UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

*Possible Spoilers* Terminator Salvation. *Possible Spoilers*

minimadman

I just got home from seeing Terminator Salvation and it was very meh. It's not unwatchable but it's not great and can barely be called good. It was nice to get a good look at Sam Worthington before he pops up in James Cameron's Avatar. This movie is very watered down and most of the really good action is in the trailer. There was one neat thing in the last bit of the movie that was very well done but I will not give that away here. The ending was cliche. Meh is the perfect way to describe this movie. Let's try to keep this thread as spoiler free as possible at least until Monday. If you must speak in spoilers use the spoiler boxes. Thanks.

I just got home from seeing Terminator Salvation and it was very meh. It's not unwatchable but it's not great and can barely be called good. It was nice to get a good look at Sam Worthington before he pops up in James Cameron's Avatar. This movie is very watered down and most of the really good action is in the trailer. There was one neat thing in the last bit of the movie that was very well done but I will not give that away here. The ending was cliche. Meh is the perfect way to describe this movie. Let's try to keep this thread as spoiler free as possible at least until Monday. If you must speak in spoilers use the spoiler boxes. Thanks.

WOO! Avatar!

Anyway, there is one thing I have to say about this movie weekend: this will be interesting. By far, this will be the most fascinating weekend by way of movies this year so far. Mostly because of the 2 major wide releases: Night at the Musuem and Terminator. I will be watching these 2. And we'll see who comes out on top.

WOO! Avatar!

Please tell me this has nothing to do with the last Airbender and everything to do with James Cameron.

Anyway, there is one thing I have to say about this movie weekend: this will be interesting. By far, this will be the most fascinating weekend by way of movies this year so far. Mostly because of the 2 major wide releases: Night at the Musuem and Terminator. I will be watching these 2. And we'll see who comes out on top.

It's like a battle of the mediocre sequel.

WOO! Avatar!

Please tell me this has nothing to do with the last Airbender and everything to do with James Cameron.

Oh most definately Cameron. I do not like the Airbender show.

My faith in humanity has been restored.

minimadman, please tell me this movie is better than Wolverine.

Is is. Easily. I will agree though that if you've seen all the trailers, you've seen most of the best parts, and you also know the plot.

It was what I expected. I liked it. There wasn't any great twists like I wished. But it was satisfying. I will say this till we go spoiler free: God Bless Public Domain. On top of which, Blair was hot. Smokin hot. Maybe it was just the environment that she was in stood her apart.

I am now off to buy another HK.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Is is. Easily. I will agree though that if you've seen all the trailers, you've seen most of the best parts, and you also know the plot.

It was what I expected. I liked it. There wasn't any great twists like I wished. But it was satisfying. I will say this till we go spoiler free: God Bless Public Domain. On top of which, Blair was hot. Smokin hot. Maybe it was just the environment that she was in stood her apart.

This isn't fair because Bryce Dallas Howard is practically the only other woman in the movie and she was extremely pregnant.

This isn't fair because Bryce Dallas Howard is practically the only other woman in the movie and she was extremely pregnant.

That thought also occurred to me after posting. I kinda went "Oh! Duh!"

Just saw it.

Loved it. Really don't have any review skills whatsoever, but to sum it up, it was 10X better than the impression i got from minimadman.

Was it as good as Star Trek? IMO no, but it's not to far away from being it.

I've seen three "summer movies" so far, and I can easily compare them to last year's movies.

Terminator has the Hulk/Hellboy 2 appeal. (Awesome movie, but there are just a few a little more awesome)

Star Trek has the Ironman appeal (but can also compare to Dark Knight, as it is so far the best "action" movie of the summer).

Wolverine has the Indiana Jones appeal. Meaning you go into the theater thinking it will be decent, but you come out feeling violated by the movie studio that made the movie.

So yeah, I liked Terminator. :yes:

Edited by the punisher=D

Wow, I'm apparently in the minority of those who liked Wolverine. It wasn't the best thing ever, granted, but it wasn't the horrible abomination that X3 was.

As for Terminator, I enjoyed it. I liked the homages to past films (let's leave it at that).

Wow, I'm apparently in the minority of those who liked Wolverine. It wasn't the best thing ever, granted, but it wasn't the horrible abomination that X3 was.

As for Terminator, I enjoyed it. I liked the homages to past films (let's leave it at that).

Don't worry, I'm in a minority too. I liked Indana Jones and the KOTCS.

Was it as good as Star Trek? IMO no, but it's not to far away from being it.

I've seen three "summer movies" so far, and I can easily compare them to last year's movies.

Terminator has the Hulk/Hellboy 2 appeal. (Awesome movie, but there are just a few a little more awesome)

First and foremost Terminator: Salvation (whcih I will be refering to as T:S) is lightyears away from being half the movie that Star Trek is. This movie had no heart. Pun intended. Everyone was going through the motions in order to collect their checks with the exception of Anton Yelchin who turned in his 2nd great performance of the summer. The only interesting character was Kyle and that was only because of the approach of Yelchin. I can almost forgive the comparison to Hulk because there were problems in that movie as well but Hellboy 2 would wipe it's ass with T:S. The major thing that sets Hellboy apart from T:S is character developement. With the the exception of Yelchin there is not one single character properly developed in T:S. They try but it does not come off. There are at the very least 4 or 5 of the main characters in the movie that are completely worthless and if all of their scenes were edited out of the movie I doubt that you would even notice.

Wolverine has the Indiana Jones appeal. Meaning you go into the theater thinking it will be decent, but you come out feeling violated by the movie studio that made the movie.

I agree with the studio being responsible for making Wolverine into a mediocre movie. While I liked KOTCS because there were genuine Indiana Jones moments in it, there were problems but it was nothing that the studio did. Spielberg and Lucas made the movie that they set out to make, and like the Star Wars prequel trilogy Indiana Jones suffered from the poor story development that has become the trademark of George Lucas.

Just saw it.

Loved it. Really don't have any review skills whatsoever, but to sum it up, it was 10X better than the impression i got from minimadman.

This next bit is not said in any sort of derogatory manner, but you are very young. I went to see Terminator 2 in theaters when I was 13 and it blew my mind. To call Terminator 3 a letdown is an understatement. When the cast came together for this movie it was awesome. The trailers and all the advertising is awesome. I tried to keep my standards low but it the more they showed the harder it became to do so. It looked as if the feeling that I had as a youth was going to return and with it a great franchise. I compare it to how a lot of people felt when the Star Wars prequels came out, there had been years and years of anticipation only to be left with a hollow feeling. T:S could have been great but this is yet another case of style over substance.

I am certainly not trying to come down on you Punisher, you like everyone else is entitled to your opinion, it was the comparisons that kind of set me off. Like I said I didn't think that it was unwatchable, but it is not in the same league as T2, or Hellboy 2.

[/rant]

If you might allow me to chime in here for a moment, Madman, I believe part of your problem, and everyone elses problem with T:S stemmed from the fact that this is NOT a Terminator movie. There is no robot sent back in time to kill John. Judgment day has happened. That lumps this out of the Horror genre and into the Alien Invasion genre. You were expecting T4 and you got T:S. This is just a guess as to why you didn't like it, and I could easily be wrong. You just mentioned liking T2 is all.

And for the record, you're gona hate me, but I'd rank them T1, T3, T4 and T2. I HATED T2 so much. I still can't watch it without screaming at the TV at the logistical errors. I liked T3 because it was a new kind of beast. It was like the Terminator novels: different. Not T1 and T2. The time line was altered irreparably. T4 was right up there with the same story, but again, like T3 it wasn't the same. Less Terminator, more Mad Max meets the Matrix.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

If you might allow me to chime in here for a moment, Madman, I believe part of your problem, and everyone elses problem with T:S stemmed from the fact that this is NOT a Terminator movie. There is no robot sent back in time to kill John. Judgment day has happened. That lumps this out of the Horror genre and into the Alien Invasion genre.

That's like saying that because the Star Wars prequels didn't have Han Solo in them that they were not Star Wars movies. Let's go through the check list.

1.) Killer robots. Check

2.) Killer robots are out to destroy someone in order to destroy the resistance. Check

3.) At least one of the aforementioned killer robots is wearing the visage of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Check

4.) Constant banter about the future. Check

5.) The line "Come with me if you want to live." is spoken. Check

Saying that this is not a Terminator movie is letting it off of the hook for being mediocre. I would hardly classify any of the Terminator movies as horror, they are scifi. Would you consider Robocop horror? It is also not alien invasion. They aren't aliens. They did not invade, they were created by humans. The fact that there was no time travel and Judgment Day had occurred is inconsequential. How about Terminators actively hunting someone so that they can derail the resistance. That does sound oddly failure. Just because it's Kyle Reese in this movie not John Connor does not make it not a Terminator movie.

And for the record, you're gona hate me, but I'd rank them T1, T3, T4 and T2. I HATED T2 so much. I still can't watch it without screaming at the TV at the logistical errors. I liked T3 because it was a new kind of beast. It was like the Terminator novels: different. Not T1 and T2. The time line was altered irreparably. T4 was right up there with the same story, but again, like T3 it wasn't the same. Less Terminator, more Mad Max meets the Matrix.

I don't care that you don't like T2. Although I am curious as to why you think that T3 was so different. It wasn't. It certainly fit all of you criteria for a "Terminator" movie. T2 is the movie that altered the time line.

I don't care that you don't like T2. Although I am curious as to why you think that T3 was so different. It wasn't. It certainly fit all of you criteria for a "Terminator" movie. T2 is the movie that altered the time line.

The third one was different. It had breasts. Breasts makes everything different.

That being said, I thought the third one was the weakest of the series. Magic cars that drive themselves? A liquid metal T-X with a solid interior? How can she change shape if she has a solid interior? Ignoring all that, they neutered the best part of the film, when the T-800 is turned evil, by having the problem resolve itself in a matter of moments. It would have been far better if they had beaten the T-X with the whole magnet thing, only to have the T-800 show up and start to whoop John's ass. The final battle would have brought everything full circle with a T-800 trying to eliminate John Connor. There certainly would have been more emotion involved when John has to bring Arnold down.

Speaking of emotions regarding John and Arnold, in Terminator Salvation,

is anyone else put off that John didn't seem to show a heck of a lot of emotion when he opened that door in Skynet and found a T-800 waiting for him instead of Kyle Reese? I realize that Arnold only granted likeness rights and that he wasn't actually in the movie, but still, John could have had a few moments of disorientation and hesitation before launching right to the shooting with the grenade launcher and everything.

The third one was different. It had breasts. Breasts makes everything different.

That being said, I thought the third one was the weakest of the series. Magic cars that drive themselves? A liquid metal T-X with a solid interior? How can she change shape if she has a solid interior? Ignoring all that, they neutered the best part of the film, when the T-800 is turned evil, by having the problem resolve itself in a matter of moments. It would have been far better if they had beaten the T-X with the whole magnet thing, only to have the T-800 show up and start to whoop John's ass. The final battle would have brought everything full circle with a T-800 trying to eliminate John Connor. There certainly would have been more emotion involved when John has to bring Arnold down.

Speaking of emotions regarding John and Arnold, in Terminator Salvation,

is anyone else put off that John didn't seem to show a heck of a lot of emotion when he opened that door in Skynet and found a T-800 waiting for him instead of Kyle Reese? I realize that Arnold only granted likeness rights and that he wasn't actually in the movie, but still, John could have had a few moments of disorientation and hesitation before launching right to the shooting with the grenade launcher and everything.

See, that is my BIGGEST problem with T2. How the bloody heck for a T-1000 work? It's a ROBOT! It needs pistons, and processors, and mech fluid, and optic sensors. How could it even talk?! The thing is living metal for crying out loud. It can shrink to millimeters id diameter.

The TX solved those problems for me. It IS a robot. The frame has all the parts. The liquid outside is for disguise only. Still doesn't sold both the TX and T-1000 problems of how they traveled back in time if they're liquid metal. What, did they wrap them in meat? However the T-1000 got back, I assume the TX did the same thing. At least it wasn't like SCC with random metal heads time traveling.

I liked T3 for several reasons. Skynet is not the same as 1 and 2. That future no longer exists. The only connection Arnold has to T2 Arnold is from what Sarah told him. I like that Judgment day happened. And I like that 11 years later Skynet has updated (from the new future) and is no longer a machine, but rather software. That's how the cars fould drive themselves, Drgn. They had skynet inside their own computers.

Saw it today. It was good, but by no far means great. Like many of the more popular online reviewers, I agree that it lacked that something special. It stands apart from the other 3 movies and is by far the wekest of the bunch (IMO). A great concept for a fourth movie, but it just lacked at times. Like many have said, it was M'EH.

See, that is my BIGGEST problem with T2. How the bloody heck for a T-1000 work? It's a ROBOT! It needs pistons, and processors, and mech fluid, and optic sensors. How could it even talk?! The thing is living metal for crying out loud. It can shrink to millimeters id diameter.

The TX solved those problems for me. It IS a robot. The frame has all the parts. The liquid outside is for disguise only. Still doesn't sold both the TX and T-1000 problems of how they traveled back in time if they're liquid metal. What, did they wrap them in meat? However the T-1000 got back, I assume the TX did the same thing. At least it wasn't like SCC with random metal heads time traveling.

I liked T3 for several reasons. Skynet is not the same as 1 and 2. That future no longer exists. The only connection Arnold has to T2 Arnold is from what Sarah told him. I like that Judgment day happened. And I like that 11 years later Skynet has updated (from the new future) and is no longer a machine, but rather software. That's how the cars fould drive themselves, Drgn. They had skynet inside their own computers.

So you had a problem with the T1000 being liquid metal but not with the fact that a computer sent a machine back in time to kill someone? I think that is why they call it science fiction. You can't square to the fact that if machines can discover time travel then they can find a why to transport inorganic material. In order to really enjoy works of fiction such as movies, books, comics, and things of that nature we must employ something called the suspension of disbelief. Give it a shot the next time you watch T2.

So you had a problem with the T1000 being liquid metal but not with the fact that a computer sent a machine back in time to kill someone? I think that is why they call it science fiction. You can't square to the fact that if machines can discover time travel then they can find a why to transport inorganic material. In order to really enjoy works of fiction such as movies, books, comics, and things of that nature we must employ something called the suspension of disbelief. Give it a shot the next time you watch T2.

There's a thing called intrinsic logic. A universe can make it's own rules up, but it MUST play by those rules. Otherwise the entire work of fiction is considered forfeit. Continuity errors, plot holes. Ever heard of these things? They fly in the face of the workings of that universe. Living tissue can only go through time. A Terminator is a machine with moving parts. I mean, why didn't Skynet send back The Blob with a chip in it's squishy insides. That I could have bought.

Look past your childhood and see the errors for what they are. Ignorable? Sure. Is it still a good movie? yes. But it has problems, and for me at least, they are a major detraction.

There's a thing called intrinsic logic. A universe can make it's own rules up, but it MUST play by those rules. Otherwise the entire work of fiction is considered forfeit. Continuity errors, plot holes. Ever heard of these things? They fly in the face of the workings of that universe. Living tissue can only go through time. A Terminator is a machine with moving parts. I mean, why didn't Skynet send back The Blob with a chip in it's squishy insides. That I could have bought.

Look past your childhood and see the errors for what they are. Ignorable? Sure. Is it still a good movie? yes. But it has problems, and for me at least, they are a major detraction.

My point was that if Skynet could conceive time travel then surely through technological discovery they could find ways around the initial limitations of the discovery.

I am certainly not trying to come down on you Punisher, you like everyone else is entitled to your opinion, it was the comparisons that kind of set me off. Like I said I didn't think that it was unwatchable, but it is not in the same league as T2, or Hellboy 2.

[/rant]

I guess I just have an open-minded taste for movies (I loved "The Spirit" :yes:). I'd say that 8/10 movies I watch I enjoy.

And yeah, I can call myself very young, so movies I have been mainly exposed to are definitely different than you have seen throughout the years. (Although, I saw Toxic Avenger today, not many 15 year-olds have seen that movie :P)

I haven't seen HB:2 since it came out in theatres, maybe I should re-watch is? :D