UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SPOILER The Dark Knight

Trekker 42

.....IT WAS BEYOND EPIC! It lived up to the hype and then some....Heath Ledger was so freaking AWSOME! and .....ACK..... im just gona sit in corner w/ my mouth shut. however i will say this GO SEE IT ! does not disapoint.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll prob go see it Friday Morning as they have cheap tickets...

I've stayed pretty buildup free so will be watchng it and judging it on it's own merits... I'll let you know.

T.

p.s. On second thoughts there is a place a little further away that does IMAX movies... it might be worth the 20 mile round trip...

I caught the 12:01 showing of Dark Knight...

I ended up waiting at the theater for 5 hours before it opened cuz the theater warned everyone to be there that early to get a good seat. Crazy theater *it was cool, though. I was with several good friends so it was like hanging out. If I was by myself, I would have been miserable =P

I have to say... this was my first big "geek" thing. The closest I've ever come to a convention or cos play... and I say that because the theater (its a big one) was full of crazy kids dressed up as their favorite batman character. There were like 50 Batmans, of course... just about every main villain, and one Robin (who was dressed pretty well... but dang it was scary. Like that pic of Lion-o ... it was just wrong to see a 20 year old guy running around in speedos. (and no, I didnt get any pics :mellow: )

Anyway, about the movie - I won't say anything spoil-worthy, even though I really want to gush about several amazing scenes and whatnot...

But I will say that, even though I was worried that Dark Knight wouldnt live up to the hype, it delivered. And then some.

It was described as 'The Godfather 2 of superhero movies' ... Id have to agree. Overall, a very very well made film.

Joker was perfect... from the moment where he did the 'magic trick' with the pencil, I was sold. He was perfect. Absolute humor balanced beautifully with a freighteningly sick and maniacal homicidal twistedness...

wonderfully written, wonderfully portrayed.

I had a few small complaints, but nothing worth mentioning, really.

All in all, this was a gem of a comicbook movie. We need many many more like this.

QUOTE (Donny B @ Jul 18 2008, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was described as 'The Godfather 2 of superhero movies' ... Id have to agree.

If you are going to quote Kevin Smith at least give the props sir. I agree though Dark Knight is pure genius. Best comic book movie ever. Now if DC could only apply this goodness to their other franchises. BTW who saw the ridiculously awesome Watchman trailer. WOW.

Edited by minimadman

OMG guys... i saw it at 7 last night, and all i can say is

that WAS...... JOKER!!!!

the movie was perfect, or at least as close to it. i'd say officially the greatest comic book movie of all time and probably the greatest movie of at least the last 10 years. magic is fun :thumbsup: you will not be disappointed if you see this film, i can't wait to go back tonight in imax, and in makeup with my brethren HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! just unfortunate that the joker is gone, i'd love to have seen what would have come next from ledger

If you are going to quote Kevin Smith at least give the props sir ... BTW who saw the ridiculously awesome Watchman trailer. WOW.

Cool. I had no idea it was Kevin Smith... one of my friends that I saw TDK with quoted it to me, but didnt tell me who originally said it. I just figured it was one of the random review magazines like EW or something :ermm:

And sheesh, that Watchmen trailer...

Gave. Me. Chills.

:biggrin:

The "magic trick", The nurses outfit....everytime he was on screen it was classic.....

what was yer 1st reaction to two-face?...mine was "OH fuck...LOOKIT HIS EYE!!!" XD

Edited by NNY

Holy greatest movie ever made Batman! Finally, after sleeping for a long time, I wake up to give my review. I must say that no matter how great Joker was, and he was perfect, I must say that the standout performance in that movie, and I mean standout as in head and shoulders above the rest, was Aaron Eckhart as Harvey "Two-Face" Dent who was tragic and heartbreaking as Two-Face and couragous and heroic as Harvey Dent. The makeup on Two-Face was astounding and absoultely disgusting. When you first see the left side of Harvey's face, burned and charred, the theatre was filled with "ugh"s and "yuck"s and it truly deserved it. And pay attention to his suit. It's not like the comics where it's a normal suit split between black and white, but instead a suit with one side burned like his face.

But enough about Dent before I spoil it. Let's talk Batman. Christian Bale wowed us as Bruce Wayne in the first transitioning from Bruce being the real person to him being the mask. Now, he truly gest Batman on us with a lot less of Bruce in the film, especially once Joker gets going. And regretably with less Bruce comes less of the truly outstanding performance from the first film, Michael Caine as Alfred.

Finally, what everyone has been waiting for: Joker. People have described Heath Ledger's Joker as iconic and a fine performance. I have to agree. In fact, I have to say hat that is the performance to compare ALL comic book movie villains to. By the end of the movie, everything that the Joker did made me HATE him with a PASSION. HATE! That means that the performance was amazing astounding ang perfect. No other villain have I hated by the end of the movie ever. I pitied Doc Ock, I was indifferent about the Green Goblin,I was fed up with Doctor Doom, I was bored with Luthor. I did hate Poison Ivy, but that was an entirely different reason (IE she ruined the movie and the franchise, (With a little help from Robin but that's a rant for another day)). At one point, the part with the big rig (Slaughter is the Best Medicine is what I think it said) I was sitting there watching Batman thinking "kill tha Son of a Bitch" Kill him for all of those who he killed. Then after the oil barrels in the warehouses incident, I wanted him to not just die but to suffer and die. So this was a perfect performance as a villain.

There you have it. The Dark Knight: the greatest movie ever made. Batman did what he had to do well. The villans played their parts perfectly and made you feel like they were meant to make you feel: Pity for Harvey "Two-Face" Dent and pure hatred for the Joker. With a significant ending that is a rather large cliffhanger you truly feel that Batman has won, but Gotham has lost. Batman's battle was successful, but Gotham City has lost it's greatest hero, the best of them: Harvey Dent.

Edited by Trekker 42

Me and some friends tried to get an IMAX screening after work today, but all shows (IMAX and regular) were sold out with limited seeting available for an 11 PM showing. So.... we pre-purchased tickets for an afternoon matinee IMAX showing for Saturday. I sure hope this juggernaut lives up to the hype.

Me and some friends tried to get an IMAX screening after work today, but all shows (IMAX and regular) were sold out with limited seeting available for an 11 PM showing. So.... we pre-purchased tickets for an afternoon matinee IMAX showing for Saturday. I sure hope this juggernaut lives up to the hype.

It did. It most definately did.

What I want to know was what your top Joker moments are. But wait until the spoiler deadline is up and I'll make this a spoiler thread with no tags necessary. That will be Monday that I'll do that.

See it in IMAX if at all possible. I've seen it both ways and IMAX is by far the superior experience. Harvey's effect looks astounding on the gigantic screen, love that eyeball. :D

What an incredible film. So much better then the first and the first was quite excellent. I will never look at a pencil the same way again. :D :D

I saw it tonight at the Imax. The huge screen was definitely breathtaking at times. I was amazed that they were able to fit so much story into a 2 hour long movie. I think I still prefer Batman Begins by a small margin, but this was the best movie I have seen this year.

what an awesome night, not only did i see it in imax last night, i was interviewed about the movie on my9 (formly upn) in NYC b4 i went in, and in my joker makeup, i was on the 10 o'clock news interviewed about the dark knight. i haven't seen it yet since my showing was at ten, but someone taped it for me and i hope to see it soon

"let me show you a magic trick..."

It was 2 hours, 22-26 (I just about lost track) minutes, actually. ...Ooo. I wonder if that's some "duality" Two-Face joke thingy...hmm.

It was good. No, it was great. No, it was...freaking scary. It took Batman's Rogue's Gallery and put them in the REAL world, showing them in their purest incarnations. It's almost like all these years, through all those comics, all those writers and artists...they were just trying to pull off Joker as he appeared in the film (and most of them failed miserably). How scary would someone like the Joker be if he was in your city, in your world, threatening--murdering--the people you know? Watch the movie and you'll find out.

"I think we're destined to do this forever."

Foreboding, to say the least.

Joker was God-damn evil. To echo Trekker 42's thoughts, the Joker (as he was portrayed in the movie) was the most honest, evil, fiendish, realistic, and easily-hated film villain of all time. Please, someone try to refute me. Try.

Two-Face was also incredibly well-done. There's something I want to touch on with him when spoilers are allowed, but for now, I'll say this: I've never liked Two-Face. He's always seemed like yet another in the myriad of gimmick-based "villains" from Batman's cornier past. The coin thing, the purpley skin, the whole "rob the 2nd National Bank at 2 o'clock on February 2nd" crap...he was just stupid, in my opinion. The Dark Knight gets Two-Face right. He's a good "hero," then a very good "villain." I didn't pity him, as much as I respected him. If the Two-Face from the comics came up to me (for who knows what reason) with a deadly firearm, I probably would've chuckled. The Two-Face from the movie? I would've first lost my lunch at the sight (and probably the smell) of his charred face, known I was done for, and prayed that the coin landed in my favor. Incredible character.

Rachel Dawes was much easier to take with Ms. Gyllenhaal portraying her then in Batman Begins. The genuine fear on her face as Joker was explaining the scars...she's a good actress.

Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine were also wonderful refuges from the insanity of the Joker. I felt safer every time the scene cut to one of them. Beautiful performances by each of them.

"...and you'd like to blackmail this person? ...Good luck."

Christian Bale was of course, great as well, but we didn't get to see much of his acting ability.

Overall, it was a spectacular movie. Worth my time and money. Go see it.

So, without revealing many spoilers, who do you think is next as Batman's enemy? I believe the Riddler is next, but I'll have to explain on Monday why he's the next villain and what I think would be a very Nolanistic take on the villain along with the theory on the Rotten Tomatoes board that the Riddler was in this one, but not as the Riddler. Can anybody remember a name that sounded like Mysteries? That's the only thing you get until Monday.

I think after the insanity of The Joker, the next Batman movie will have a villain that is more logical and calculating. Someone who will be the mastermind behind a large mystery. I think Riddler would be a good choice for this. I also think we will see a female villain like Poison Ivy.