UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Who watches the Watchmen?

karamazov80

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked that vid. I'm so hyped for the movie. It's very likely to be an 18 over here in the UK isn't it? I won't be 18 til the month after it comes out, so I'm gonna have to hope that they don't ID me . . .

Obviously the fan in me wants to say it'll be a major crossover hit (like Iron Man or The Dark Knight) but Watchmen has that whole comic obscurity thing working against it. I imagine someone who's not into comics seeing this trade paperback in a bookstore: "Oh, it's DC! But where's Superman/Batman?" The fact that Watchmen itself was a groundbreaking/critically-acclaimed comic series might pique the interest of some more eclectic readers, but otherwise it'll most probably sail over a lot of people's heads.

As far as the movie is concerned, perhaps with some luck all the promotional hype that had been built up for this movie (that first trailer with the Smashing Pumpkins song, the virals, the subsequent increase in sales of the TPB, not to mention the usual Hollywood hyping) might just translate to big box office results. Best-case scenario is obviously something like Iron Man/Dark Knight. A moderately-good-case scenario would be something along the lines of Hellboy 2 (wasn't king of the box office, but was still pretty triumphant for an indie comic property), worst-case scenario would probably be an utter budget fiasco like Speed Racer or The Spirit.

My best guess is that Watchmen might achieve something similar to Hellboy 2, though if the whole "watershed moment in comics" hype sinks in with moviegoers well-enough it wouldn't be too ridiculous to anticipate a Dark Knight/Iron Man result.

First thing came to mind was, Watchmen being a one-shot, it doesn't really matter - at least for me - whether it'll be a groundbreaking success or not, because I don't have to fear about a sequel is going to be produced. That's pretty selfish, but it was my first thought. I do hope that it's paying off in someway for everybody who is involved anyway.

But since the question is whether it's going to be a success or not, I think it might be one with the dvd is going to be released. Watchmen isn't as well known as Batman or other major pop-icons are. But given that it's over 20 years since it was originally released, given that it's critically acclaimed - it's in the top 100 New York Times bestsellers, as a funny book! - there are a lot of fans willing to actually watch the Watchmen on the big screen. Not as much as those who watched the Dark Knight - with the whole Heath Ledger tragedy -, because of it's overall fame in public, but it won't be a fiasco like the Spirit. I say, let's wait for the dvd to be released - Black Freighter! / Under the Hood! - and it will be a success. Provided that Snyder is in his adaption as close to the comic book as the cinematic medium allows him to be - which is very limited compared to the comic. (cf. the visual symmetric composition in chapter vi.) If it's going to be an action movie based on explosions and fighting scenes, no fan will buy the dvd. At least I won't, for the action taking place in the novel is negligible.

i need some advice...i just bought a wacthmen tee from hot topic and am officialy geared up for watchmen but there is one thing missing: the tickets!! should i fandango those bitc*es or should i buy them right then and there?

on a seperate note:watchmen will not be a complete disaster like speed racer or the spirit and it will definatley gross more than one of my favorite movies of last year:hellboy 2.i think it'll fall between 100 mil or 130 mil.

here's why:

you have the readers of the book: 50 mil(est)

hardcore dc fans: 15 to 20 mil(est)

word of mouth and plain curiousity: 15 mil(est)

2nd viewings: 10 mil(est)

nothing to do on 03-06-09:5 to 10 mil(est)

that equals all about 100 mil, if you can think of any other factors throw wm' out there.

Ps. Hurm

Business economics aren't my cup of tea, but I just found that early Watchmen sketch - I guess it's from the Ultimate Edition, which I don't own. (Should I? Is it worth paying like 50$ for a few pages more?)

Beginnings_colorcast-4325.jpg

Here's where I found it. Good thing is, Rorschach turned out to not have a full-body suit with changing ink-blobs. Well done, Mr. Gibbons, well done.

Oh, and ninja, I don't know how ticket selling in the US proceeds, but in Germany I bet I'll get my tickets at the box office. I'm not starting to panic. Yet.

Nice job finding that sketch Bob!

Hmm, Nite Owl, Dr. Manhattan and The Comedian all look pretty close to their final comic looks. The Silk Spectre appears to have been drawn MUCH more "suggestively" then than she is now (though there hardly seems to have been any major change to her costume. Odd.) Ozymandias now seemed to be drawn as being much less-threatening than his early look (probably changed it up so it won't draw too much attention to the fact that

he's the "villain" who blows up New York

) And Rorschach... just, no. (Thank God they changed it! :P)

Funny thing about that Comedian sketch is the combination of the S&M mask and the red clown nose. I see the same reason for change to

Ozymandias outfit as you pointed out. Two things interesting in that are: the movie adaption of his custom is much darker and draws exactly that attention on him being an evil guy. The other thing is, is Ozymandias the "villain" in Watchmen? I mean, you did use quotation marks there, I realized that, but is he? Or is he the "hero"? I mean, OK, there are no stereotypes in Watchmen, and that's one of the aspects I love that book for, but intentionally? It's really hard to say, isn't it.

The other thing is, is Ozymandias the "villain" in Watchmen? I mean, you did use quotation marks there, I realized that, but is he? Or is he the "hero"? I mean, OK, there are no stereotypes in Watchmen, and that's one of the aspects I love that book for, but intentionally? It's really hard to say, isn't it.

The point is that being the fans that we are, we'll all be debating that issue until the cows come home. I used quotation marks for the sake of

all the comic book newbies out there who'll learn Watchmen's ending, oversimplify things and conclude that Ozymandias is a villain. Bully them.

I for one subscribe to the notion that Ozymandias isn't 100% bad guy, but is really a guy with meaningful intentions but a totally fucked-up manner of acting on them. When you really look at things black and white, he did a "wrong thing" for a "right reason", but the simple-minded people who can't look past the giant squid will stick to the belief that Ozymandias is the "villain" of Watchmen.

I love fanboy debates. :wub:

Now here's a more interesting question:

Did Dr. Manhattan do the right thing when he killed Rorschach?

I say yes. I agreed with Ozymandius and I believe that the ends justify the means. So Rorschach stopping something that great is something that I did not agree with. So I was completely with Dr. Manhattan when he did it. Though I was not happy about it, I knew it had to happen.

I say yes. I agreed with Ozymandius and I believe that the ends justify the means. So Rorschach stopping something that great is something that I did not agree with. So I was completely with Dr. Manhattan when he did it. Though I was not happy about it, I knew it had to happen.

I guess that depends on whether you agreed with

Ozymandias faking an alien invasion and subsequently killing hundreds of people for peace. Bear in mind that there's the possibility that his plan isn't foolproof, that even after the trauma of the explosion there is still war going on. Dr. Manhattan sorta hints at that right before he leaves Earth forever, in his last words to Ozymandias.

Not to mention the whole reason it was necessary to kill Rorschach in the first place: "No compromise."

I guess that depends on whether you agreed with

Ozymandias faking an alien invasion and subsequently killing hundreds of people for peace. Bear in mind that there's the possibility that his plan isn't foolproof, that even after the trauma of the explosion there is still war going on. Dr. Manhattan sorta hints at that right before he leaves Earth forever, in his last words to Ozymandias.

Not to mention the whole reason it was necessary to kill Rorschach in the first place: "No compromise."

i wasnt happy with it either but rorschach had to die and war will continue on just like doc manhattan said before he left.

post-2101-1234818866_thumb.jpg

Edited by entertheninja!