UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

recommended readings

pickle

I have decided that I need to fill my bookcase with collected trades to satisfy my comic needs. I have started some series and bought a few trades I really like. Here is my list of planned to get books and runs I need to complete:

Marvel 1602 : all

Spider-man: Blue, Fairy Tales, Saga of the Sandman

Annihilation book 3 (the one I am missing)

Black widow : all

Dead of Night Featuring Man-Thing

Spider-man Loves Mary Jane Season 2 HC (duh, it's me:P)

Marvel Zombies HC (fifth printing)

Y the Last Man : rest of the volumes I am missing

Losers : all volumes

Arkham Asylum

Joker's Asylum

Most of these are stories / characters that mean a lot to me.

Now for the help I am looking for. I don't like x-men (at all) and am not big into DC besides their Vetigo and Arkham stuff. I am a big fan of Marvel's Galactus, Spidey, MJ, Sandman and really starting to enjoy Iron Man. DC's Supergirl, Darkseid and Arkham Asylum based stories. Also, I am avoiding important storyline books like civil war, House of M, 52, infinite Crisis and the such. I am more into miniseries and strange stories. I was thinking about putting Spider-man: reign, Harley Quinn: Preludes and Knock Knock Jokes, Alias / Pulse and other such titles on my list of books to get.

My question is, what would you reccomend I should read? Please give a little explaniation for your choices without giving away spoilers. Any help would be awesome.

pickle

P.S. I am willing to go beyond DC and Marvel if there are good indie trades.

If you want good DC stuff, let's look into some maxi and miniseries

The first absolute need in DC is Watchmen. It is considered by many (Myself included) to be the greatest graphic novel ever produced. It's a superhero murder mystery set in the Cold War and that's all I'm going to say until you read it

Second is Batman: The Long Halloween. You may not understand some of the references to Year One, but it's still an awesome book. Yet another Murder mystery as people who work for the Mob keep getting picked off on Holidays. It also tells the full saga of the fall of Harvey Dent. You'll notice some similarities to The Dark Knight. TDK borrowed some from The Long Halloween as did Batman Begins. Next to Watchmen, The Long Halloween is probably one of my favorite stories ever.

After that is the sequel to the Long Halloween, Batman: Dark Victory. This one is yet ANOTHER murder mystery (Cop Killer) but it involves Robin's origin as a side story.

Fourth: Kingdom Come. This is NOT a murder mystery. Instead, Kingdom Come is about the return of the Justice League to a world of amoral superhumans. Superman starts to imprison superhumans who do not join his league and Batman starts a rival one. Lex Luthor plays both sides against the middle with a final Superhuman Battle Royale. Awesome

Another Comic I've heard good things about is Superman: Red Son. Superman lands in Communist Russia instead of Kansas.

As for Marvel

Daredevil: Yellow is a retelling of his origin. Fun read even if you're like me, you think Daredevil is a Batman but Blind and poor.

The Irreedeemable Ant Man is like a miniseries as it was cancelled and it is very entertaining. There are two minitrades of it. Get them both.

Reign I've heard is not that good. A little disgusting, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I've had a chance to read it.

If I think of more, I'll give another shout-out. But that ought to keep you nice and entertained for a while as the first three of my suggestions are very re-readable and long to boot.

Trekker has some good recommendations. I would also suggest Superman: Secret Identity. It takes place in the real world, not the DC universe. It tells the story of a boy named Clark Kent, and everyone teases him about his name, since its the name of Superman in the comics and movies. But one day he discovers he can fly... I won't say any more than that, but it is an excellent off-beat story.

Planetary: Warren Ellis's brilliant riff on iconic comic and film characters and stories. This is the only comic book that ever gave me nightmares. Disturbing as all get out, but their take on "Crisis on Infinite Earths," Doc Savage, the Fantastic Four (and their interactions with Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern), Godzilla, etc. are really something to behold.

Walking Dead: Very good story about living in the post-zombie apocalypse. Fun, and dark.

Sandman (DC): Neil Gaiman initially wanted to provide a new take on an old, forgotten hero, but instead went somewhere completely different with this one, and created a modern comic masterpiece. Throw all expectations out the window here.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Tom Strong, and Top Ten: Three really great, recent works by Alan Moore. Alan Moore is the best comic writer there ever was, in my opinion, and as I've said before, everything I've read that he has written is pretty great. He also did the brilliant "Batman: Killing Joke" and "Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"

X-Men, run by Chris Claremont and John Byrne: You say you don't like X-Men, but I suspect is because you never read this--the absolute best, most iconic and influential run on the X-Men.

Fantastic Four, run by John Byrne: A lot of people have knocked John Byrne over the years, but I think his work in the 80s (including Superman) are really fun reads. Highly, highly influential, as well.

Wolverine: Mini-series

Punisher: Mini-series; Mike Zeck, really great little story

GI Joe (Marvel): first 50 issues or so--Larry Hama was a really great writer, who took a silly toy and turned it into a pretty terrific story, despite the restraints placed on him (he had to fit in certain characters and vehicles into given comics). After around issue 50, though, it takes a pretty sharp, downward turn. Hama also wrote many of the early GI Joe file cards.

Avengers: the late 90s/early 2000s series by Busiek and Perez--very good, fun Avengers story

New Teen Titans (early 80s): Marv Wolfman and George Perez taking these campy characters into a more serious, more interesting direction. Great stories there, and great characters. This is where Deathstroke comes from (also, check out these guys' work on Crisis on Infinite Earths)

JSA: The new stuff by Geoff Johns and David Goyer--just good writing and new takes on great, classic DC characters. Fun stuff

Excalibur: the early stuff by Chris Claremont/Alan Davis. Davis is my favorite artist, and this was a wacky story about mutants living in England. I really dug this group of characters--Nightcrawler, Captain Britain, Kitty Pryde, Meggan, Rachel Summers (Phoenix), and Lockheed.

And finally: Justice League/Justice League International: the strange story of Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Martian Manhunter, Guy Gardner, G'Nort, and other wacky, often less than heroic characters. Great, fun stuff. Probably my favorite take on the Justice League. I hate f$*king new DC for hating on this.

This should be a good place to start :)

Edited by karamazov80

Wow Karamazov 80 you must be what, about 35? You rattled off half my collection there! If you are going to try DC stuff I would recomend the Dark Knight stuff. Very heavy, not quick comic reading it takes a while, slows you down, plus it was pivitol (sp?!) in that it was the first "prestige format" book. As far as Iron Man, I have issue 1 through the Whilce Portacio stuff and for me Bob Layton created the pinacle classic IM. You should also check out theMcFarlane run of Amazing Spidey. I would also read the early Image stuff like Spawn, Wildstorm, Youngblood, etc. The story line might be a bit cliche but the artwork (in my opinion) is stunning. Personally I stopped collecting years ago, just got too expensive and frustrating trying to follow titles were starting and restarting over and over again trying to bring in new readers, kinda back fired I guess. Good luck, tell us whet you decide to get!

I wasn't into comics for a long time (I guess since the early 90ies) and started reading again in 2005, so there are some of recommendations listed here, I'm interested in as well. Here's what I suggest:

Trekker already mentioned it, but I'd like to bring this out again: go, read Watchmen, if you haven't.

Hellboy et. al., Mignola (Dark Horse): I really like the way this series is drawn and the way it deals with folklore and lovecraftian horror themes.

New Avengers, Bendis (Marvel): There are 7 volumes out there yet, dealing with the new assembled team. I really like that new team, because some of its members (Spidey, Wolverine, Cap, Sentry) are my favorite Marvel characters.

The Dark Knight returns, Miller (DC): I guess one of the groundbreaking Batman stories so far.

I'm just staring to read Superman: Red Son, which seems to be pretty nice and I'm also starting to read the things happening after Captain Americas dead, which seem to be pretty awesome as well.

I don't know, if you're into non-superhero comics as well, but if you are, here are some recommendations that came to mind:

I killed Adolf Hitler, Jason (Fantagraphics): A pretty short (sadly only 50 pages!) what-if story with fabolouse kind of humor about contract killers, time travelling and growing old.

Blankets, Thompson (Top Shelf): A just beautiful autobiographical (around 600 pages!) story about religion, growing up and love.

Persepolis, Satrapi (Pantheon): An autobiographical, very delightful, funny and intelligent story about the authors childhood and youth in Iran.

Désoeuvré, Trondheim (I guess Fantagraphics): An autobiographical (yes, I'm really into stuff like that!) journey of artist Trondheim himself, reflecting on getting old. Hilarious and melancholic, but I don't know if it's translated into english, yet.

Wow Karamazov 80 you must be what, about 35?

Not far from it :) I started reading comics really early, though, which is probably why I'm still into them (since early brain development "hard wires" a lot of our preferences and behavior for the rest of our lives)

I killed Adolf Hitler

This reminded me of one of the most critically acclaimed comics to come along in a while--MAUS. Very unsettling, though.

This reminded me of one of the most critically acclaimed comics to come along in a while--MAUS. Very unsettling, though.

Spiegelman, yes. A really tough book to read. Brilliant but tough. The I Killed Adolf Hitler thing is completely different, a-historic - you know, time-travelling and stuff - but also features those anthromorphic characters. I really like the calm mood of it.

I think thats a little unfair Shiz. I don't think what Tony did was wrong per se, though I did support Cap over him. Whatever side you're on, Civil War is a great read. As is World War Hulk.

Batman:Hush is also a great read, and well worth picking up.

just read hush really enjoyed it art was great for great DC i recommend green arrow year one

on a non super hero note read the graphic novel of i am legend by IDW based on the book not the film .....LOADS better

D'oh almost forgot Mage, both series, I think they're collected into single volumes. One pf my favorite reads, very much a King Arthur vibe. Kevin Matchstick rules! And while you're into Comico comics is Grendel, anything Matt Wagner pretty much. Even did a Grendel vs Batman by Matt, very much his own style, kinda catchy.

Marvel:

Runaways! Funny, smart, amazing art. By the same guy that wrote Y The Last Man -- at least the first 3 big hardcovers are... after that Joss Whedon takes over and kinda wrecks it, but the original series is almost perfect.

Nextwave. Funniest comic book ever, c-list heroes fighting supervillain terrorism.

The first trade of New Avengers is a lot of fun, with some great Spider-man lines. After that I thought the series kinda went off the rails until the Skrulls showed up.

DC:

A lot of Batman classics already mentioned in the thread, I'd say Year One is my fave. Batman: Year 100 is also cool and weird.

Weird:

We3. Kind of like that Disney movie Homeward Bound, except the dogs and cats have been bionically enchanced into military weapons.

Umbrella Academy. Royal Tenenbaums meets Justice League. The first chapter is titled "The Day The Eiffel Tower Went Beserk"

The Maxx. A homeless "superhero" fighting a "supervillain" serial rapist, to protect his social worker who may or may not be a jungle queen in an alternate life. Really weird, but funny, smart, etc etc...

I think thats a little unfair Shiz. I don't think what Tony did was wrong per se, though I did support Cap over him. Whatever side you're on, Civil War is a great read. As is World War Hulk.

I may have been a little harsh with my opinion of Stark, but that's just the way I felt as I read through and my overall impression once I finished. I'm sure others may feel the complete opposite but that's what I loved about this book. You will have to choose a side, or even end up changing your mind about who you support by the end.

Wow, thanks guys. I did read a couple issues of Runaways once and really liked them, I might have to pick them up after I finish my main list. Also, Walking Dead always peaked my interest, but never got around to reading it. Same goes with Hush. Thanks again guys, I will look into a lot of those listed.

i'd say watchmen and the batman stuff mentioned are pretty definitive... great stuff indeed

thought i'd mention a few i've enjoyed fairly recently, all pretty cheap and easy to get hold of:

'Marvels'

Superman: Birthright

World War Hulk

Green Lantern: Rebirth

... '52' and 'Cable & Deadpool' also get thumbs up from me

i'd say watchmen and the batman stuff mentioned are pretty definitive... great stuff indeed

thought i'd mention a few i've enjoyed fairly recently, all pretty cheap and easy to get hold of:

'Marvels'

Can't believe I forgot this one.

If you don't know, it's the everyman's view of the Marvel BS with 4 major events seen through the eyes of a photographer. The events are: The creation of the Original Human Torch and the subsequent fight with the Sub-Mariner, Mutant Mania and the first flight of the Sentinels, The Coming of Galactus, and the death of Gwen Stacey. There are other events seen but in very hurried fashion, such as the first fight between the Avengers and Baron Zemo's original Masters of Evil. It's a fun read and the best one is issue #1 with the Torch vs The Sub-Mariner.

I'll play. I used to be a Weekly Comic reader, but after a wife and kid (and another on the way), I've decided to stick with picking up only really good Trades here and there. I am going to list all I would recommend, although some will be repeats!

Marvel (Ongoing)

Captain American (HC) - I've never liked one Captain America book, until he died! I would recommend that you start back at Brubaker's first issues (don't remember the name of the trade). However, if you didn't want to go back that far you could start at "Death of Captain America Volume 1". Volume 2 is out and Volume 3 comes out this month. This is probably the best Marvel book being written right now and it has completely turned me into a Cap fan, no matter who's holding the shield!

Thor (HC) - Again, another character that I've never liked until Milar wrote him in Ultimates. But, the relauch with Starzinski (can't spell his name, we'll just call him J Michael!) has been GREAT! Volume 1 is out and I believe that Volume 2 is due out this month!

Ultimate Spider Man (TPB) - Still the jewel of the Ultimate collection and what I believe to be the definitive run of Spider-Man. When I think of Spider-Man, this is the Spider-Man that I think of. I don't think anyone will ever write Spider-Man again as good as Bendis has. As long as he keeps writing the books, I'll keep buying them!

Invicible Iron Man (HC) - Just a few months ago, hot off the movie, Marvel launched a new Iron Man book that is now his stand alone. As my favorite Marvel hero it was great to see, but even better to read. The writting is wonderful! The art leaves some to be desired, but the story more than makes up for it. I'd say if you are interested in Iron Man at all, pick it up. The first HC is available this month!

DC (Ongoing)

Green Lantern (HC) - This is the best and only DC book that I read. Like you I'm not a huge DC fan but I've always loved the GL mythos. But Johns has taken what is cool about the story and made it outstanding. Honestly, I started reading GL when Kyle took over and I have NEVER liked Hal. Until now, I can totally see now why everyone loves Hal, heck, I love Hal. The writing is amazing, the art is wonderful and the history of the Lanterns has never been more accessable. It may be my favorite ongoing book, period!

Green Lantern Corps (HC) - Only if you really get into GL, I would say go ahead and pick up Corps. Again, I read it because I'm a GL fan and the books is pretty good. It's not amazing like the core GL book, but it's a nice background addition that's normally fun to read.

Fables <Vertigo> (TPB) - If there is one book that would rival GL as my must read, it's Fables. I'm WAY late to the ball game, but it's probably one of my favorite books of all time. They are only issue 76 or 77 right now and I'm only on volume 4 but I can't wait to catch up. The writing is fantastic and the art is fitting and I can't put that book down, I would say it's a must read!

One Shots

Kingdom Come (DC) - Again, one of the best Justice League stories ever with a great climax!

Batman: The Long Halloween/The Killing Joke (DC) - These two books are my favorite Batman stories ever. Hush looks amazing and I have a huge crush on Jim Lee's art, but the story was lacking. Both Halloween and Joke take their story seriously and make a huge statment with the Batman mythos.

Civil War (Marvel) - A must read for any fan of Marvel. In fact, if you care to follow any of the ongoing trades (Cap, Iron Man, Thor, etc) it would be worth your investment to read this book. It's a good one!

Watchmen (Virtigo) - What can I say that hasn't been said, held as one of, if not the BEST Trade ever, just read it!

All-Star Superman (HC) - Much like Cap, I've never been a Superman fan, but this is one of the best Superman stories that I've ever read. It took me a little while to get into it, but once I bought into the story it paid off.

Marvels (TPB) - Sure, it may seem like anything Alex Ross touches turns to gold, but that's because it does :). This is one of the definitive stories of the Marvel Universe and one on my personal favorite trades!

Well, I hope that helps. Enjoy!! neo

I also recommend some of the earliest Marvel stuff--mostly written by Stan Lee, and with great artists like Ditko, Kirby, and John Romita, Sr., this is obviously the basis for everything else, but is also often quite good. With all the incredibly derivative crap coming out nowadays, it is really refreshing every once in a while to go back to the source, when things were new and interesting.

And regarding Captain America, the work in the late 70s/early 80s with Mike Zeck as artist are really great. I bought them exclusively for the art, and they are worth it for that alone, but the stories are also not bad. About what you would expect from that time period, but an easy, pleasant way to spend your time if you don't want to take the time/effort to read an "actual" book or something.

I think that Kingdom Come and Marvels are really over-rated as stories (wacky novelty stories, really), but the art is top notch. I buy just about anything that Ross does, purely for the art.

Edited by karamazov80

I also recommend some of the earliest Marvel stuff--mostly written by Stan Lee, and with great artists like Ditko, Kirby, and John Romita, Sr., this is obviously the basis for everything else, but is also often quite good. With all the incredibly derivative crap coming out nowadays, it is really refreshing every once in a while to go back to the source, when things were new and interesting.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. And if you want some of the original stuff, I recommend Marvel Essentials. They may be in Black and White, but they're the cheapest way to get a lot of the old comics. And it comes with quite a few issues in there, at least 20 per book. I've got a lot of early Chris Clairmont X-Men (The second-greatest X-Men era, next to Lee's original and the one that gave us DST/'s favorite mutant ever.) in these books which still entertain me. I love these freaking things, I swear.