UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

My *shudder* Barbies...

So I was at Tuesday Morning this afternoon, and They apparently had just gotten a truck in, being Tuesday and all. And they had 2 Black Canary Barbies there for $20. And I've just about broken down enough to go back and get one if not both of them. TRU had Wonder Woman, but at $42 I'll wait till she hits Tuesday Morning.

I've bought 12" dolls before, but just something about them being Barbies just makes me want to shrivel up and die.

Thoughts? Comments? Snide remarks? Anyone want to trade a spare BC for WW or Batgirl? :P

My wife actually collects this and a few other Barbie lines, but I think I'm the one that will be getting this one ;) I also have a Charles Angel Lucy Lui doll. True story, we were out of town and I almost dislocated my wife's shoulder when I saw this out of the corner of my eye at a Spencer's Gift :lol:

I bought the woman here a Barbie Mary Poppins, and she does make for a great victim. I have actually considered buying one for myself, decapitating her, and putting the head on an articulated 1/6 body like Sideshow or something and trying to do a custom "Emily." But, this is kind of disturbing, and a slippery slope. Its bad enough that I collect children's toys as a hobby. Actually buying a Barbie doll for myself seems like it would be crossing some sort of line. Having what are essentially "Ken" dolls of Jason Voorhees is OK, but getting a Barbie doll. . .I don't know. I don't like having to think of myself as that "kind of person," whatever that is. :D

For her 50th there is a Barbie modeled after our chancellor Angela Merkel.

BR-online-Publikation--288288-2009021009

The likeness is staggering!

I propose we dub this "The Embarrassingly Girly Thread!" :lol:

(I own two Barbies, neither of them of the overtly geeky variety :( However one of them has caused a stir at the time of their release, being one of the few Barbies ever released with Asian characteristics...)

For her 50th there is a Barbie modeled after our chancellor Angela Merkel.

BR-online-Publikation--288288-2009021009

The likeness is staggering!

Yes, I was totally stunned myself when I first saw her.

I mean, even the measurements are just perfect:

06-angela-merkel-und-wladimir-putin,prop

(Note: she's the one on the right.)

I like our chancellor and her politics just as much as I want to own a Barbie.

Or maybe a goiter.

Wow, BHM. That femminazi webpage is scary...

I actually own a few that I've never opened. Mary Jane wedding, Sue Storm, Elektra. I thought about buying the Batgirl w/ bike for a long long time before I passed. Hindsight being 20/20... well, you know how that goes.

I haven't actually played with Barbies since my sister was little. My favorite was Gymnast Whitney (pervs) because of her level of articulation. (pervs again) I mean, she was practically an action figure rather than a Barbie! (do I even need to say it?) She was Squirrel Girl and she fought against the evil Frog Woman, along with her trusty also-gymnast sidekicks. Seriously, I couldn't make this up if I tried.

Anyone remember that pregnant Barbie a while back that special interest groups got so rialed up about?

I also saw an honest to goodness procline Barbie at TM. I didn't even know they made those.

Whoops, did I just derail this thread with politics? :stick:

Anyway I'm not really a Barbie collector, the two I own are only leftovers from my sister's onetime obsession with them. Honestly I'm really underwhelmed by this line... I was never a fan of their size and meh articulation and I think they are now a little past their glory days when they didn't have to make up a new CGI movie every few months to boost sales. I'm still mighty proud of the ones I "kept" though... I kinda love the absurdity of owning a Harajuku girl-ish schoolgirl Barbie with her very own karaoke machine :P

(skrull youknowwho) Hey, don't take my word for it... blame Leinil Yu instead :lol:

Edited by NorthRaider

It was only later in the day (today) that I realised that not only did I own a Barbie ...I own two...& not only do I own two Barbies ....I own two Kens :ohmy::ermm:

I used to collect X-files er....er..crap...everything that moved with an X-Files logo . There was a Barbie & Ken /Mulder & Scully box-set which was withdrawn almost immediately & a second pair were then released.

I have both sets hidden away amongst the 'conglomeration' & I genuinely had forgotten them ....which is fairly easy!

'Poppins ' was the line that you crossed. Poppins deserves to be a victim .....I have been her 'victim' for years & as for Dick Van F*cking Dick my only 'Diagnosis' would be bloody 'Murder'...... :angry:

As a child, I simply thought that was how the British spoke :lol:

Thanks for the support guys :pinch: The closest I've come to the Ken doll is some of his clothes. I used to joke in the toy aisle with my wife about my GI Joes wearing Ken's clothes and driving his car while he was out of town on business :lol: Up until recently, my wife collected the Disney and Superhero Barbies and a few odds and ends, but the prices have cooled her heels a bit. Anyway, it's nice to know both Dino and I have the support of the board and won't be judged because we play with dolls :woot:

Edited by The_Donster