Danny

Did you like the C3 concept?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the C3 concept?

• Yes, it added to the Minimates themselves
    • No, really only wanted the Minimates
    • Wasn't interested in C3 or the Minimates at all

Hi all,

Just curious, now that we are several years on from Playalong's foray into the construction block arena with C3 , what you all thought of it.

I had always been into LEGO from an early age and so I reviewed everything C3 that came out (apart from the regular Batwing, as I'd already done the Stealth Batwing review), and had a lot of fun with the majority of the sets. It was nice to get properly-scaled playsets and vehicles as the majority of LEGO and Mega Bloks was scaled for figures slightly smaller than our beloved Minimates. The C3 concept worked best when it wasn't tacked on - I still think the BatCycle and Street Justice Batman set worked so well as a theme together.

I would have loved to see C3 taken as a concept for some of the other lines. I remember ages back there was talk of C3 horse and rider sets for the Lord of the Rings Minimates which would have been cool.

I'm kinda asking this cos my head is full of Ghostbusters C3 ideas at the moment after the announcement of that licence, might do a separate topic for that :)

A final question - does anyone know if Playalong or Art Asylum owned the C3 brand? If it was Playalong, what happened to them and would it be possible to bring it back in any capacity? Just curious - I know it's as dead a horse as the Street Fighter 'Mates!

Please post your memories of C3 and what you did or didn't like about it.

My favourite line & I am continually gob-smacked that items like Stealth-Wing Exclusives sell for almost nothing on ebay whilst other supposedly 'rare' stuff commands the big buck. BSG cried out loud for C3 Vipers & Raiders & we wouldn't be discussing BSG's demise if they had been produced although it's perhaps too late now.

I am still trying to get the batcopter and batcycle :(

Don't fret I have enough for everybody ;)

My favourite line & I am continually gob-smacked that items like Stealth-Wing Exclusives sell for almost nothing on ebay whilst other supposedly 'rare' stuff commands the big buck. BSG cried out loud for C3 Vipers & Raiders & we wouldn't be discussing BSG's demise if they had been produced although it's perhaps too late now.

I am still trying to get the batcopter and batcycle :(

Don't fret I have enough for everybody ;)

that makes me a sad panda :(

I don't think I have anything that you want that I could possibly swap :(

One of the problems i saw with C3 was that some of the sets just seemed a bit forced (riddler mini flyer!) and seemed like an expensive way for us to buy mates. not to mention they seemed to have the same problem most batman figures have ....a million variations of the bat suit most of which he never wore . Although i agree with dan vipers would have saved BSG and i may have even bought a C3 ecto1 :)

I completely agree with Gledzee. I think the concept worked, but I don't think it was well executed. The over-abundance of those dumb little miniflyers killed it. Some larger sets look cool, but the miniflyers not so much. For DC miniflyers didn't make sense. Now, BSG, on the other hand, could really benefit from mini-Vipers, Raptors, and Raiders. Maybe a CIC or flight-bay set too. But C3 sets only work where they make sense. So what makes sense? Viper? Yes. Batwing? Yes. ST Shuttlecraft? Yes. Delorian? Yes. Ecto-1? Yes. Riddler's magical jet with big weird balls on the wings? No.

I say bring on more C3 vehicles and environments, but only if they make sense.

Edited by Turtle

I picked them up for the Mates, but I'll eventually put the C3 togethers. I wish DCD would reconsider the line though, it showed some promise. Thanks for the poll Danny.

As cool as the minimates that came with the sets were themselves, I actually thought the C3 sets were something of a godsend given that I don't have the budget to collect Legos. I'll admit that the batman variations and the random miniflyers were pretty strenuous, but I'm glad they produced such cool vehicles like the Batcycle and Batcopter, and it would've been nice if they released that big prototype Javelin too :(

If I had to have one fond C3 wish, it's that they produced as many "place" playsets as they did vehicles. I'm stymied that after all those sets the only ones we can build an actual building out of are the Chemical Warehouse, Throne Room and Batcave. (I saw the old pics for that larger prototype of the Chemical Warehouse, and it BUUUUUUUURNS!) I wonder if Playalong/AA ever attempted a Watchtower set...

I didn't care for C3 building blocks at first, but it grew on me as I acquired the sets. The Batcave is marvelous with the Minimate artwork on the pieces. The Mini-Flyers were the weakest offering and I suspect their only purpose was to deliver Minimates.

I have since purchased some Prototype C3 pieces on Ebay - primarily the full size Javelin pieces. Sadly, some of the unique pieces broke in transit (I can fix with superglue). At some point in the distant future, I intend to cast resin replicas and offer some as contest prizes at MMHQ. I'm sure more than one collector on the boards here would like a replica full size C3 Javelin.

I'm sure more than one collector on the boards here would like a replica full size C3 Javelin.

Absolutely. If it is actually 'full-size' could you accomodate my 6'2" ,15 stone ,rather-toned ,muscular frame?

If so ,you have your first order :D Cheers Flasheadsmate .

I agree that BSG would benefit from C3. I also wish Professor X could have a proper wheelchair.

Fully inflatable tyres are a 'must-have'.

I agree that BSG would benefit from C3. I also wish Professor X could have a proper wheelchair.

Fully inflatable tyres are a 'must-have'.

No I meant the iconic yellow hover chair. It's still a wheelchair without wheels though XD

Absolutely. If it is actually 'full-size' could you accomodate my 6'2" ,15 stone ,rather-toned ,muscular frame?

If so ,you have your first order :D Cheers Flasheadsmate .

If, along with being 6'2" and muscular, you can contort your body into the size of a four 2" Minimates, then your order is on the way. However, I must insist you cut large circles into the bottoms of your feet. My full size Javelin only works with legal C3 feet. (Depending on your shoe size, you may need to also cut off your toes.)

Create. Construct. Contort.

I personally don't care too much for the C3 stuff beyond the figures. I like Minimate-compatible stuff, but I don't like the LEGO style of brick vehicle/diorama. I would much prefer something like the Sunstar Delorian-style vehicle for an Ecto-1 over a LEGO-type counterpart. I know Minimates are basically glorified LEGO-men in some ways, but I personally don't think they look good in LEGO-like vehicles and such.

I do love the C3 feet, though, because it makes stand-making much easier than it would otherwise be.

Edited by karamazov80

I gotta say, i was one for this line. Then again, i was a younger kid at the time, so seeing them in Tower Records when my Dad went to buy CDs was exciting. However, the minimates were always the biggest appeal with these, and all of the Minifliers just killed it.

I do think, however, that if they got out those Freeze, WW, Braniac, and GG fliers in time then the line might not have died as fast. fgor once it'd be a wave without a Supes or Bats.

I still want my Venus-flytrap Poison Ivy miniflier, though. :D

I'm off to slumber but the voting is going the obvious way...the way I would have voted until....I'd built the C3 kits ...especially the Batcave. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

Every Minimate fan should....yeah... should....have a Batcave. :yes:

The Batcave actually killed it for me. The colors were wrong, the pieces didn't stay together and it didn't come with Alfred.

The rest of the line (and associated mates) were all good and I enjoyed them well enough.

The Batcave actually killed it for me. The colors were wrong, the pieces didn't stay together and it didn't come with Alfred.

I'm still weirded out that the Batcave ended up with another Bruce Wayne instead of Alfred. You'd think a generic Minimate of an old guy in a tux would be easy to do, but then it was like they changed their minds at the last minute and put in that Bruce Wayne based on the cartoon, which sorta confuses the whole set. (The Batcave ALREADY came with a Batman variant.)

Anyone got an explanation for this?

I do love the C3 feet, though, because it makes stand-making much easier than it would otherwise be.

Yeah, I actually replaced all my old Minimate's feet with C3 feet just so they could stand up on all my Lego bases.

And the only C3's I picked up were the Batcycle and Batgirl Miniflier. I did have the Batcave, but I ended up giving it to my little brother who's a HUGE Lego fan.