UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimate Boxsets

hypno

According to a member of the DC boards...

I did get further confirmation from Georg (through my LCS) that the line will be "resting" after wave 8. I got a more detailed response, but I was asked not to post it here (at least for now).

However, they will look into the idea of boxed sets. If this is what you want to see, post your ideas here.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the idea of box sets is good as well. We can get large chunks of teams in one swoop (Justice Society would really benefit from this - so many characters left to do), plus themed boxes (like the Magic Box, with Zatanna, Phantom Strange, Felix Faust and Blue Devil) or Event boxes (like the Crisis box, with Harbinger, the Monitor, the Anti-Monitor and Superman Prime).

Now I have to go register on the DC Direct forum to give my support...

A Boxset seems like it would allow DCD the flexibility to put out sets based on recent events in their comics, like a New Gods or Sinestro Corps set. Tying the sets into events would not doubt help sales as the comics and figures would support each other. This is what DCD does with pretty much all of their other lines and seems to be what they are most conformable with over all.

Boxsets could be a really cool alternative to a set series of eight figures if DCD decides to go that route.

An update from the same guy on the DC boards:

Sorry, I didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up. The response was just Georg asking specific questions about how the line did at my LCS. He also states that sales were OK, but not great which had already been mentioned in an interview (
. The key part is that after wave 8 the DC MiniMates are "resting." But there is hope, if enough retailers request them, they could be resurrected, possibly in another format. I suggested box sets and they will look into it (which again, don't get your hopes up).

The key is that it's not just what fans ask for, it's what retailers ask for
. So, folks need to tell the stores they order DC MiniMates from to tell DC Direct (or Diamond, depending on where they order from) that you want more DC MiniMates. Even get into specifics of what DC MiniMates you want to see. Yes, fans are listened to, but retailers are HEARD.

Okay, so, more specifics. Obviously, retailers are the people who any toy company listens to at the end of the day. Start leaning on your LCS to order more mates, and ask what would make them more passionate about stocking these.

This is goofy. They're selling, though not gangbusters, which means retailers ARE requesting these. Retailers are buying these. If they weren't, sales would show it, ala retailers wouldn't be requesting these.

You can argue why they are not selling as good as other items, and in threads here and on the DC boards, people have come up with half a dozen suggestions that could potentially increase the profitability of the line (box sets included). If you have a money maker, and a fan base, but need to tweak it to make it a money winner, why do you "rest" it, rather than poor some project resources into making it better?

I guess what I am am saying is that I believe Brewer here about as much as I believe politicians when they say they will cut my taxes, fund every program in the social system, increase military presence wherever, AND balance the budget. :)

The key is enough retailers. It seems rather than look for a way to increase profitability on something already profitable, they (DCD) are passing the buck to the retailers (in order to make them the scape goats). Their version of enough can be shifted and they can claim that they, shucks, really wanted to continue the line. REALLY. But darn it, there just wasn't enough interest by retailers.

Why not just come out and admit DCD has no interest in producing these, because they don't make them enough money, and they aren't interested in looking any further into it because they have some nifty artist inspired 6 inch line they would rather poor money and time into?

... It seems rather than look for a way to increase profitability on something already profitable, they (DCD) are passing the buck to the retailers (in order to make them the scape goats). Their version of enough can be shifted and they can claim that they, shucks, really wanted to continue the line. REALLY. But darn it, there just wasn't enough interest by retailers....

Hit the nail on the head, methinks.

i'd say the "Rest" that DCD is giving the line is the eternal rest, the big sleep etc... they know they have no intention of bringing this line back later. just setting up fall guys(retailers) to take the heat, so that the fans/consumers won't hold a grudge and not buy any future DCD offerings(Infinate justice). also did they forget WE are the consumers, They should be trying to please us, trying to separate us from our hard earned money, We shouldn't be put upon to hit up the retailers for more orders or buy multiples or product we don't like just to have a line continue. they should be trying to please us not the other way around. oh and we send a message to the retailers every time we purchase or dont purchase a product from them, guess the message ill be sending is NO MORE DCD PRODUCTS FOR ME THANKS!

... It seems rather than look for a way to increase profitability on something already profitable, they (DCD) are passing the buck to the retailers (in order to make them the scape goats). Their version of enough can be shifted and they can claim that they, shucks, really wanted to continue the line. REALLY. But darn it, there just wasn't enough interest by retailers....

Hit the nail on the head, methinks.

i'd say the "Rest" that DCD is giving the line is the eternal rest, the big sleep etc... they know they have no intention of bringing this line back later. just setting up fall guys(retailers) to take the heat, so that the fans/consumers won't hold a grudge and not buy any future DCD offerings(Infinate justice). also did they forget WE are the consumers, They should be trying to please us, trying to separate us from our hard earned money, We shouldn't be put upon to hit up the retailers for more orders or buy multiples or product we don't like just to have a line continue. they should be trying to please us not the other way around. oh and we send a message to the retailers every time we purchase or dont purchase a product from them, guess the message ill be sending is NO MORE DCD PRODUCTS FOR ME THANKS!

Yep i am done with DCD too. Not only as a protest, but simply because I never had a need to buy their product. The minimate line was the only thing I ever bought from them.

You know to me it seems odd... we know that minimates are not a "hot mass retail" success. So it seemed natural to me, that a specialty company would want minimates, as they speak to collectors. *the hard core fans

Now that Mattel is basically giving DCD a run for their money in the 6 and now 3 3/4 inch markets. You would think DCD would be clamoring to KEEP a collector based product, something that doesn't compete with a larger company with more capital.... something that you can ONLY get from them. (ie: minimates)

I mean in a few months you can get a 6 inch batman or a 3 3/4 inch batman at your local wal mart so why go to a comics store to buy a more expensive version of basically the same thing....

maybe i am wrong, but that is my 2 cents

moc847

I think you're right. I think if DCD tries this rumored 4 inch line (against what we saw of the 3 inch line at Toyfare from Mattel) they're sunk. Looking at Mattels 6 inch line the other day at Target, they look *ALMOST* as good as the Bruckner sculpted DCD figures from the hayday when I did collect 6 inch DCD offerings, but at a fraction of the price. Were I to get back into 6 inch figures, considering the options, I'm with you. DCD would not get my money.

But concerning Mates. I'd love to be wrong. I'd love for my assumptions to prove completely and totally off base, and retail/LCS folks to rise up like some sort of Nerd Army and clamor for, nay, demand more Minimates, box sets or two packs or whatever.

Nothing would please me more than to be wrong here, about everything.

But my gut, logic and past experience with DCD just screams at me otherwise.

Nothing would please me more than to be wrong here, about everything.

But my gut, logic and past experience with DCD just screams at me otherwise.

What do you think is the cause, in your opinion, of this repeated letdown from DCD?

While I know you didn't ask this question to me, I have heard from other collectors. The big let down with DCD is they do not complete lines. As a collector most of us want an entire line and not a few characters then done. I think THINK mind you, the Justice line was a big let down when it was done...

But if you think about it in this light it may make more sense. DCD is a small player in the action figure market. Thus where Hasbro can flood the market with similiar product and still be successful. DCD has to constantly be flooding the market with NEW product to catch the consumer's eye.

So minimates as a property may be a new strategy for them, a line that may need some length of time to be succesful. Where as their other products, is designed to be short burts of high sales but not really designed to be long term success. This might also explain why they can do comic specific sets. Appeal to a collector, no real long term commitments, then move on to the next stylized sensation

It is like the old joke about the young bull and the old bull. DCD is used to running down and F***ing a cow. Instead of walking down and F***ing all the cows.

Who knows, maybe box sets would be a good way to make minimates meet the short term mass appeal . Specific sets for specific story arcs or character groups. Spread out over time. Appeal to a quick market without having to support wave after wave, where we (as the picky bastards that we are) can say. I don't like character x so I won't buy it.

once again just my 2 cents

moc847

I figure it's all for naught anyways. Minimates were the ONLY thing I EVER bought from DCD, and more likely then not will be the last (unless I can get a killer job and start buying busts). DCD has never been all that kind to collectors. They were always just sort of their and did their thing. I always preferred Mattel over DCD. Always. I never liked DCD's stuff as i figured they needed less artist-specific stuff, more articulation and cheaper prices.

Here's a thought though. Mattel has the full DC license, right? What would this mean if they could work with DST and do Minimates? We might actually see DC Minimates, by Mattel, and possibly even the return of JLU style figures. I mean I'm not counting on that at all, but that seems to be the most hopeful outlook right now.

I think I'm going to start an old saying. "When DCD turns it's back on you, turn to Mattel."

I just don't understand why DCD haven't picked up on the direct sales model. Hasbro seems to do just fine selling directly to the consumer online, and lapping up all of the gravy left over between cost and MSRP – profit that usually goes to a retailer.

They'd probably have just as many sales, if not more, as if they stuck with their traditional LCS model.

I just don't understand why DCD haven't picked up on the direct sales model. Hasbro seems to do just fine selling directly to the consumer online, and lapping up all of the gravy left over between cost and MSRP – profit that usually goes to a retailer.

They'd probably have just as many sales, if not more, as if they stuck with their traditional LCS model.

I buy toys that I can pass on to my kids when I have them. DCD figures...blah. I'd be embarrassed giving those figures to my kids. They hardly have any articulation.

Now, Minimates. They have great articulation and they work well with the Lego's I have for my kids. You're dead to me DCD. Dead.

Being a DC fan, it will sadden me if the Minimate lines dies on DCD's watch. This will be a second time for me and I got into Minimates due to the C3 line that died a early death. For those who feel folks need to let it go and let it die, I don't feel that's fair. There are plenty of figures that still need to be made and we shouldn't be discouraging those rallying the cry for more Minimates, particularly DC MM. Hopefully DCD is accessing how to move forward with the line with a temporary hiatus. But if the line dies, it won't be the first time for me. That doesn't mean it won't sting though.

This is a very intelligent business strategy. I like it. If all 1,000 or so MMMV memebrs were offered boxsets online, they would make just as much money selling 1,000-1,500 sets online, cutting out the middleman, then selling 3,000 pieces to retailers.

But F - DCD if they are cutting off Minimates.

WW4M

As I posted this on the DCD boards, I'll repeat it here too:

Seems to me that between the numbers DCD has for what stores were ordering the minimates they sold... and the stuff people have posted online... that's a pretty good indication that people want the line to continue.

I think DCD needs to lodge some kind of formal announcement about how they're "resting" and ask what people would like to see in an official format. Maybe then it'd give the fans more of an inclination to trust them when they say that the line is just "resting" and that they're thinking about the boxed sets rather than just lying to us.

Matt

i'm no fan of DCD as a whole, but i AM a DC fan, so of course i'd like the line to continue whoever is releasing it and however it'll be released. if DCD themselves is being half-assed about it, or fishing for more interest or whatever, that's a damn shame. i wouldn't call everything they said into question, as i know too little about that level of the process, but i couldn't care less either -- i just want my minimates.

i wouldn't be averse to box sets, myself. a [*good*] event or character-themed five/six-pack instead of a full wave would be acceptable [just no variants and as few repeated figures/characters as possible, although event themes would almost certainly call for them].

plenty of possibilities:

Sinestro Corps War. [sinestro, Parallax Kyle, heck why not Kyle as GL or Ion, two Sinestro Corps aliens or Corps Cyborg and Anti-Monitor]

Death and Return of Superman. [Kon-El, Eradicator, Doomsday, Lifesuit/Mullet Superman, Lois Lane]

Countdown to Infinite Crisis. [bit of an obscure set representing the event and its lead-up stuff-- Alexander Luthor, Max Lord or Sascha Bordeaux, Catman, Jean Loring Eclipso, Detective Chimp or Blue Devil]

52. [black Adam, Isis, Osiris, Animal Man, Adam Strange]

Countdown to Final Crisis. [black costume Mary Marvel, Jimmy Olsen, Superman Prime, Monitor, Red Hood]

Knightfall/KnightsEnd. [might just be me who wants this, heh -- Azbats, 90s Nightwing, Balent-style Catwoman, Commissioner Gordon, maybe a battle-damaged Bane]

Teen Titans. [Donna Troy, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, Beast Boy, new Blue Beetle]

Suicide Squad. [Amanda Waller, Deadshot, Dr. Light, Killer Frost, Bronze Tiger]

Outsiders. [Arsenal, Shift/Metamorpho, Grace, Thunder, Captain Boomerang II]

Birds of Prey. [barbara Gordon as Oracle, Black Canary, Katana, Huntress, Manhunter]

JSA. [Mr. Terrific, Alan Scott, Hourman, Atom Smasher, Sand]

whew.

Knightfall/KnightsEnd. [might just be me who wants this, heh -- Azbats, 90s Nightwing, Balent-style Catwoman, Commissioner Gordon, maybe a battle-damaged Bane]

No , it's not just you that'd want this one. I'd love to see a set like this too, and most of the others you listed as well actually.

and can i add:

Crisis on Infinite Earths. [ Monitor , Anti-Monitor , Barry Allen Flash (With alternate "dead" head), Robot Braniac , Earth 2 Superman & Supergirl ]

:)

i'm no fan of DCD as a whole, but i AM a DC fan, so of course i'd like the line to continue whoever is releasing it and however it'll be released. if DCD themselves is being half-assed about it, or fishing for more interest or whatever, that's a damn shame. i wouldn't call everything they said into question, as i know too little about that level of the process, but i couldn't care less either -- i just want my minimates.

i wouldn't be averse to box sets, myself. a [*good*] event or character-themed five/six-pack instead of a full wave would be acceptable [just no variants and as few repeated figures/characters as possible, although event themes would almost certainly call for them].

plenty of possibilities:

Sinestro Corps War. [sinestro, Parallax Kyle, heck why not Kyle as GL or Ion, two Sinestro Corps aliens or Corps Cyborg and Anti-Monitor]

Death and Return of Superman. [Kon-El, Eradicator, Doomsday, Lifesuit/Mullet Superman, Lois Lane]

Countdown to Infinite Crisis. [bit of an obscure set representing the event and its lead-up stuff-- Alexander Luthor, Max Lord or Sascha Bordeaux, Catman, Jean Loring Eclipso, Detective Chimp or Blue Devil]

52. [black Adam, Isis, Osiris, Animal Man, Adam Strange]

Countdown to Final Crisis. [black costume Mary Marvel, Jimmy Olsen, Superman Prime, Monitor, Red Hood]

Teen Titans. [Donna Troy, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, Beast Boy, new Blue Beetle]

Suicide Squad. [Amanda Waller, Deadshot, Dr. Light, Killer Frost, Bronze Tiger]

Outsiders. [Arsenal, Shift/Metamorpho, Grace, Thunder, Captain Boomerang II]

Birds of Prey. [barbara Gordon as Oracle, Black Canary, Katana, Huntress, Manhunter]

JSA. [Mr. Terrific, Alan Scott, Hourman, Atom Smasher, Sand]

whew.

Honestly, you kinda crushed it man. I really like all those ideas...I cn't really come up with anything other than Elseworlds sets....

OH OH !

WAIT!

NEW GODS!

Darkseid, Orion, Mr. Miracle and Big Bertha...uh, I mean Barda.

Whoo! Didn't succumb to the brain fart!

Emailing DCD, retailers, and sending Minimate card backs to DC’s offices, can only help in convincing DCD to continue the line. The only guarantee we have is that if we do nothing then nothing will change.

When the show Jericho was canceled it was the fans who though their lobbying NBC (and by sending pounds of peanuts to the corporate offices) was able to get the show back on the air. When Mezco cancelled their Comic Hellboy line it was the fans who through constant posts on Mezco’s forum and emails to the company were able to get one more figure (Abe Sapien) to complete the heroes in that line. So it’s not unprecedented for a company to change it’s mind.

I can understand anger towards DCD and not wanting to beg them to take your money but for me this isn’t about DCD, it’s about the fans of this line wanting more cool figures for their collection. It’s about a line ending way too soon and about teams missing major members.

DCD might be apathetic about this line but the fans aren’t. To DCD I say, “You might as well get back to that drawing board, to that factory and make me more mates darn it! Because I’m going to pester you until you do!”

Ok. So lets say this campaign is successful. DCD decides to bring the line back. Would you be happy with the line (and still buy them) if they aren't on par quality-wise with the previous results? What if they weren't even on par with C3 'mates? Would you still buy them then?

Keep in mind - I'm not saying I heard anything (I know how these fucking internet rumors start. :D) - I'm just speculating based on my theory that these have not been as profitable for DCD as they anticipated they would be. A logical move would be to cut costs somewhere - quality of the line would be about the only place they could cut costs.

Selling direct to consumer isn't a realistic choice (and thereby cutting out any additional costs for doing business via Diamond) because that isn't in their business model at this time.

A change to the packaging might result in a slight reduction of costs, but would it be enough to warrant the change? IMO, based on what (little) I know about packaging options from my past life working with manufacturers of various products, it would not.

So if selling direct to consumer isnt' an option and changing the package wouldn't give them the bump in profit they're looking for, the only other logical choice would the the figures themselves. (I'm not considering raising the price point on them as a viable option - they're already selling at a MSRP of $9.99 per pack. I don't think the line would survive a higher price than that.)

Again, would you continue to buy them if there was a significant drop in quality of the product?