UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

A lurker finally comes out of hiding

Hello all, let me introduce myself.

I'm a college student from Manila, Philippines, who has just recently gotten (back) into toy collecting this year. I started out collecting Stikfas, which has become my "gateway drug" into other toys like urban vinyl (i.e. Bearbricks and those crazy-priced Kidrobot minis) and block figures.

I discovered Minimates just a few months ago (sometime around April, I think), through a choice link to a fascinating-looking post on the incomparable Minimate Headquarters (specifically the entry lamenting Minimate Ghost Rider's lack of an official Hellcycle). My interest was definitely piqued, but since Minimates are oh-so tragically hard to find here (damn Superhero Squad epidemic!). I was THIS close to putting the little guys out of my mind forever. Thank God I never did.

I bought my first Minimates, the movie Spiderman and New Goblin two-pack, sometime around August I think. I had no intentions of becoming a completist, but it was still surprising how quickly this newfound obsession spiralled out of control for me. As of now I own 21 Minimates (with two more coming in the mail, and at least eight further up in the horizon), and I have fallen in love with each and every of 'em. Mind you, I was never a comic book-reader: I am one of those people who have stumbled upon a cool-looking toy, and wound up being pulled into the entire freakin' Marvel Universe. Now my family probably thinks I'm a total comic book nerd, despite me owning exactly one bonafide graphic novel (Watchmen, which I'm in the middle of reading right now... and yes, I want them in Minimate form too).

So despite my being a student still living with my parents with limited funds at my disposal, still I shoulder on with the Minimate obsession. I started lurking the Multiverse just last month I think, but after reading through a lot of your old threads (and lousy puns) I feel like I know you guys already. Yes, I was lurking this forum when pics of the IM movie mates first came out AND during the beautiful bedlam that was Minimate Week. Yes, I was delirious with joy when they announced future Minimates of Deadpool, Gambit and Psylocke. And YES, it was the irresistable prospect of a sneak peek of that much-coveted Deadpool Minimate that finally drove me to sign up for the Multiverse, so sue me.

I only hope you would welcome me and my elusive lurker ways into your community, and forgive me for this absurdly long first post (I'm a Lit major, I can't help it :tongue: ).

Once again, salutations to all and Viva La Minimate!

Thanks plenty for the warm welcome guys! Am looking forward to participating actively in future forum discussions soon!

Personally I'm only a little concerned on whether my allowance would accomodate comics as well as Minimates, though I have always been intrigued by them ever since I was little... Given the opportunity (and the funds), I'd perhaps like to take a stab at reading Avengers Disassembled, House of M and Civil War first, but if you guys can suggest any other essential reading for Marvel then I'm open to suggestions!

Welcome to the Multiverse. I've heard of Manila !

Is that where all the envelopes are made....... or the ice-cream ?

On the envelopes, I think that has something to do with the material they were originally made of, which is indigenous to the Philippines. As for the ice cream... well I dunno what you're talking about exactly, but we do have really yummy, affordable ice cream here sold in street carts (called, curiously, "dirty ice cream"). And if you ask the vendor nicely, he might even serve it to you in a hotdog bun! Not kidding.

So far I'm up to Chapter 10... May not exactly seem like groundbreaking material story-wise, but to quote another forum post it's kinda like the Citizen Kane of contemporary superhero comics: along with The Dark Knight, Watchmen could very well be the one that started it all.

Seems like any scene with Rorschach in it is 37 kinds of awesome... such a cool, gritty character, easy to see why he's a fan favorite. Personally though I'm struck by how underrated the second Nite Owl was: he may seem like an incredibly dull character at first, but of the "Watchmen" he seems to be the most realistic and humanised of them all.

Edited by NorthRaider

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm back, boys!

Okay, I've mostly relegated myself back to lurker status for now. Things got a little crazy since I just finished my first job a few days ago. Yesterday I bought my first Minimates in months (the X-Men First Class Magneto/Mystique set, long story), otherwise I've been out of the loop both comics- and mates-wise since Wave 37(!!!) Good grief, that's a lot of Avengers minimates.

Sooooo... do we have a Kang Falcon yet? :tongue:

Edited by NorthRaider

Well we have something in common! infact, we have two things in common! :lol:

1. We both like to ramble and talk alot about our new obsessions. :biggrin:

2. We both got into collections involving comic book history without ever actually being that involved or tied up in comic books or the characters initially. We both got interested in the coolness first before delving into the actual history of the characters.

I'm really pleased you decided to come out of lurking and introduce yourself. I'm a second time rounder here having stupidly cancelled the idea and sold my collection last year, lost a slew of good minimates in the process, so this time round i wanted to start by rebuying what i sold off. Luckily i got some awesome assistance on this forum. I think it's a refreshing place to visit and alot of the members seem to have great humour and a friendly welcoming atmosphere.

I hope you enjoy your time here in the Multiverse!

In friendship

Rich.

Good to be back! When I saw this year's Minimate Hunt I seriously wanted to join in again, a pity that work had to get in the way.

*goes off to the Hunt discussion thread to check out this year's shenanigans*

Hey NR, good to see you, doll. You were definitly missed quite a bit.

As far as Kang Falcon... what do you think?dry.gif