UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Mattel Minimates?

MisterPL

It occurs to me that DC's hands are tied by the Mattel contract: They can't offer DC Minimates through DCD because it isn't profitable and they can't license the property because Mattel's agreement already covers the action figure category.

Mattel could do the same thing DCD did; use DST/AA as a vendor (just like Four Horsemen) and offer DC Minimates, but instead of only being able to distribute to the specialty market, they could hit the mass market like DST has with Marvel. My biggest concern once might have been character selection but given the variety they've offered in the DCUC, DCIH, and JLU lines, I don't think that's a problem.

Clearly Mattel wants a lower pricepoint action figure on the market. Their Infinite Heroes line is struggling at retail. Maybe instead of badgering DCD, we should petition Mattel to give Minimates a try.

Thoughts?

Frankly that scares me. With all the complaining I see on the boards about Mattel's distribution, case-packs, etc. I would be hesitant to let them touch my beloved Minimates. (Like I'd actually have any say in this situation. :) )

When I heard Mattel was making Ghostbusters toys I was ambivalent. I've wanted good, modern GB stuff for a while, but the complaints about Mattel could prevent me from jumping in. Then DST said they'd be making Ghostbusters Minimates and it no longer mattered.

Now I can't speak from first-hand experience as I collect hardly any Mattel stuff. All the complaints might just be coming from a few folks with a grudge, I don't know. Nevertheless, letting Mattel have any control in Minimates is frightening to me.

I’m all for it if they can give me all the Batman’s and Superman’s I want and for the longevity of Minimates in general. However, I just shudder to think if an SDCC exclusive comes up. The jumping through hoops to get into the horrendous line for HasbroToyShop is enough for me. But maybe we should try hounding them at SDCC instead of DCD… Maybe… Keep finding those loopholes in the contract, PL!

Interesting...That doesn't sound like a bad idea to me since like other's have said, it would mean that they would be easily avaiable to the mass market unlike the previous DC line which failed mainly because of that.

Also the Batman:Brave and the Bold cartoon helps peek interest into the DC Universe with all the different characters.

When I watch it I can't help but pull out some of my DC Minimates.

Edited by A.J.V.

I know what you mean. Everytime I watch Spiderman I pull out a couple of my Minimates and play out the fight scenes...

Does that make me a wierd person? :(

I don't know, but I suppose it's better than playing with your SM3 mates when your watching 'Steel Magnolias'. That'd make you weird for sure.

...or playing with 'Steel Magnolia' 'mates when watching SM3. That would be wierder...

I'd be ALL over this! I started re-collecting JLU figures about 3 months ago just to fill the void left by DC Minimates. They are drastically expanding that line and I dig it... tho quality is awful and some of the 6 pack distribution has been crazy... they are still easier to find than Minis have been from time to time.

They just repainted Sinestro from the JLU version and made him the Sinestro Corps version.. it made me want a Light Wars box set with Red, Blue, Yellow and Green lanterns... I would buy cases and cases of these if it were a reality.

I hope for anything or anyone that could bring back any DC Minis in any way.. I don't really care who or how.. I would import them from Mongolia if that were the only option.

Truth.

I know what you mean. Everytime I watch Spiderman I pull out a couple of my Minimates and play out the fight scenes...

Does that make me a wierd person? :(

I can understand the urge to pull something out whilst watching some movies but doing so with 'Spider-man' is perhaps weird :ermm: