I just realized I haven't seen a single one of the Best Animated Film nominees yet. No, not even Up. Shocking.

Go see Fantastic Mr Fox! Right now! Go!!!

Go see Coraline! DO it NOW!

Wow, I really disliked Inglorious Basterds. I was hoping it would be good, but I was bored with most of it. The part with Brad Pity's character trying to talk in a French accent was great though, otherwise I was underwhelmed. Then again I was bored to death while watching Deathproof too. I think the best movie that Tarantino has been involved with was True Romance (my favorite movie of all time). He wrote the screenplay for it, but I think that was all the involvement he had with it. I thought Jackie Brown was crap too, and that Pulp Fiction was way overated too. It was decent, but not great. Oh well, enough ranting for now.

Yeah I recently saw PF for the first time. It is almost overrated. However I liked most any part with Sam L. Jackson.

However Christoph Waltz in Basterds kicked some serious ASS. Brad Pitt kicked ass. And nobody else really kicked ass. Still loved Hitler getting face shot off.

Really overall my favorite Tarantino films are Kill Bill. So insanely watchable. But Basterds is my second favorite easily.

Hurt Locker, UP, and Inglorious Basterds were my favorite from that list (I did enjoy Avatar as well but I don't want it to win) I think that the biggest overlook was Star Trek, but like they would ever give credit to a sci-fi movie! I am gonna go with Hurt Locker since even though I would pick IB to win I don't think it will.

Oscars schmoskers!

Despite it being a bunch of nonsense, I saw two films on the "best of list," and of them, District 9 was best. So, District 9 should win, IMO.

LOL at Sandra Bullock being nominated for best actress. Or more specifically, "LOLOLOL, ROTFL"

Didn't see Jeff Bridges's new movie yet, but based on the commercials, I say he should win. He certainly deserves it as a belated nod for the greatest comedy film since Duck Soup--the Big Lebowski.

Edited by karamazov80

Hurt Locker, UP, and Inglorious Basterds were my favorite from that list (I did enjoy Avatar as well but I don't want it to win) I think that the biggest overlook was Star Trek, but like they would ever give credit to a sci-fi movie! I am gonna go with Hurt Locker since even though I would pick IB to win I don't think it will.

Well D9 got some recognition. It's sci fi. Sooo...

• 1 month later...

Time to start my annual Update. A little late, I know. But took a bit to find this topic.

So the winners so far:

Best Supporting: Christoph Walts for Basterds.

Best Animated: Up.

Best Original Song: Theme from Crazy Heart.

Best Original Screenplay: (The dialogue between the presenters was AWESOME!!!) The Hurt Locker. I honestly think I want to put this movie on my radar. It sounds like the new Saving Private Ryan.

Hold on. I just realized something...

Why isn't 9 nominated for Best Animated Picture?!

I mean, I guess I know it makes no difference seeing as Up was a shoe-in for the Oscar and all... but come on! 9! Do people really hate stitchpunks THAT much?!

(In case it wasn't obvious already, I saw it on DVD yesterday. May not be revolutionary stuff, but I still liked it. I highly recommend Timur Bekmambetov's Night Watch movies: They're in Russian, but he somehow manages to make the subtitles cool :D)

Best Original Screenplay: (The dialogue between the presenters was AWESOME!!!) The Hurt Locker. I honestly think I want to put this movie on my radar. It sounds like the new Saving Private Ryan.

It's not. It is very very good though.

Best shorts:

Animated: Logorama

Documentary: Music by Prudence

Live Action: The New Tenants

Best Makeup: (Ben Stiller as a Na'vi was awesome.) Star Trek

Best adapted screenplay: Precious based on the novel Push by Sapphire.

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'nique for Precious

Best Art Direction: Avatar. Of course.

Best Costume Design: The YOung Victoria

Edited by Trekker 42

Best Original Score: Up! YEHA!!! Up was the ABSOLUTE best sounding of those five movies. Without question.

Visual Effects: Avatar. But did you honestly think it was going to be ANYTHING else? Honestly?

Best Documentary: The Cove.

Best Film Editing: The Hurt Locker

Best Foreign Lang film: El Secreto de sus Ojos.

Best Actor: Jeff Bridges Crazy Heart.

Visual Effects: Avatar. But did you honestly think it was going to be ANYTHING else? Honestly?

Do you honestly think that anything else should have won?

Ha! God no. I doubt they should have even bothered with nominations. :biggrin: