UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Back from the dead!

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case there weren't enough "Hope" parody posters, I've created another in light of this joyous announcement.

adama400.jpg

(Click for a slightly larger version)

I was really surprised by the release dates. DST must have been sitting on this news for a long time. I can't imagine how tough that would have been. Can't wait to see these on the pegs.

That poster is beautiful! :woot:

I just found out about the vehicles today and I am pleasantly shocked. I do echo cdubya's concern over the prices and the first series not including the Mark II Viper from the early seasons, but rest assured I am now heavily anticipating these new packs anyway. I do find the Cylon Raider somewhat odd-looking, but that's the best DST could do at the Minimate scale so I'm not faulting them for it. And who knows? Maybe if the TRU series do well enough, we might get a Mark II and a Raptor as well :)

The last two waves were clearanced...

I'm having trouble recalling a wave of Minimates that wasn't clearanced somewhere.

... and the show is now off air...

Until this fall, when SyFy will air episodes from the Cylon perspective. Then there's syndication and the persistent rumor of a feature film. Kinda like that other popular sci-fi franchise from the 60's that continues to generate merchandise.

... half of these are character redo's or civilian looking mates (anyone else noticed the one line of marvel that is pegwarming is the wolverine wave that suffers the same costume issue?)

Different fanbase. BSG fans expect the characters to look like that. Marvel fans expect their characters to look like brightly colored circus performers. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) That and most comments I've read about the Wolverine movie was that it sucked.

Just sayin'.

And "sayin'" succinctly. Don't forget a little thing called Caprica on the horizon as well (well, 2010...but the premiere film is available now on DVD. Check it out. :thumbsup: ). Anyone doubting the 'legs' of this series is seriously misinformed.

Did not see this on here yet but BBTS has wave 1 and 2 on preorder for 13.99 a pop. Wow, that seems like a lot.

You gotta figure the cost of them either driving to their local TRU or paying for shipping online, plus they have to generate a profit somewhere.

Did not see this on here yet but BBTS has wave 1 and 2 on preorder for 13.99 a pop. Wow, that seems like a lot.

You gotta figure the cost of them either driving to their local TRU or paying for shipping online, plus they have to generate a profit somewhere.

Yeah, I can understand all the costs going into it. Though I doubt they will only be going to their local TRU for just the BSG mates :P I just mean for the average collector looking on their site and seeing a complete wave 3 going for like $12 and wave 4 for like $8, seeing these for $14 a single pack might look a bit out of place.

But hey, I think it is great that BBTS will have some for sale to help the international collectors.

Yeah, I can understand all the costs going into it. Though I doubt they will only be going to their local TRU for just the BSG mates :P I just mean for the average collector looking on their site and seeing a complete wave 3 going for like $12 and wave 4 for like $8, seeing these for $14 a single pack might look a bit out of place.

But hey, I think it is great that BBTS will have some for sale to help the international collectors.

Unless they order their own cases I still think that's a bit shady for the local collectors if the store-stock is being depleted for this purpose. As for International collectors, it's nice to have the venue as a last resort, but with the cost of International shipping plus doubling the price... seems a bit like extortion to me regardless of the service involved. On that note, once again I offer to help anyone out that needs these (provided my stores carry these) for cost + shipping.

Anyways, not my place to judge (I actually buy quite a bit from BBTS myself). I'm just glad I don't live in their area and have to compete with them for my toys!

I know I should even enter into this...because I have been told I am too negative about this line.

However, I will say, that if these make it to wave 2. I WILL get a couple of the ships to add to my Avengers Mansion Dio I am working on.

so you fans, you uber fans better get out there and buy a shit pot full of these.

The only thing that worries me, is this is a site dedicated to minimates and right now the comments are about 50 50 on these...if WE don't support this line, well that worries me...

moc847

I know I should even enter into this...because I have been told I am too negative about this line.

However, I will say, that if these make it to wave 2. I WILL get a couple of the ships to add to my Avengers Mansion Dio I am working on.

so you fans, you uber fans better get out there and buy a shit pot full of these.

The only thing that worries me, is this is a site dedicated to minimates and right now the comments are about 50 50 on these...if WE don't support this line, well that worries me...

moc847

What makes you think I'm going to leave any on the shelves for you? :biggrin:

Head over to the AA site to see the in package shots of wave 1!

I sold off my BSG mates when I reevaluated my collection as they were one of the reasons I was feeling disinterested in minimates...I had tried to get into the show but couldnt and had all these mates stacked up that didnt hold much interest to me. That being said I will buy some of the TRU sets, partially for parts and partially to help support the minimates at mass market, especially if we can make it to the ships, I'll be buying a few of those!

Jeff of the Miniacs

For whatever reason, I personally like my Minimates to have vehicles that are actually scale reproductions. The funky, miniature vehicles just don't do it for me in the way that the funky, miniaturized figures do.

Ironically, it seems the majority of complainers had no intention of supporting this particular line regardless of how they looked. So of what consequence is it then?

I'd have preferred them a bit larger (and Mk II) and less compressed myself, but I'll take what I can get. While scale (or close approximation) is generally important to me, for minimates it should still look toyetic rather than like an overly-detailed museum piece (that mixture of aesthetics bothers me). I think that's why I went for the Ecto-1 model over the die-cast as it still looked like a toy with it's plastic surfaces and soft-details (well this and the more practical pricetag!). About the best compromise for me was to attempt to cobble LEGO Vipers and Raiders, but the difficulty of collecting all of the bits necessary (not to mention the price) made a fleet unrealistic. While these will be humorously squat in their ugly super-deformed style, they will still suit my particular needs (though the Mk IIs were more prevalent and also could've been used for Razor pilots). While it seems very unlikely, I'd still like to see the Classic fliers as well.

Ironically, it seems the majority of complainers had no intention of supporting this particular line regardless of how they looked. So of what consequence is it then?

It is of consequence insofar as Minimate collectors hoping for future vehicles might now expect them (if they ever come) to look like bumper cars. I don't know if anyone here was really "complaining" about these, though, so much as questioning/criticizing DST's decision to release dull-looking figures that probably won't sell.

It is of consequence insofar as Minimate collectors hoping for future vehicles might now expect them (if they ever come) to look like bumper cars. I don't know if anyone here was really "complaining" about these, though, so much as questioning/criticizing DST's decision to release dull-looking figures that probably won't sell.

Which would seem to go without saying. Like it or not (and let me go on the record for saying that I do not particularly care for the super-deformed aesthetic of 'mate vehicles either), I'm afraid that this design-foundation was established as their cost-cutting signature with the Speed Racer debacle. Do you honestly believe were an Ecto-1 or Delorean produced that they'd appear any different? I'm not saying that they couldn't (or shouldn't) learn from these mistakes and approach these differently, but it seems very improbable for financial reasons. AMT/Ertyl models fortunately have filled this void with a few of their classics (see: Enterprise Command Bridge, Ecto-1, etc.). ;)

I won't get into the "dull-looking figures" debate as I feel MisterPL summed it up a few pages back.

Which would seem to go without saying. Like it or not (and let me go on the record for saying that I do not particularly care for the super-deformed aesthetic of 'mate vehicles either), I'm afraid that this design-foundation was established as their cost-cutting signature with the Speed Racer debacle. Do you honestly believe were an Ecto-1 or Delorean produced that they'd appear any different?

DST is producing a Delorian that is perfectly proportioned and actually too large for Minimates (GI Joe scale). If they thought there was a market for such things amongst Minimate collectors, I suspect that they might make an effort to produce Minimate scale vehicles of this type. It would be pricier to produce, but there would also be cross-over appeal for people who wanted scale models of vehicles, but not "super deformed" versions. So I don't know that they would produce Minimate scaled vehicles as I like or that they wouldn't, but they are certainly capable of doing so. Even if they aren't given the "Minimate" banner, they could be released alongside them, and marketed as being in scale.

A minimate is a minimate---I'll buy them all. As far as the BSG Mates are concerned, I'm more excited for these guys than any almost any other minimate produced so far.

Even if I wasn't into these as much as I am, I'd still buy them cuz they are minimates.

I've bought almost every mate there is, and I have no idea who half of the marvel characters are (thank god for wiki), but I still buy them, and don't complain so the line keeps going and everyone can maybe get what they hope for someday!

Edited by mav-man

......... and I have no idea who half of the marvel characters are (thank god for wiki), but I still buy them, and don't complain so the line keeps going and everyone can maybe get what they hope for someday!

:D Lovely comment. I had every BSG 'mate before I'd seen a single episode!

http://www.artasylum.com/gallery/bsg-minimates-tru-series-1/

YES!!! The window box package. I was hoping for this style!!!

Those are nice. I wonder what a case will consist of since there's 5 sets per series? I'm also curious how they're planning on packaging the ships, they way they were originally proposed or some newer hybrid of the boxes? I can't wait for these to start hitting!