UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

movies!

I took one for the team and went to see New Moon a couple weeks ago with my girlfriend. Not as boring as Twilight (which I went to so I could see Punisher: War Zone the next week), but that's not a real accomplishment. The two or three "action" sequences were alright though.

I got a PS3 on Black Friday and watched Wolverine Origins on Blu-Ray. I've heard quite a few people slam it, but I thought it was pretty damn good. Baraka, I mean Deadpool, wasn't even that bad IMO...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Taken, too, but saw it as an anti-Bourne movie in some ways. Nowadays, many popular action movies seem to have some sophisticated, often complex undertones or ideas behind them. Bourne is an example--fancy pants spy, all kinds of funky international intrigue, figuring out his identity, etc.

Taken harkens back to some of the "revenge" type of movies from the 60s and 70s I think. Guy's daughter gets abducted, he flies to France and beats up/kills a bunch of people to get her back, and ultimately does get her back. The end. He doesn't care about anyone or anything except saving his daughter. Even the other abducted teens he runs into are only saved if they can help him find his daughter. If not, he doesn't give a crap. I quite liked a movie that was very basic and did precisely what it claimed to. I've heard rumors of a sequel, and though I liked the Neeson character, I'm not sure I want to see the "further adventures of the guy from Taken." Probably will rent it, though.

Talking about Neeson, I just saw

, which is hilarious, and absolutely true!

saw funny people last night,pretty good movie,its supposed to be a dark comedy (i think)but i just like that adam sandler is just a jerk to begin with

I wouldn't say dark comedy more of drama/comedy or dramedy. I liked funny people but it doesn't hold a lot of rewatch value for me.

My wife wanted to watch Four Christmases and boy did it suck. The two main characters were so unlikeable I kept hoping it would turn into a horror movie and they would meet a gruesome end. Most of the things that were supposed to be funny were not and the things that were appeared in the trailer. Steer clear if you can.

I watched "The Road" yesterday and it was great. One of the years best. I reccomend it but be warned, it is a very very sad film. As a fan of Cormac McCarthy's novel it is very true to the book and is definately one of the better adaptions out there. It is in limited release so I would seek it out.

I watched "The Road" yesterday and it was great. One of the years best. I reccomend it but be warned, it is a very very sad film. As a fan of Cormac McCarthy's novel it is very true to the book and is definately one of the better adaptions out there. It is in limited release so I would seek it out.

I have wanted to see that for a couple of years ever since I read the book. Harrowing does not even begin to describe that book.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Youth in Revolt last night and it was OK. The book is very dear to me I read it for the first time when I was 15 and now 15 years after that it is the book I have read more than any other. For those who have not read the book it's written from the perspective of a 14 year old who is, like many other 14 year olds, obsessed with sex so it is a little blue. The movie is more tame but still a solid R. Michael Cera finally plays someone other than a neurotic teen in this he plays a sociopathic teen who unlike most of Cera's other roles has no shortage of confidence. See the movie then get the book and get the full story.

Edited by minimadman

obsessed with sex so it is a little blue

It's funny how you guys call something sexually suggestive "blue"... around here we call something like that "green." No, seriously.

I've never heard of "blue" being used in a sexual context. I've always thought it was more of a color denoting sadness. Green is envious to "us guys"...

Green = sick

Blue = lacking blood

Bluish gray = zombie

Red = Dead zombie

Purple = bruise

Yellow = hepatitis / pedophile from powerful Basin City family

Orange = too many carrots

Black = frostbite

White = ghost / vampire

Sparkly = Twilight vampire (exterminate with extreme prejudice)

Back on topic, has anyone seen the movie, Jennifer's Body? I was thinking about renting it. Megan Fox is one of the greatest actresses of our lifetime... ;) ...and I like horror movies.

Jennifer's Body was laughable. I can say this though, it's the best remake of Mean Girls of all time.

I just read the Youth in Revolt book (got it for Christmas), so I'm going to the movie with some people from school tomorrow. I think it's hilarious that as Micheal Cera gets older, he plays younger roles.

Back on topic, has anyone seen the movie, Jennifer's Body? I was thinking about renting it. Megan Fox is one of the greatest actresses of our lifetime... ;) ...and I like horror movies.

Jennifer's Body was laughable. I can say this though, it's the best remake of Mean Girls of all time.

I just read the Youth in Revolt book (got it for Christmas), so I'm going to the movie with some people from school tomorrow. I think it's hilarious that as Micheal Cera gets older, he plays younger roles.

Well Youth in Revolt has been in the can for over 2 years I think so Cera was a little younger when it was shot. I also just realized you were almost 2 when I read that book for the first time and that makes me feel old.

That's not old! :)

Anyone see Daybreakers yet? I don't know if I want to see it yet. The original tralers made it look cool, but the newere ones with the transformed vampires flying around looks pretty cheesy.

Edited by the punisher=D

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone see Daybreakers yet? I don't know if I want to see it yet. The original tralers made it look cool, but the newere ones with the transformed vampires flying around looks pretty cheesy.

NO!NOT CHEESEY! :P but seriously,this movie is awesome.the vampires you saw are amazing and the suit is incredible.but the movie is not what you think.its not vampires vs humans ,its more than that.its is just incredible really

I watched a couple of movies lately and some of them were really good. I don't need to mention "Avatar", since it got it's own thread, but I also watched "Fantatsic Mr. Fox", which I think was a brillinat movie. If you like Wes Andersons movies I am sure you'll enjoy this one, this you defenitely recognize his style - although it's completely stop motion. I watched Terry Gilliams "Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" yesterday and was a little disappointed. I didn't read a lot of it before going so I didn't have any particular expectations aside from Gilliam usually making interesting movies. This one wasnt, in my eyes. Some fancy scenes and weired ideas, but all in all not very original and the plot itself could be told in less then ten minutes. And I guess even the hype about beeing the last movie with Heath Ledger and some other great actors stepping in for him - Depp, Farrel, Law - won't make it any better. I also wasn't that convinced by the new "Sherlock Holmes", although I liked the idea itself and the visual style of it, but for me a movie needs a good plot, and that one, well, it was nice.