UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iron Man Stealth

hulk197

How did you get the torso?

Actually found it in a very poor quality picture in a lot on ebay. It had some Iron Man Marvel Legends, a big 10 " Toy Biz Iron Man, the stealth minimate and regular iron man minimate. The problem was the picture... it looked ok, but when I got the package in the mail stealth-boy had ghost rider's arms and legs! The hands and feet are correct, torso, helmet, crotch and belt are all correct as well. I'm in touch with the seller and he's looking for them and is going to make it right if he can't find them. I'm not that concerned since I think I got a good deal considering I'll sell the marvel legends and big 10" figure to make some money back. Worst case... I find a matching paint color.

Thanks for all replies from those trying to help!

Interesting solution...

Just a thought, but have you ever wondered if Stealth Iron Man was really supposed to be BLACK (or some other synonymous dark color) rather than that primary-color-blue we've all come to know and love? Surely a matte-black Stealth armor (a la those radar-invisible Fighter jets) logically makes more sense than a garish Crayola blue one?

I keep remembering Frank Miller's upcoming film adaptation of The Spirit, where he mentioned they made his outfit black (rather than the customary blue) simply because that was SUPPOSED to be the original color of The Spirit's get-up, except that the print restrictions in the comics of Will Eisner's time could not accomodate an all-black anything?

And given that comics today are obviously a bit more advanced in terms of coloring, don't you think it's about time we see a Stealth IM armor in the (hypothetically) proper black? Or is there ALREADY a black/very-dark-colored Stealth armor out there that I don't know about?

Edited by NorthRaider

Interesting solution...

Just a thought, but have you ever wondered if Stealth Iron Man was really supposed to be BLACK (or some other synonymous dark color) rather than that primary-color-blue we've all come to know and love? Surely a matte-black Stealth armor (a la those radar-invisible Fighter jets) logically makes more sense than a garish Crayola blue one?

I keep remembering Frank Miller's upcoming film adaptation of The Spirit, where he mentioned they made his outfit black (rather than the customary blue) simply because that was SUPPOSED to be the original color of The Spirit's get-up, except that the print restrictions in the comics of Will Eisner's time could not accomodate an all-black anything?

And given that comics today are obviously a bit more advanced in terms of coloring, don't you think it's about time we see a Stealth IM armor in the (hypothetically) proper black? Or is there ALREADY a black/very-dark-colored Stealth armor out there that I don't know about?

I quite like the idea of a matt-black Stealth Iron Man ,you're right we haven't had one ....yet. I reckoned we had him in blue because that was what I perceived the colour was in whatever format Iron Man stealth was featured in. Correct me if I'm wrong but most toys depicting SIM are much the same colour..... Mate,Mugg & Cosbaby are. I would imagine the blue idea would come from the 'Non-photo Blue' principle which I'll let Google elaborate on ;) My own Minimate Hangar includes the C3 Batman Stealth-Wing which again is a transparent blue rendition, Stealth obviously equates to blue in the Art Asylum. In the real world of Stealth vehicles it is actually the faceted surfaces (flat panels) of the vehicle which

provide the low-radar signature not the colour of the vehicle. It is however true that many Stealth vehicles are in essence 'black' but this is purely due to them being coated with graphite-ferrite microspheres to help absorb electromagnetic waves . I am surprised that one of our customising demons hasn't modded a 2008 SDCC blue blank into a Stealth Iron Man. Maybe they have & now can't find it or photograph it :D

Edited by buttheadsmate

I am surprised that one of our customising demons hasn't modded a 2008 SDCC blue blank into a Stealth Iron Man. Maybe they have & now can't find it or photograph it :D

I have thought about it but they are seemingly too rare to mutilate that way. There is an irony in me gathering 50 plus of these mates at the con for members but only having a single set without any spares for myself.

As for the Blue/Black debate I've often thought of making a black stealth IM, I actually undercoated my movie IM stealth repaint black and it looked very cool before going over with a mettalic blue layer. As pointed out the blue color does come from the original comic having to show black highlights as blue due to limitations the limitations of print.

I think the marvel legends figure from way back started the solid blue trend.

T.

I am surprised that one of our customising demons hasn't modded a 2008 SDCC blue blank into a Stealth Iron Man. Maybe they have & now can't find it or photograph it :D

On my "to-do" list. Looking like it will be 2009 before I get it done, though...

I quite like the idea of a matt-black Stealth Iron Man ,you're right we haven't had one ....yet. I reckoned we had him in blue because that was what I perceived the colour was in whatever format Iron Man stealth was featured in. Correct me if I'm wrong but most toys depicting SIM are much the same colour..... Mate,Mugg & Cosbaby are. I would imagine the blue idea would come from the 'Non-photo Blue' principle which I'll let Google elaborate on ;) My own Minimate Hangar includes the C3 Batman Stealth-Wing which again is a transparent blue rendition, Stealth obviously equates to blue in the Art Asylum. In the real world of Stealth vehicles it is actually the faceted surfaces (flat panels) of the vehicle which

provide the low-radar signature not the colour of the vehicle. It is however true that many Stealth vehicles are in essence 'black' but this is purely due to them being coated with graphite-ferrite microspheres to help absorb electromagnetic waves . I am surprised that one of our customising demons hasn't modded a 2008 SDCC blue blank into a Stealth Iron Man. Maybe they have & now can't find it or photograph it :D

Wow, I didn't know about non-photo blue and that part about radar-invisible flat surfaces really does make sense. You learn something new everyday!

Although, now something ELSE is bothering me... what about the Owl Ship in Watchmen? Didn't Nite Owl mention that it was radar-invisible thanks to its curved design? Do curved surfaces work as well as flat ones at being radar-invisible or is that just logic-defying comic book BS?