UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Shamrock's lost customs: Fighting JC and Batman pg. 35

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truth be told, I just don't have any clear Minimates, so I figured I would go with comic accuracy.

Personally, I think an official 'Mate would look pretty cool with a mostly opaque, frosted look.

Now it's time for parts hunting, which got me looking at my parts bucket. Oddly enough I only have 7 2" heads, 4 of which are unpainted. But I have 11 crotch pieces...

Truth be told, I just don't have any clear Minimates, so I figured I would go with comic accuracy.

Personally, I think an official 'Mate would look pretty cool with a mostly opaque, frosted look.

Now it's time for parts hunting, which got me looking at my parts bucket. Oddly enough I only have 7 2" heads, 4 of which are unpainted. But I have 11 crotch pieces...

you could build a crotch monster...

• 1 month later...

Bob: Yeah, white sucks too.

NorthRaider: the way the cape was done is actually completely ridiculous. See, I don't have many parts, so I tend to modify things. Like back when I gave Doorman a cape to match his new appearance, I cut the studded collar thing off of a magneto cape to make it a normal cape, and painted it white. Well, when I go to make Ozzy, I'm hunting for ways to make his collar, and I remember Magneto's cape. Well, I put a Superman cape onto Doorman, and get to work RESCULPTING the collar I had cut off of the Magneto cape previously. Completely ridiculous.

So I was sitting around thinking about how to get me some parts for Minimate customs, and then it struck me, Plastidip!

Plastidip is that stuff used for putting rubber handles on tools and such. You dip whatever you want into it, and it gets a plastic coating. Yay!

So I tried making masks out of it.

masks-1.jpg

It's certainly not perfect. It's initially difficult to remove from the plastic, so some stretching can occur from the peeling. There are also a couple bubbles and you can see that it sinks into the hair hole. I've got a new one drying as we speak, this time I tried wrapping the head in tape first so that the mask will just slide off rather than have to be peeled.

I'm hoping I can use this technique for Rorschach's mask.

Edited by Shamrock

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a break from Watchmen (not a permanent one), I started on an Earth X group. Yay!

First up is Captain America

EarthXcap.jpg

And Namor

EarthXnamor.jpg

I'm also currently working on Venom, and trying to figure out how to make Aaron Stack. To make the group shot a bit bigger.

EarthXgroup1.jpg

I just read the first episode of Earth X online (legally as it's a Wiki link?!?) to get an impression of it and, wow! You did an extraordinary job on those! I haven't met Namor yet, but the detail on 100 year old Cap is great. You really captured his face expression and that giant "A" scar on his forehead! Great work man, seriously!

I don't know how important he's for the whole story, but a Falcon would be great. (I know, thie wings and stuff might be pretty difficult to realize...)

And a question on the recipe: did you entirely sculpt Namor's burning side?

Bob: You could say the burning side is sculpted. I used that Plastidip stuff I've been dipping so many figures into. This time putting some twist-ties onto the figure so that they look like flames. The hairpiece is just half of the Huan Torch's, and half of....anyone know who's hair that is? It's pretty terrible, very square. Cap's tunic is the same stuff, on his upper body. The lower body is just electric tape.

Clay: Looking through the book (I only have the first) I would definetly say these guys warrant Minimates the most:

Venom

X-51

Daredevil

Black Bolt

Thor

Loki

Falcon

Spiders Man

However, with the new Blob, a Tub-Of-Lard Wolverine would be pretty easy. Blob could also be used to make Peter Parker. Of course Reed Richards would be a piece of cake, and if I were to ever re-make my Galactus, I would totally put that spoiler's face under the mask.

That would be no problem if I could find where I put Venom's head.

AAAAHHH!!! WHERE DID IT GOOOO!!!!????

Ok weird whats going on?

no need to reply i get it

Edited by Monkey Lord 5000

Hey, I found her head. Just in time too, because I REALLY wanted to paint a ton of tiny tiny lines.

Remind me to never make a Spider-Man

Forgot to mention, it's Earth X Venom!

EarthxVenom.jpg

EarthXgroup2.jpg

I think this is it from me for Earth X. If I make another one, it will either be Daredevil or X-51. I still expect to slowly finish the watchmen, and I just found something else I REALLY want to make.