UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Iron Man 2 Minimates Press Release

Shanester

Just got this:

Iron Man 2 Minimates - The Reveal!

Fans all over the world are gearing up for Marvel Studios' next sure-fire blockbuster Iron Man 2 and at Diamond Select Toys we are excited to reveal details surrounding our previously Top Secret Iron Man 2 Minimates! Due in stores this March, two new assortments of Minimates are sure to thrill fans of all ages!

While one particular high-flying armor-clad character will remain hidden until the March release date, we can now reveal the full contents of our upcoming Marvel Minimates Series 35 Assortment and Iron Man 2 Single Pack Minimates Display. Rounding out the cast of Series 35 is the high-tech army builder paired with Pepper Potts and Happy Hogan - Hammer Industries' Hammer Drone! Glimpsed only briefly in the Iron Man 2 trailer, not much is known about the Hammer Drones - except that Iron Man and War Machine will apparently square off against an entire squad of them at some point during the film.

The biggest reveal comes in the form of our Iron Man 2 Single Pack Minimates Display, a special set of individually boxed Iron Man 2 Minimates limited to only 500 cases. This set was under complete lockdown, however now we can reveal the full contents!

Each display will include 12 individually packaged Iron Man 2 Minimates, including:

Air Assault Drone

Ground Assault Drone

Sea Assault Drone

Tactical Assault Drone

Plus limited short-packs found in every case featuring:

Battle Damaged Hammer Drone

Justin Hammer

Styled after the four branches of the US Military, exact how these high-powered armors will come to exist and what their creation means for Iron Man remains to be seen - but we can't wait to find out! Retailers can still order this limited set as part of their January 2010 Previews orders, so if you want these Iron Man 2 exclusives to become a part of your collection make sure you let them know before it's too late!

post-2-1264028604_thumb.jpg

post-2-1264028614_thumb.jpg

just saw this on facebook... i'm happy for anyone excited by this, but quite frankly it all does nothing for me. i'll probably get the 2-pack with wiplash, but nothing more. i'd like that justin hammer, but i'm certainly not putting any effort into tracking it down

but which hammer drones are which?

Black - Air Force

Tan - Army

Blue - Navy

Green - Marines

but which hammer drones are which?

Black - Air Force

Tan - Army

Blue - Navy

Green - Marines

Actually, i was thinking:

Black: Navy (Sea)

Tan: Army (Ground)

Grey/Blue: Airforce (Air)

Green: Marines: (Tactical)

If you look on the back of the Black Hammer Drone, there are definitely torpedoes sticking out (the copper spikes). Now, i highly doubt this one is because i'm in a High School NAVAL ROTC, another thing is that look how heavily armed the Grey/Blue Drone is. There is no way that cold withstand Under-sea terrain better than the Black; of course, t isn't exactly aerodynamic either. The main give-away for it would have to be the cannons though. While they appear to be anti-aircraft, that could just as well function in the air itself. They ALSO look like, however, some form of Jet-propulsion system, perhaps functioning from the rear.

Just my 2-cents. ;)

I LOVE these Drones!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never bought a case of anything, but i think Luke just made a few bucks off of me, in addition to LCS Singles; besides Sentinels, these are probably the greatest army-builder DST has released. They're fanastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But when does the Tactical Drone get called "Titanium Drone??" :lol:

EDIT: Closer inspection, the Black (Seas!!!) Drone also has FINS on the arms. ;)

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

If you look on the back of the Black Hammer Drone, there are definitely torpedoes sticking out (the copper spikes). Now, i highly doubt this one is because i'm in a High School NAVAL ROTC, another thing is that look how heavily armed the Grey/Blue Drone is. There is no way that cold withstand Under-sea terrain better than the Black; of course, t isn't exactly aerodynamic either. The main give-away for it would have to be the cannons though. While they appear to be anti-aircraft, that could just as well function in the air itself. They ALSO look like, however, some form of Jet-propulsion system, perhaps functioning from the rear.

Just my 2-cents. ;)

EDIT: Closer inspection, the Black (Seas!!!) Drone also has FINS on the arms. ;)

I thought what you saw as tordoes, I saw as air-to-air missiles. And the black combined with the "wing things" on the back, well, that said stealth fighter to me.

The grey-blue looks, well, battleship grey to me. And the shoulder launchers remind me of the missile batteries on ships. The shoulder/chest piece seems more solid than the black, more, well, sea worthy.

Never know till we see the boxes I guess.

Color confusion aside, I think these are pretty genius. I see some minor parts-sharing, yet somehow the drones managed to pull off looking unique enough to stand out from each other. And Kamsm8 has a point: how can you not love a whole horde of evil mechas for our mini-heroes to fight? :D

Wait, er, uh...

Damn. Now I have to get these in bulk. To think I actually needed that money for something.

P.S. These just showed up on io9. Oddly they don't appear to be marked as Minimates.

I think these newly revealed drones look better than the first one. Pretty cool, anime-looking robots for Minimates to square off against. However, I'm not feeling that Sam Rockwell based on that pic.

I have mixed feelings about the army builders...

On the one hand, I buy everything in the Marvel Minimates line, because I'm a completionist, so more Marvel Mates are always nice in my book...

On the other hand, if they were going to FINALLY experiment with single-packed Marvel Mates, I worry that this wasn't the place to start...

Movie mates classicaly don't seem to be their best sellers. My comic book store STILL has X3 mates warming the pegs, astonishingly. Local Toys R Us stores have tons of Wolverine mates warming the pegs. EVERYONE still has Hulk mates warming the pegs, AFX can't give the things away, and even the 1st Iron Man movie mates don't seem to be insanely huge sellers. (AFX doesn't seem to be able to give away their exclusive 4-Pack either.)

Not only are these things generic army-builders as far as the movie goes, they're also generically obscure as far as the greater marvel universe goes... I mean do they exist in the Marvel Universe? In any form? Outside the movie?

If I wasn't a Marvel completionist, I know I'd have zero desire to pick them up. If they were just "Military Battle Robots". With the acception of Hammer, the only thing motivating me is my desire to complete the line. They're neat, but not THAT neat.

I fear that the cases will get stripped of their probably one Justin Hammer, then stores will be left with 20 drones warming their shelves, which will consiquently discourage retailers from ordering single-packed Marvel mates again, and consiquently discourgae diamond from making single-packed Marvel mates again.

I just think something with a bit more recognition behind it would have been a better place to start. SHIELD Agents with a 1 per case Nick Fury & Dum Dum Dugan or something. Or an X-Men case which consisted mostly of Multiple Man & Stepford Cuckoos, but also contained 1 or 2 shortpacked good X-Men. lol...

Actually, as a huge X-Men fan, I really like that last idea... I'm gonna go suggest it on their website...

Edited by Gillbob316

Yeah - i know what you mean. I'm also kind of worried about this being the way they test the waters with the single-packed army builders.

I'm not crazy about these. They look cool, but i'm more of a x-men & comic fan than a movie franchise fan. I'm gonna buy one of each just to show support for the line. . . but i am nervous that this wont perform well enough to warrant more single packed army builders in the future.

On the other hand, if they were going to FINALLY experiment with single-packed Marvel Mates, I worry that this wasn't the place to start...

<snip>

Iron Man wasn't X3, SM3, Hulk, or Wolverine. While the success of those films can be debated, Iron Man was an undeniable hit. And unlike it's black clad competitor that summer, Iron Man was a kid friendly movie too, which helped it's overall toy sales. Iron Man mates sold really well. IM2 looks to be a bigger, better movie, so it's not a bad idea to hedge your bet and try this now. They're also limiting these to 500 cases. It's probably the soundest plan they could have come up with for this.

IMO.

YMMV.

And I really, really hope it works out.

(visions of an AIM or Hydra army builder case with MODOK, Struker, and Viper as the short packs... B) )

Single packs have had limited success in the past with BSG & Terminator but these babies are exceptionally nice & quite clever in that they are almost generic 'armoured guys'. I can never figure out who these 'singles' are aimed at because they never seemed to be that different in the past from the normal wave characters ....these again seem different enough to succeed.

The chase figures in any single pack wave are rare,500 of any Minimate is very rare.

Whether or not the Iron Man Movie 'mates were successful or not is debatable, what isn't debatable is that they were far more succcessful than previous & subsequent Movie mates. I like what I'm seeing & I just hope the movie is up to expectations.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I've tried to avoid spoilers about the film but couldn't resist a peek at the army builders. And I like the look of them. I get a bit of a Halo vibe from them hehe. I think, as people have said, these will work as generic robot/mecha badguys to fight as well as being tied to the IM2 film.

Or are we waiting to see what box sets or exclusives she will be included in?

Bing bing bing!

While I can see why some people might not like them, I personally think they look great and while I've only ordered one version of each, I may (funds and opportunity pending) order a second version of each. I hope these work out.