UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Minimate Factory: Updated May 5th

Woah, wait. You use a sanding wheel to make customs!?

I love my sanding wheel. :)

I got it on clearance at Sam's Club for $17 a few years ago. It works great for removing large amounts of material. However, it does leave rough surfaces, although I could probably fix that by buying a wheel with a finer grit sandpaper. Right now, I just sand things by hand after using it (except in cases like this one where I am sculpting over it).

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very much enjoyed watching that video, and completely agreed about the back of the head source material comment.

the sanding part did amuse me, that was the point we had to stop customising along at home. you're like the minimate equivalent of a tv chef!

really looking forward to the next part Luke

very much enjoyed watching that video, and completely agreed about the back of the head source material comment.

the sanding part did amuse me, that was the point we had to stop customising along at home. you're like the minimate equivalent of a tv chef!

really looking forward to the next part Luke

Very enlightening, Luke! That sander is some serious customizing equipment!

You mention that there's rarely good sources for the backs of characters. In the case of older Marvel characters, you may want to check out the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe - Master Edition. This series featured posed front, back and side views of each character. Like this one:

man-ape-a-450.jpg

Now how about a cool Man-Ape custom next? B)

I have the series if you're ever in need of a scan. I'll see if Awesome Android had an entry.

Edited by Binaryan

Great idea Luke! :thumbsup:

As someone who is still learning a lot about customizing, I can attest to the true value of a box of cheap toothpicks!

I couldn't listen to the audio since I'm at work, but the solvent that you used with the Fixit Sculpt, is that just to help smoothe and keep the sculpting compound manageable longer? I'm still using Apoxie Sculpt, and haven't moved to Fixit. Would I see a benefit using the solvent with Apoxie Sculpt too?

What are the biggest differences that you've seen between Apoxie Sculpt and Fixit Sculpt?

Great idea Luke! :thumbsup:

As someone who is still learning a lot about customizing, I can attest to the true value of a box of cheap toothpicks!

I couldn't listen to the audio since I'm at work, but the solvent that you used with the Fixit Sculpt, is that just to help smoothe and keep the sculpting compound manageable longer? I'm still using Apoxie Sculpt, and haven't moved to Fixit. Would I see a benefit using the solvent with Apoxie Sculpt too?

What are the biggest differences that you've seen between Apoxie Sculpt and Fixit Sculpt?

Thanks!

The Apoxie Safety Solvent does exactly what you said - it smooths out the surface and makes it more manageable. It also helps you clean your tools if you use a hobby knife or something similar when you are sculpting. It works great on both Apoxie Sculpt and Fixit Sculpt.

So far I have found three main differences between Apoxie Sculpt and Fixit Sculpt. The biggest difference is that Fixit Sculpt holds its shape better and doesn't sag as much, so if you are making long thin pieces (in the video I used the example of Carnage's tendrils) they won't droop. The second difference is that you get a longer working time with Fixit Sculpt - around an hour instead of half an hour. And the last difference is that the textures are slightly different - Fixit Sculpt feels a little bit more like pottery clay.

Even though I prefer Fixit Sculpt, I used Apoxie Sculpt for years, and I still think it is one of the best clays on the market.

I hope that helps!

I'm going to check out the video when I get home.

Question: Have you ever used "Green Stuff"? Lately I've been sculpting with that a lot lately. I wonder how it compares to Fixit Sculpt.

I have never tried it, as the hobby and craft shops near me don't carry it. I should order some online and give it a spin.

I've used green stuff in the past. I stopped only because it's really expensive for a small amount at the only place I can get it nearby.

But it's great for Minimates because when it dries it retains a little flexibility. Also, since it's not transparent like Apoxie Sculpt, I find it's easier to see the details in what you're sculpting.

• 2 weeks later...
A bunch of awesome decals from Eclipse

Bah ha ha ha - i thought i was going to see decals for Bella, Edward & Jacob. :P

Ha! That would be a waste of time, as once I had finished customizing them, I would have to slowly roast them over an open fire. ;)

Holy cow, that's a treasure trove of new decals. Can I turn in the ones I've put together? They're pretty simple but I figure it'd save some people some time. :D

Definitely! :)

Click on the Contact button on either the Factory or the Store and you will get my email address there.

A bunch of awesome decals from Eclipse

Bah ha ha ha - i thought i was going to see decals for Bella, Edward & Jacob. :P

Ha! That would be a waste of time, as once I had finished customizing them, I would have to slowly roast them over an open fire. ;)

Now that's my kind of pron!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

fantastic, been looking forward to this. While he did seem a slightly simpler effort than we're used to seeing from you, you still managed to make it all look so effortlessly easy. The sticker decal did amuse me, it clearly matched in the final picture, but on the vid it almost looked a pale purple... sorry they're discontinuing it, it almost seemed perfect, I've definitely been considering using it myself.

Thanks! I wanted to go with an easier and quicker custom for the video, since it is hard for me to record videos with two toddlers running around who both love cameras and minimates. The sticker thing was driving me nuts. I think it was partially due to the LED desklamp I was using, which lit up that sticker like a christmas tree. :P

Great finish to the Awesome Android Trilogy! It helped me to see you mix your paints with the same brush you were using, I'm always worried about contaminating one color with another, so I'll have to give that a try next time.

Time for me to start hanging on to all of my Minimate trays too! I don't even want to think about how many of those I've tossed out in the last 3 months... <_<

Hilarious to think about your kid taking all of those pictures of the wall! My daughter is just 3 months now, so I like hearing what I have to look forward to! :)

Too bad about the sticker paper, I was looking forward to trying that out so hopefully you can find a suitable replacement. FYI, since you are using Citadel Paints, they occasionally discontinue colors too. "Bronzed Flesh" was a recent victim that I liked to use...

Edited by youbastards

Great wrap up video know I'm ready for the next set of videos

:)

Hi Luke, all:

I just wanted to pipe in and say publically how much I appreciate all the work you do for the Minimate community with the Factory and the Toy Store. This year my wife put together a kit of customizing tools from the toy store, including a Citadel paint set (and I'd say to anyone not using these, THEY MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!), brushes, Miliput, ect. One of the big things, though was decal paper, so that I could try my hand at making my own decals. Well, it took me a little while to work up to giving these a try, but the results were nothing short of fantastic and completely change the way I look at my customizing abilities.

Luke, you've done a tremendous job in bridging the gap between skilled customizers like yourself and those of us with minimal skills. Not only did I use decals you provided on the factory, but I used your templates to design my own decals, and used document you provided to scale them properly. It was such an easy process that I don't know why I waited so long!

Now I've just gotta work up the courage to give the Miliput a try....