UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

How long can the army building go on?

Cramer

Here's a random thought:

Would anyone be offended if they reissued with little to no change the existing army builders?

Like in 10 waves or so if they put the AIM Agents into the sets would that be a "oh good! two more for my growing army" thing or would it be a "ah f***! I bought 50 Caps/Ironmans to build the army I wanted! How dare they reissue them in a standard release! Now I'm gonna have 52 henchmen which is such a weird number to work with!!" thing?

Because that could certainly extend the life of the army builder concept and let those who come in late catch up/those who want an army but didn't want to buy 500 Ironmans will slooooowly over time be able to pick up one pack and eventually have an army.

I guess reissuing them would piss off a lot of the guys who ended up with spare IMs/Bucky Caps when starting out, but in theory I actually like this idea as far as future waves go. If DST can't reissue them as is then maybe they can "battle-damage" them or something for a little variety. They can even extend the army builders not just to variant packs but also to exclusives or boxsets or in the event that they stop having original pairings per wave (knock on wood).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a random thought:

Would anyone be offended if they reissued with little to no change the existing army builders?

Like in 10 waves or so if they put the AIM Agents into the sets would that be a "oh good! two more for my growing army" thing or would it be a "ah f***! I bought 50 Caps/Ironmans to build the army I wanted! How dare they reissue them in a standard release! Now I'm gonna have 52 henchmen which is such a weird number to work with!!" thing?

Because that could certainly extend the life of the army builder concept and let those who come in late catch up/those who want an army but didn't want to buy 500 Ironmans will slooooowly over time be able to pick up one pack and eventually have an army.

I guess reissuing them would piss off a lot of the guys who ended up with spare IMs/Bucky Caps when starting out, but in theory I actually like this idea as far as future waves go. If DST can't reissue them as is then maybe they can "battle-damage" them or something for a little variety. They can even extend the army builders not just to variant packs but also to exclusives or boxsets or in the event that they stop having original pairings per wave (knock on wood).

I'm one of those guys who went crazy trying to build my AIM army (currently up to 28) and Skrulls (still working on it... only 8 of those guys), and I can completely understand the negatives of a re-issue of something I went out of my way to 'buy bulk' of... but that said, I would actually love the idea of re-releasing army builders that we've seen already. For example, the BSG Cylons... I went crazy gathering my 50+ Cylon army when they were first released back in the day. Was I mad when they appeared again in the TRU lineups? no way - I ate it up. Especially the 'stealth' Cylons. And that is why I think seeing a re-release of a previous army builder would work, because I can see AA/DST thinking it through and offering us slightly tweaked versions, so as to keep it fresh. There may be some that can only be tweaked by making them battle damaged, and that's good enough, I suppose. But there are others that can be given an "unlimited" number of logical changes, such as Skrulls (they could potentially put a new one in every wave for a dozen waves, simply by changing the paint apps to give them different faces, and of course by giving us female versions as well) and that can be said of any army builder with a visible face. Though I certainly wouldn't want to see Skrulls in every wave. I'm just saying the potential is there for lots of diversity with just one character (though, that's a relatively moot point considering that we've already been given several different faces via the Secret Invasion pack. Regardless, the point still has relevance in light of the other characters that this idea could apply to).

but all that being said, I doubt we will see re-releases in the foreseeable future. We've already been given (or at least told about) army builders that I personally never would have thought of. Vault Guards? that was a *relatively* obscure choice, yet it works. And we've seen in this thread that there are potentials for probably another dozen waves, including big 'main' army builders like the 616 Shield Agents or the Hand ... and AA/DST has shown us that they aren't afraid to give us smaller 'non-main' army builders like Multiple Man (not to say that he isn't a big character... but for me personally, that was a surprise, since I didn't really consider one single character to be an army. but that may just be me).

Anyway, I'm rambling. The point is, I'm sure we won't have to worry about seeing old army buildings reappearing. But if we do, I'll be onboard :thumbsup:

Firts of all, I'm with all of you - which might be at least the whole 'verse - who love the army building idea and I think DST will do good on keeping it going.

For the reissuing of army builders I think I'd prefer new ones before DST might consider a reissue of say AIM agents. And I like NR's idea of battledamaged ones or other variants of those guys. (With the upcoming Hydra agent we'll be able to do our own variants which is a great (GREAT!) idea.)

I will totally love my own Hand Ninjas in hopefully near future - although at that point in future I won't be in the US anymore ( :( ), but there still is Luke's store which gives me a whole new perspective on my little addiction! Cheers to you!)

And on SHIELD soldiers - you know, the "real" ones from our beloved 616 universe - sorry Trekker -, that would (and probably will) be great. I wouldn't even mind if DST won't give us different faces, because we have a whole truckload of different human faces to use for them, right? (Although female Shieldies would be very cool!)

I actually wouldn't mind a boxset of army builders based around one team (Hydra, Hand, AIM, etc.) with head/weapon/uniform variations between the 4-5 mates. It'd be cool to see that. :)

Probably won't sell aswell, though. :( The different army builders in one boxset idea would probably be better for marketing.

Edited by Nekoi

I actually wouldn't mind a boxset of army builders based around one team (Hydra, Hand, AIM, etc.) with head/weapon/uniform variations between the 4-5 mates. It'd be cool to see that. :)

Probably won't sell aswell, though. :( The different army builders in one boxset idea would probably be better for marketing.

Yeah you're right about the selling. Remember the Cylons? I don't think they did too well did they...?

Yeah you're right about the selling. Remember the Cylons? I don't think they did too well did they...?

apples and oranges

I'd be pretty happy to see Hellfire Cult members as well as HellFire club Goons.

I think some Shi'ar guards/army builders would be awesome too (but only if we ever get Deathbird &/or Lilandra)

As previously mentioned, Classic Multiple man in his containment suit would be awesome, as would Prime Sentinels & Stepford Cuckoo's.

Shield agents are a must & i'm actually pretty surprised that we haven't already seen them yet!

What i'd REALLY like to see is an Age Of Apocalypse wave. Something along the lines of: Holocaust, Rogue, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Weapon X (& Burnt Weapon X variant, cause every wave needs two wolverines) with an Infinite Soldier army builder! The story arc probably isn't big enough to warrant a wave - but i think the Infinites are perfect for an army builder character. Geneticly engineered soldiers for Apocalypse that he can manufacture thousands, even millions of!

I think we've got plenty of army builders for the next few waves.

Assuming we don't repeat or re-release different versions of already released builders (eg: not counting FEMALE skrulls, etc. . . ) we've still got:

Shield Agents (616)

Shi'ar Soldiers

Hellfire Club Goons

Stepford Cuckoo's

Sentinels (Prime - from the Zero Tolerance story arc)

Spider Slayers

Hand Ninja

Hammer Agents

Doom Bots

Brood (Not sure how they'd make these ones)

Scarlet Spiders (Iron Spider-Men)

These are LESS likely to get made - but we also have:

Hellfire Cult Members

Atlanteans

Infinite Soldier

Mindless Ones

Moleoids

leaders pink Humanoids

WarWolves (give us SPIRAL)

Dire Wraiths

Watchdogs

N'Garai

Dire Wraiths

Lava Men

Spider Slayers

Collective Man

Even if they only make the soldiers from the 'Most Likely' top half of the list - that's still another 11 waves worth of Army Builders. I think we're set for at least a little while & that’s without resorting to female kree or battle damages skrulls :)

Edited by Nessex

I'd be pretty happy to see Hellfire Cult members as well as HellFire club Goons.

I think some Shi'ar guards/army builders would be awesome too (but only if we ever get Deathbird &/or Lilandra)

As previously mentioned, Classic Multiple man in his containment suit would be awesome, as would Prime Sentinels & Stepford Cuckoo's.

Shield agents are a must & i'm actually pretty surprised that we haven't already seen them yet!

What i'd REALLY like to see is an Age Of Apocalypse wave. Something along the lines of: Holocaust, Rogue, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Weapon X (& Burnt Weapon X variant, cause every wave needs two wolverines) with an Infinite Soldier army builder! The story arc probably isn't big enough to warrant a wave - but i think the Infinites are perfect for an army builder character. Geneticly engineered soldiers for Apocalypse that he can manufacture thousands, even millions of!

Forget the Logan variant; we need Jean AND Phoenix, as both are fairly iconic costumes. :yes:

I could definitely get in on the Army-building box-sets; hell, I suggested singles in an old Q&A and DST said that they have been discussing this. Of course, i'm on the side of the boat where we get diversified members of the SAME group, not 1 AIM, 1 HYDRA, 1 SHIELD, etc. Gvie us different faces, weapons, and maybe suit variations and i'd be sold. We could buy the sets we'd want and not have to get an abundance of those we don't; i'd rather have 50 HYDRAs than any more than 5 Skrulls any day.

Forget the Logan variant; we need Jean AND Phoenix, as both are fairly iconic costumes. :yes:

Bah ha ha! I knew you'd be on board for an AOA Jean ;)

I'd like to see single pack releases of the army builders at some point. (yes with some reissues)

Or at least well picked amrybuilder/army builder 2 packs, like Kree / Skrull, or SHIELD (616) / Hydra.

I'd like to see single pack releases of the army builders at some point. (yes with some reissues)

Or at least well picked amrybuilder/army builder 2 packs, like SHIELD (616) / Hydra.

If this happens, I will be soooo broke. I already plan on army building the shit out of hydra agents. If they were packaged with Shield agents I would dance the happy dance.

moc847

I can't believe its not been mentioned

looky looky

purifiers / matthew riseman

Choir angels / reverend william striker

purifiers / bastion

choir angels / william striker and the hand of NIMROD

then you could have

Eli bard (who the hell is Eli bard?) / selene

tecnarch apache / caliban

leper queen / sapien league

(yeah big X fan)

I can't believe its not been mentioned

looky looky

purifiers / matthew riseman

Choir angels / reverend william striker

purifiers / bastion

choir angels / william striker and the hand of NIMROD

then you could have

Eli bard (who the hell is Eli bard?) / selene

tecnarch apache / caliban

leper queen / sapien league

(yeah big X fan)

Probably because I'm not a fan of the whole storyline/X-Force/murderfest thing. But You're right, they're a name to be checked and a current sotryline so they have a better chance of getting made than most of my choices.

(USED to be a big X-Fan, when killing bad guys was still an accident of self defense, and not the mission itself)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Doom Servo-guards

Shi'ar warriors

Watchdogs

Sons of the Serpent

N'Garai

Dire Wraiths

Badoon

War Wolves

Rock Trolls (found plenty of pictures of Ulik, but no generic trolls)

Lava Men

Prime Sentinels (yeah, I'd rather have actual Sentinel Sentinels too, but we gotta a height requirement to work with)

I think that Doom Servo-Gaurd looks like the real deal. I love it! When I think Doombots, those're the guys I'm talkin' about!

I'd love to see:

SHIELD agents, Hand ninjas, an Atlantean w/spare parts to make Attuma, Moleoids w/a Mole Man, Mindless Ones w/Dormammu or Baron Mordo, Hellfire Gaurds, Leader's pink humanoids, Brood, Watchers (GREAT idea Trekker 42) at the very least. Some Lava Men from Avengers issues of way back would be sweet, too.

I know I've already mentioned those in a previous post in this thread, but the idea of all the possibilites gets me all excited!

• 2 weeks later...

Surefire Army Hits:

1) Hand Ninjas

2) Mandroids

3) SHIELD Agents (616)

4) Dreadnoughts

5) Brood (somehow)

6) Moloids

I'd also like to see:

1) a Classic Madrox.

2) U.L.T.I.M.A.T.U.M. Soldiers (Flag Smasher's outfit)

3) The Stone Men from Saturn ("Kronans" - from Thor's first appearance, and several subsequent)

4) Dire Wraiths

5) Badoon

6) Mindless Ones

Edited by elhonez

I just finished reading the comic with the first appearance of the Mandroids. They didn't fare very well against the Avengers.

Supposedly they would have been able to take out even Thor, but Tony Stark, having created them, knew their weaknesses, and apparently communicated these weaknesses to Iron man.

I just finished reading the comic with the first appearance of the Mandroids. They didn't fare very well against the Avengers.

Supposedly they would have been able to take out even Thor, but Tony Stark, having created them, knew their weaknesses, and apparently communicated these weaknesses to Iron man.

That sounds familiar. Which issue was that in?

I'd welcome the chance to let my Avengers Minimates have a re-match...

Was during the Kree/Skrull war storyline (which surprisingly showed very little in the way of Krees actually fighting Skrulls). I'll check when I get home.

edit: Google searched it; issue #94

Edited by karamazov80

Was during the Kree/Skrull war storyline (which surprisingly showed very little in the way of Krees actually fighting Skrulls). I'll check when I get home.

Where is home Sam ....would it be Hala,Kree-Lar or Krullos in the Drox system Andromeda? Are you Skrull or Kree or Red Stick ....do you live in the top of a tall cypress tree or is the beer just very very strong tonight in Bumblekree Skrull Sanctuary :blink: