UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimate Boxsets

hypno

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, if DCD does this, they probably will feel the need to throw Superman and Batman into every set possible. It's just what they do. I don't think they would grasp the fact that most of us want as many different characters as possible, not just variations on those two.

Anyway, my suggestions, which modify some of those already posted:

JLofA: Martian Manhunter, Black Canary, Elongated man, Firestorm, Zatanna (completes the Satellite era team);

JSA: Green Lantern, Hourman, Dr Mid-Nite, Starman, The Atom (all GA versions);

Teen Titans: Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, Changeling, Aqualad, Speedy (completes the NTT and offers the SA TT);

Vertigo: Dream, Death, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Animal Man;

New Gods (New Genesis): Orion, Mr. Miracle, Big Barda, Lightray, Highfather;

New Gods (Apokalips): Darkseid, Desaad, Granny Goodnes, Kalibak, Verminn Vundibar (a personal favorite!);

Batman's Rogues Gallery: Two Face, Riddler, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Ras Al Gul;

Flash's Rogues Gallery: Mirror master, Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Prof. Zoom, Weather Wizard;

Showcase (characters that 1st appeared in Showcase): Atom, Adam Strange, Creeper, Hawk & Dove

That's all I've got for now. :D

Nothing would please me more than to be wrong here, about everything.

But my gut, logic and past experience with DCD just screams at me otherwise.

What do you think is the cause, in your opinion, of this repeated letdown from DCD?

For me, I believe that DCD has had a tough time defining what it wants to be. Is it mass market or collector driven. I think they started out collector driven, with the props and 6 inch figures they were doing.

But a couple years into that things started to get weird. They got the license to do Batman/Superman family figures. Soon we were no longer seeing the variety we once were.

Then they had other failures like Pocket Heroes. PVC lines.

I'm not sure if they were trying to do too much or if they focused in the wrong areas, but I know for me several things came to a head: in the 6 inch line, Marvel Legends was proving that comic based characters sold at retail, and yet DCD was giving folks wave after wave of interpretations of Supes and Bats, and never completing teams or even styles. I have a great start to my JLA with Bruckner sculpted Batman, Flash, SA Green Lantern, SA Wonder Woman, GA Green Arrow, but then they stopped.

As well, I was never a scale nut, I don't care if they were a little off, but the long Awaited Crisis and JLA figures like Adam Strange or others were out of scale with the other characters.

The articulation was never consistent. I didn't care that they weren't as articulated as the ML line, but it was how they would do it, and the fact that for the first few years folks had to BEG DCD to do any articulation beyond 5 points.

I just finally had enough. They were no longer producing characters of a quality level that I was interested in.

When the Minimates were anounced though, I thought, OK. They can't screw this up cause the raticulation and scale is set. And the first few waves had a great character selection. I thought they might be getting something right and understanding what a group of collectors/fans wanted.

I've since revised that opinion.

Unfortunately, if DCD does this, they probably will feel the need to throw Superman and Batman into every set possible. It's just what they do. I don't think they would grasp the fact that most of us want as many different characters as possible, not just variations on those two.

JLofA: Martian Manhunter, Black Canary, Elongated man, Firestorm, Zatanna (completes the Satellite era team);

Teen Titans: Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, Changeling, Aqualad, Speedy (completes the NTT and offers the SA TT);

New Gods (Apokalips): Darkseid, Desaad, Granny Goodnes, Kalibak, Verminn Vundibar (a personal favorite!);

Flash's Rogues Gallery: Mirror master, Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Prof. Zoom, Weather Wizard;

Showcase (characters that 1st appeared in Showcase): Atom, Adam Strange, Creeper, Hawk & Dove

See, I'm a current age collector. I would be really pissed if all that was offered was GA and SA stuff. I like Modern costumes and figures, and I would want them to be released.

That's why I think they should release box-sets of individual characters. Now that would be sweet. :P

Ok. So lets say this campaign is successful. DCD decides to bring the line back. Would you be happy with the line (and still buy them) if they aren't on par quality-wise with the previous results? What if they weren't even on par with C3 'mates? Would you still buy them then?

Keep in mind - I'm not saying I heard anything (I know how these fucking internet rumors start. :D) - I'm just speculating based on my theory that these have not been as profitable for DCD as they anticipated they would be. A logical move would be to cut costs somewhere - quality of the line would be about the only place they could cut costs.

Selling direct to consumer isn't a realistic choice (and thereby cutting out any additional costs for doing business via Diamond) because that isn't in their business model at this time.

A change to the packaging might result in a slight reduction of costs, but would it be enough to warrant the change? IMO, based on what (little) I know about packaging options from my past life working with manufacturers of various products, it would not.

So if selling direct to consumer isnt' an option and changing the package wouldn't give them the bump in profit they're looking for, the only other logical choice would the the figures themselves. (I'm not considering raising the price point on them as a viable option - they're already selling at a MSRP of $9.99 per pack. I don't think the line would survive a higher price than that.)

Again, would you continue to buy them if there was a significant drop in quality of the product?

I think the MSRP is something to consider though. If your comic shop is selling them to you for $9.99 then you are getting ripped off. My shop sells them for $8.00, and they are still making a profit. Which means that DCD could still raise the cost that the comic shops pay by at least a dollar before having to mark up the MSRP. And if your comic shop feels the need to make a 40-50% mark up then you should either talk with them about it or buy them somewhere else if possible.

Well as this is the second time that the DC mates have been endangered, I'm not as bummed as I was the first time, and honestly I'm not going to beg DC Direct for these guys no matter how much I love them. I support the line the best way, I buy them all. Even the characters I'm not wild about I buy anyway. If that's not enough to keep them making them, despite the strong fan base and the fact that they do seem to sell around where I live, then DC Direct can take that money they were spending on minimates and keep dropping it on lines that don't move. I'm tired of lines I love dying before the characters I want to see have been made, but when I as a bystander can see the problems with their business practices and they can't, I almost want the company to suffer losses, because it's what they have coming. I never bought anything from DC Direct before mates, and I'm damn sure not going to now. So how does them losing a consumer's money make sense? It's not going to make me buy their overpriced semi-poseable statues, no matter what they may think.

See, I'm a current age collector. I would be really pissed if all that was offered was GA and SA stuff. I like Modern costumes and figures, and I would want them to be released. And I did put in a Veritgo set. Can't get more modern then that!

That's why I think they should release box-sets of individual characters. Now that would be sweet. :P

I'm still putting some thought into what I would do for Modern Age stuff (it will probably keep me up tonight), so I see your point. Most of my thinking is wanting to fill out lineups and collections the best way possible.

So are you the guy that wants the Montoya Question ahead of Vic Sage? :D

See, I'm a current age collector. I would be really pissed if all that was offered was GA and SA stuff. I like Modern costumes and figures, and I would want them to be released. And I did put in a Veritgo set. Can't get more modern then that!

I'm still putting some thought into what I would do for Modern Age stuff (it will probably keep me up tonight), so I see your point. Most of my thinking is wanting to fill out lineups and collections the best way possible.

So are you the guy that wants the Montoya Question ahead of Vic Sage? :D

Ha ha ha ha...no, no, no. I miss Vic. I don't have a strange abhorent hatred for Montoya, though. An aside, however, I think the Montoya Minimate is hideous. I hate (BOTH VIC AND MONTOYA) the Question in blue. The Spirit should be in blue, the Question in tan. :angry:

Ha ha ha ha...no, no, no. I miss Vic. I don't have a strange abhorent hatred for Montoya, though. An aside, however, I think the Montoya Minimate is hideous. I hate (BOTH VIC AND MONTOYA) the Question in blue. The Spirit should be in blue, the Question in tan. :angry:

I was planning to use the Montoya Question to customize a Vic Question, but I made a placeholder last night (using a different coat) that turned out so well I may just keep it. I'll post pics and the recipe as soon as I take them.

Oh, I also wanted to add, as far as modern box sets go, that I couldn't think of anything much better then what lastmaximal came up with, with perhaps a few modifications here and there (primarily Red Robin for the Red Hood in the Countdown box), so I bow to him. Bravo to you, sir!

If I could have only one box set come out of this, it would be the Dark Knight Returns

I know i know another batman but imagine a frank miller looking batman with the added bulked up chest piece, a Carrie Kelly robin, the Mutant Gang leader, and a white suit Joker with a few of the doll bombs (goddamn milk baby!)

Give me that, and I would never piss and moan again about dc minimates.

While I would be behind the boxset idea...hell its minimates so of course I would but it pretty much would drown the idea of getting the one DC character I really want and thats the Jack Knight Starman

Jeff of the Miniacs

Nahh... he could easily be included in a JSA box (he was a member for a brief period of time, after all), or a Zero Hour box (Extant and Primal Force, anyone?). I suspect you can probably make a pretty good quick custom of him too.

• 2 weeks later...

Although there is an minuscule chance of this happening due to DC's "death", here are some box set ideas I have had.

52 Box Set 1: Space and Time heroes.

Animal Man (with goggle hairpeice and normal, with a leather jacket)

Adam strange (with some of his flight gear)

Supernova (with removable mask, no accesories needed)

Rip Hunter (with Red Tornado head?)

52 Box Set 2: Black Marvel Family

Black Adam (with cape, of course)

Isis

Osiris

Sobek The Talking Crocodile (with vest, kind but wary expression, convincing bulk, and is standing on hind legs)

52 Box Set 3: The Four Horsemen

Death

War (biggest scale possible)

Pestilence

Famine (hunched on all fours, blood on mouth, no vest)

52 Box Set 4: The Metal Men

Doc Magnus

Mercury (possibly with Mr. Fantastic style stretch limbs?)

Lead

Tin

(Yes, I know that the metal men should be absolutely teeny to be in scale with 52, but what the heck.)

That is all.

Vig

Well I was trying to keep it to a 4 - pack.

Or you could have a big pack with all the metal men, and a Oolong Islang set with Doc Magnus, Egg Fu, Dr. Sivana, and T. O. Morrow.

That would be better actually lol.

Vig

Or you could have a big pack with all the metal men, and a Oolong Islang set with Doc Magnus, Egg Fu, Dr. Sivana, and T. O. Morrow.

A Minimate Egg-Fu would blow my mind. I can't even imagine how to make him work with existing Minimates parts...

A Minimate Egg-Fu would blow my mind. I can't even imagine how to make him work with existing Minimates parts...

I guess you'd start with a hard boiled egg....

I guess you'd start with a hard boiled egg....

I don't think one of those plastic Easter Eggs would be big enough ... unless you found one a bit larger than normal.