UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Universe 3.75" Figures

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to find some of the MU I wanted at the Disney Store a few weeks back, because TRU never had any of the latest wave in,lol. Went back this weekend Disney Store doesn't even have MU. Hopefully they will keep carrying them. Going to check back next weekend for the boxsets of Avengers.

Stores are also still packed to the gills with Iron Man and Thor figures (and, to a lesser extent, Cap). I was in a TRU today and I was just amazed at how much of their big Avengers display was taken up by those old toys. I honestly wonder how they are going to move the new figures.

Around here they eventually moved most of the Cap and Thor stuff... still choking on the first 2 waves of IM2 movie series though. But this whole thing could blow up in Marvel/Hasbro's face much like Dark Knight over ordering killed retailer enthusiasm for DC stuff in general. Green Lantern did not help them. Hasbro and Marvel have been on a high of late, but that could change.

I was kind of stunned to see how much Thor stuff there was... I don't remember there being all that much on the pegs a few weeks ago. But Thor toys seemed to be DOA, so it's possible that TRU had loads of backstock that they are now looking to unload.

I think the Thor line was very poorly handled all along. I'd have much rather seen some 616 characters mixed in that would have gotten more sales out of the line. Having said that, it's nice to have a complete set of all the movie charcters from a movie that wasn't really geared towards kids.

Some genius in a marketing department probably thought that the comics figures were the reason Iron Man 2 toys did move well, that kids wanted more movie looking stuff. So there were a smattering of comics figures in Cap, and none in Thor. Who this genius worked for is anyones guess, Hasbro, Wal-Mart, indepedent pointy-headed consultant firm, too many choices.

nessex any need for a gambit mr sinister? there is a 2pack just begging to be bought but I have no use for it. lmk

Thanks for the offer MOC - that's very decent of you. Luckily, my LCS managed to get this one in. (which i 'luckily' got to buy for $34.95 :rolleyes: )

I'm having trouble with Beast though. Has he started showing up in the US yet?

Movie toys are a pet peeve of mine; I feel like we see, year after year, that there's never as big a demand for movie toys as toy companies and retailers anticipate, no matter the movie. It bugs me that toy companies are willing to sacrifice their continuing toy lines for the sake of movie toys; Hasbro had a great thing going with the revived GI Joe, then they put that on hold for movie toys, and GI Joe's never quite recovered, to my eyes. I dunno, I don't work in the industry, so I don't know if the profits made by movie toys when they are shiny and new makes up for the time they spend gathering dust.

Blame Michael Bay... okay not really. (I just like saying that) But Transformers left a mark on retailers. That movie was huge in terms of toy sales, and demand outstripped supply for a while there. They completely did not anticipate that kids would fall that hard for Transformers again. Since then, retailors are over reacting the other way... they over order on movie toys just in case the next kid friendlyish sci-fi action adventure summer movie "event" is as huge. But they're guessing. They have no real idea if the hyped movie will suck or not, (Green Lantern) or even be kid appropriate or not, (Dark Knight) or if the target audience will even stay enthusiastic (Dark of the Moon)(which in case you haven't heard that line is officially ended do to lack of retailor interest, any remain unreleased toys will be worked into other lines) Eventually they'll get tired of trying to unload overstock from these things, and the pendalum will swing back the other way... until the next time.

edit- and in case you're wondering, I befriended the local Hasbro rep. a few years ago. Very nice lady, and been very helpful educating me on the business side of toys.

Edited by Mirymate

I don't think you can say that all movie lines are bad or that all companies handle them wrong. I think DST has found the perfect way to balance supply and demand ever since underdoing a line that had potential (X3) and over-doing a line that overstatyed it's welcome (SM3). At least in my opinion, between the Minimaets and Marvel Select, they seem to have found the right balance.

Well, sure, but they are a niche company doing things at a much smaller scale then Hasbro and Mattel. Even then, though, one could argue that they still haven't gotten it right, considering the amount of Thor and Cap sets still sitting in TRUs (and probably comic shops) across the country, not to mention all those X-Men First Class sets. Mightn't they be better off mixing in comics figures with the movie ones, either by splitting a wave between two movie packs and two comics packs, or by pairing a movie figure with a comics figure? There's really no right or wrong answer; I just feel like the industry inevitably gets ramped up for these movie toys every year, and every year they end up (seemingly) underperforming. But, again, I don't really know.

I will admit, despite what I said before, I am really sick of waiting for the pre-orders of Wave 18 to show up. I need Beast and Kraven! Hulk's nice, but I already have 3. Ultimate Spidey doesn't interest me. Beta Ray Bill looks awesome, but I'm not a fan of his character, I'm sure there will be plenty of people clamoring for him without me.

I'm pretty sure my Walmart has some Gambit/Sinister. They were late to the MU game and no one around here buys them. If I can find some, I'll let you guys know.

Awesome, thanks. Every Walmart and Target in my area has a ton of Power Man/Iron Fist and Spider-Man/Captain Britain 2-packs, but little else. :/

Found Modern Black Widow this afternoon. Price was....nothing to be proud of, and i think i cried a little, but she's worth it. Love the Phoenix hair/headsculpt anyway and already have Psylocke sporting it, so what's one more gonna hurt? (maybe Greg Land is secretly the designer) She uses it best though, it's a cold and pissy sculpt. Just wish she wasn't so damn expensive.

The TRU exclusive one on that base thingy? Those things piss me off. No new tooling (heck all of those bucks have been re-used to hell already) and a base that looks pointless if you don't have them all for more than double the price.