UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Week 2008 Contest - CLUE 4

Shanester

I actually LIKE the disjointed waves...more variety... now to wait until tomorrow for the big reveal.

So I guess no Pictures, just line up?

We aren't ready to release final pictures just yet, but I did find comic images with all the right costumes for each one. So you'll at least know which outfits, etc they'll be in.

A definition of "minority" is "A group having a distinctive presence within a society." I think that being "from the future" could count as a minority group.

Once you see who the "minorities" are this will make sense.

I have to ask you Matt, are you guys loving this contest (ie, laughing at us all?)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only LOCKS I have from the list are

Wolverine and Deadpool...

I think you are half right. I think the mercenary is the army builder. why do I think this. Well lets just say it is better to be pleasantly surprised rather than immensely disappointed.

nope Deadpool is the merc...mark my words

Wolverine and deadpool are a minority. They are both Canadian-Americans. But DP is not a mutant

Minority is a relative term. It could deal with race, sexual preference, country of origin, or even something as mundane as physical disabilities. Basically, it means a lesser group that makes up a whole (lesser meaning less than the majority, not less as in inferior).

In Canada, they both wouldn't be considered minorities, but in America, perhaps.

Cable - Hero; mutant, but not really a minority; not really a mercenary; no healing factor; not Silver Age; not in a 2008 movie

Cable was a mercenary - he was for a time the leader of the mercenary group Six Pack.

Edited by boyd

The Fwoosh says:

One is a new 616 character with a previously released Ultimate universe Minimate

Minimate Database says:

* Captain America

* Cyclops

* Hulk

* Iron Man

* Jean Grey

* Logan

* Sabretooth

* Storm

* Ultimate Green Goblin

* Ultimate Spider-Man

* Wolverine

Black Panther

Cable

Captain America

Captain Britain (more or less)

Daredevil

Deadpool

Ghost Rider

Hellcat

Hercules

Hulk

Iron Man

Iron Fist

Moon Knight

Ms. Marvel

Nova

Punisher

She-Hulk

Skaar

Spider-Girl

Spider-Man

Thor

War Machine

Wolverine

I ruled out who could not fill at least 1 criteria on each day's clue, and that leaves us with a definite appearance of possibly three of the following:

Captain America, Deadpool, Hulk, Iron Man, She-Hulk, Skaar, Spider-Man, and Wolverine

The Hulk characters feature a healing factor, are generally heroes, and star in their own books, with some previous Minimate appearances as well as new. Hulk himself also has Silver Age ties as well as a 2008 movie appearance.

Captain America is a hero, has Silver Age ties, has his own book, and has been a Minimate before.

Deadpool has a healing factor, is a mercenary, has his own book, and has not been a Minimate.

Iron Man is a hero with a 2008 movie appearance and at least one book. He also has Silver Age ties. Previous Minimate appearances.

Spider-Man is a hero with Silver Age ties and a Minimate appearance or two. He also has a few books out.

Wolverine is a hero with a healing factor, as well as a mutant. Possibly a minority. He has his own book. His Silver Age ties are tough to define, since he fought the Hulk and joined the X-Men, both with Silver Age ties.

The Fwoosh clues:

1 Hero

4 Villains

1 new character yet to pick a side

and:

Three star in their own comic series

We have a hero (say it's Cap), a side-chooser (say it's Skaar), so we need a villain to star in his own comic series. I ownly know Thunderbolts as classic villains with their own series...

I just sent in my guesses, so now maybe my head will stop hurting. The minority thing and the more than healing factor in common thing suggest a few different lines of thought. The sheer amount of new characters in these two waves makes it harder to apply names to any category, and the fact that each wave features three people with their own books...well, my head is just throbbing from all the thought involved.

And with Matt looking over this thread like the Watcher, there's a bit of added pressure.

The Skrulls have their own series right now (Secret Invasion) and they are an army builder who tried to kill Wolverine in the Savage Land.

If the Secret Invasion counts as own Series, that might be a pretty good idea. Since I have Sabertooth in the third Pack, a Skrull fits there as well as any other army builder. You migth have convinced me. ;)

Edit:

Oh, and I just realized, that - at least in wave 26 - the variant is not the variant of one of the character in the same wave, since the clues:

- Four are new characters making their Minimates debut

- Three are new costumed versions of previously released characters

say, that there have to be 7 different mates in there.

Darn! :ohmy:

Edited by Bob Harris

I ruled out who could not fill at least 1 criteria on each day's clue, and that leaves us with a definite appearance of possibly three of the following:

Captain America, Deadpool, Hulk, Iron Man, She-Hulk, Skaar, Spider-Man, and Wolverine

The Hulk characters feature a healing factor, are generally heroes, and star in their own books, with some previous Minimate appearances as well as new. Hulk himself also has Silver Age ties as well as a 2008 movie appearance.

Captain America is a hero, has Silver Age ties, has his own book, and has been a Minimate before.

Deadpool has a healing factor, is a mercenary, has his own book, and has not been a Minimate.

Iron Man is a hero with a 2008 movie appearance and at least one book. He also has Silver Age ties. Previous Minimate appearances.

Spider-Man is a hero with Silver Age ties and a Minimate appearance or two. He also has a few books out.

Wolverine is a hero with a healing factor, as well as a mutant. Possibly a minority. He has his own book. His Silver Age ties are tough to define, since he fought the Hulk and joined the X-Men, both with Silver Age ties.

Regarding the 3 characters "starring in their own comic," I don't think we will see another Spidey so soon after the all Spidey wave, or Cap or Iron Man, after already getting multiple Minimate representations of those two over the last few months. I also don't think we will get regular Hulk, because we just got the Hulk movie wave, and we got an updated, "regular" Hulk in the Defenders set last year, as well as "Smart Hulk." The Skrull thing makes some sense, as he is "ridiculously costumed," and actually would provide a nice complement to the Secret Invasion set (multiple heads, would be a smart marketing move to have Skrull bodies available to go along with them).

So, I'm guessing that Wolvie, Deadpool, and Skrull are the three "stars" with a comic. But if the Skrull is packed with the silver age hero, then I'm a bit stumped again. I would guess Captain Marvel with Skrull because of their connections, and his variant could be either future Captain Marvel. . .but then which character is an earlier version of someone from the 2008 movie? I was sure this would be Nick Fury (Sgt. and Ultimate versions), but now I'm not so sure. Does a pack with Nick Fury and Skrull make any logical sense? Who is following the Secret Invasion storyline?

Edited by karamazov80

If the Secret Invasion counts as own Series, that might be a pretty good idea. Since I have Sabertooth in the third Pack, a Skrull fits there as well as any other army builder. You migth have convinced me. ;)

Edit:

Oh, and I just realized, that - at least in wave 26 - the variant is not the variant of one of the character in the same wave, since the clues:

- Four are new characters making their Minimates debut

- Three are new costumed versions of previously released characters

say, that there have to be 7 different mates in there.

Darn! :ohmy:

Not true. No one ever said the "Three new costumed versions of previously released characters" were all DIFFERENT characters. Two of them could be the same character but in different outfits. Just sayin'.

Not true. No one ever said the "Three new costumed versions of previously released characters" were all DIFFERENT characters. Two of them could be the same character but in different outfits. Just sayin'.

That really saves me from going insane, and don't have to re-do my hole guess. Even if it's "just saying"!

Thanks Matt :D

FWOOSH CLUE 4

Clue 4:

Facts:

Three star in their own comic series

Four are new characters making their Minimates debut

One is a new costume, but not a new character

One is a new 616 character with a previously released Ultimate universe Minimate

ULT UNI MATES

Ultimate Spider-Man

- Green Goblin (Ultimate)*

- Spider-Man (Ultimate)*

Ultimate X-Men

- Cyclops (Ultimate)*

- Cyclops (Ultimate, No Visor)*

- Jean Grey (Ultimate)*

- Logan (Civilian)*

- Sabretooth (Ultimate)*

- Storm (Ultimate)*

- Wolverine (Ultimate)*

Now if I read that last clue correct the only ultimate uni mates without a mainstream released character are Storm (only available in boxset), Sabertooth and Jean Grey if you count Jean and dark phoenix as separate

Edited by MiniFiend UK

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Sabretooth_(Ultimate)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/marvelda...retooth_002.jpg

http://minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=16

This one is a lock, methinks.

Anyone else think the MM set of clues are much harder then the Fwoosh clues? I feel reasonably certain about my wave 25 guesses, but I'm still pretty stumped with this set. I'm sure Deadpool is here, and that's about it. The SA character could be Captain Marvel, could be Black Widow, could be the Black Panther... since the Panther has his own book, and I think Storm is likely one of the minority mutants, he makes the most sense to me. So my guesses are:

Wolvie/Deadpool (not too thrilled that there's a Wolvie in the SI box if he's going to be in this wave)

Storm/Jubilee (I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Jubilee, since she's a minority mutant and Wolverine's de facto side kick. BTW, I will not be buying this pack)

Black Panther/AIM agent (I'm sticking with the Hydra goon in series 25, which could be a humongous mistake. Maybe I'll change my mind before I submit my answers)

Variant: Srg. Fury (I'm just holding out hope that the SA character isn't another Nick Fury).