UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wacky Minimate pics thread

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

This afternoon I captured this hornet which was obviously looking for its next abode. These things are not that rare but look at the size of this mother!

I merely grabbed the nearest 'mate for size comparison & I have used no trick perspectives or anything.It was bloody huge & I'm sure someone in Oz ,Phillipines ,HK etc. has seen stuff bigger but I live in Devon England :ohmy: Anyway Superman kicked its ass before I let her(him) on his way.

post-638-1241541058_thumb.jpg post-638-1241541168_thumb.jpg

post-638-1241541880_thumb.jpg

That hornet actually looks kinda pretty, though destructive-looking. (Wait, am I confusing hornets with wasps? What were their nests made of again? Paper or mud? And which pulp company owns the rights to Green Hornet again? Is Wasp really dead? Oy, my head hurts.)

Surprisingly enough, most of our local insects (here in the city, at least) are pretty run-of-the-mill tiny. (Our spiders can get pretty big, but they're not insects.) However what they lack in size, they make up for in numbers. A pretty horrifying example is our inconveniently-early rainy season, which just so happens to be the mating season for winged ants (my sister thinks they're winged termites). Winged ants, like certain other insects, are drawn to light (read: overhead lamps). They are also unusually fragile. Nothing quite describes the sensation of all those little buggers' wings and bodies randomly falling out of the air while you're surfing the net. (And then there's them crawling all over the place... I think two of 'em literally crawled into our keyboard and died. And falling onto your clothes :ohmy:)

I remember one particularly robust swarm of them (*shudder*), and my brother's uniquely humane method of literally driving them out of our house, basically involving putting out all the lights in our house save the one to the front porch. Fantastically biblical.

... Wow, that was pretty effing random.

If my knowledge of insect culture is correct, then the one you caught was probably just a female worker drone or something. Queens from most any insect colony (be it wasps, hornets, ants, bees...) are usually much bigger, and just send most of their time in the nest laying eggs.

[/science]

Should be interesting what the bug's reaction would be when confronted by a Wasp minimate :P

And this is why I love this forum: Two members, on opposite sides of the globe, discussing insect (not spiders, mind you, because they're not insects) nesting and swarming habits. Mixed in with Superman and Wasp Minimate banter. *sigh* :)

Superman looks puny compared to that thing :O

Also, there's a way to get the shield on without taking off Captain America's glove. You have to take his arm apart, slip on the shield, then reattach the arm parts. I'd tell the guy who made that post but I'm too lazy to register XD

Todays startling pictures :rolleyes: involve 2 items that my girlfriends sister knitted ......knitted ! I am sure this will invite a certain amount of amusement perhaps aimed at me but whattheheck ....& despite everything.... they are bloody clever.

So here's Superman post-638-1241635678_thumb.jpgpost-638-1241635706_thumb.jpg

& here's Knitler post-638-1241635962_thumb.jpg

There's a subset to the vinyl collectibles market of plush figures. Basically, stuffed art toys. Is there a market for knitted minifigures? You betcha! (Trademark issues aside.)